Citizenship for minor son after parents naturalisation

fams

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
My son is still 16 and a green card holer. He is in India right now. My husband and I are awaiting our naturalisation. Do we have to bring our son to the US once we become citizens in order to get his passport or can we apply at a consular office? Would be a great help if you guys give me your advice. Also if someone has already had a similar experience, would really appreciate their posting.
Thankyou

He needs to be physically living with you in the US as a permanent resident to obtain citizenship automatically through your naturalization.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
My son is still 16 and a green card holer. He is in India right now. My husband and I are awaiting our naturalisation. Do we have to bring our son to the US once we become citizens in order to get his passport or can we apply at a consular office? Would be a great help if you guys give me your advice. Also if someone has already had a similar experience, would really appreciate their posting.
Thankyou

Provided you can prove that your son is in your custody and living with you (assuming he is only on vacation in India) he will automatically become a citizen once he enters the US since he is already a PR. You can then apply for his passport. However if he lives separate from you then it is a different issue altogether. You will have to provide more details for someone to help you.

It also seems to be the "annoying" case of somebody who opens a thread and never cares to come back to answer questions. It seems strange because the OP seems to have posted quite a bit and should know better how this board works. I will make a wild guess and assume that the child is back in his home country because the parents think that the US education is too liberal or not excruciating and hard enough.

I understand the selfish reasons to obtain US citizenship (future work or education), but I think it demeans the value of citizenship when one is a citizen and doesn't have the experience of living in this society and understanding the values, the political system and other aspects of US society. Anyway, apologies if this doesn't apply to the OP, it is just a general comment.

It also seems to be the "annoying" case of somebody who opens a thread and never cares to come back to answer questions. It seems strange because the OP seems to have posted quite a bit and should know better how this board works. I will make a wild guess and assume that the child is back in his home country because the parents think that the US education is too liberal or not excruciating and hard enough.

I understand the selfish reasons to obtain US citizenship (future work or education), but I think it demeans the value of citizenship when one is a citizen and doesn't have the experience of living in this society and understanding the values, the political system and other aspects of US society. Anyway, apologies if this doesn't apply to the OP, it is just a general comment.

I agree with both the points ... creating multiple threads as well as your comment about citizenship.

To the people who create new threads, I think the moderator should just merge these ... this will send a message and 1 person will not end up with 20 threads discussing the same issue.

On the second point, it is not always being selfish. Sometimes, it is just life. For example ... ketan ... I can understand his/her dilemma ... my file was "lost" for 3 years, and I recall the times and the pain associated when they would not even give me an advanced parole because they need to link it to a file, and there is no file :). And I "realized" had to return to India just 2 weeks before the interview ... if this realization had happened 3 months earlier,I probably would not have even filed N400. Or maybe I would have been posting left, right and center until I got the answer I wanted. However, I can understand the thoughts that go through someone's mind who has spent 9 years in the country, has personal constraints and sees his "invested time" go to waste.

The issue is the justifications. Why should people in this forum, or the CIS care about 9 years it took to GC? That is not the law, and laws are not changed here. And nor is this forum "usually" going to recommend something illegal. But people still want to know, because people do beat the system once in a while, and the OPs believe they can also do it with a little help. However, if someone did beat the system, they are not going to own up to it here.

Of course, for many people, it is not LIFE, but is a simple equation of least work to "get in". So I know what you are saying too.