Citizenship for Childrens

samsung2

Registered Users (C)
I have Green card & am about to get Citizenship. My daughter (now 9) was not born in USA. How & when can she file for Citizenship? Can I apply for her passport after I get my citizenship?

is it true that unmarried sons and daughters of citizens dont have to wait at the NVC. i heard that as soon as somone becomes a citizen they unmarried children under 21 get a visa number instantly

Children under 18

I believe the children must be under 18 to automatically become citizens. I would love to be wrong about this.

Child has to be under 18 for citizenship.

If the child is between 18 and 21, she doesn't have to wait for a visa number for an immigrant visa. So, the green card process would be very quick.

where should we apply

I gotan information that if we take all the documents to the local postoffice we can get the passport.PLz clarify thanks in advance

that's right. If the children are under 18, LPR, Living under custody of parents who naturalized, they become citizens automatically under Child Citizenship Act of 2000, section 320.

You may apply to USCIS using form n600 for a certificate of citzenship or apply for passport (child's BC, GC and parents naturalization certs will be required) at you local psot office (child's physical appearance required) or could apply for both n600 and passport (preferred option)

Iam greatful for that reply.Plz clarify these points
Iam not a citizen.My husband is.Both me and my son are greencardholders.He is 12 yrs old.
1. How long will it take to get the passport if we
apply in the post office.
2.Can we apply for both N600 and PP simultaneously.Where should we send the application for N600.Plz reply .thnks in advance.

do you guys know how quick the gc process is for a unmarried son of a citizenwhose under 21 and who already has his 130 approved ?

Iam not a citizen.My husband is.Both me and my son are greencardholders.He is 12 yrs old.
2.Can we apply for both N600 and PP simultaneously.Where should we send the application for N600.Plz reply .thnks in advance.

With child citizenship act it is sufficient that your husband is a U.S. citizen. In the past both parents needed to be U.S. citizens.

1. If you apply expedited it should take two or three weeks.
2. I believe you can. I think you can send the N-600 with a photocopy of the naturalization certificate and the passport request with the original naturalization certificate. Price for N-600 is going up next month so I guess it is a good idea to file before then. I believe N-600 is sent to the local office.

do you guys know how quick the gc process is for a unmarried son of a citizenwhose under 21 and who already has his 130 approved ?

Assuming he is out of the country, you are just looking at processing time for NVC (national visa center) and CP (consular processing). 6-9 months is probably typical.

If he is in country (e.g. on B1/B2, F1, H1, ...), you can apply for I-485 and it'll probably take 6 months or so. The main issue with this route is that some non-immigrant visas (e.g. B1/B2, F1) do not allow "dual intent", so you could encounter difficulty explaining why during the interview.

With child citizenship act it is sufficient that your husband is a U.S. citizen. In the past both parents needed to be U.S. citizens.

1. If you apply expedited it should take two or three weeks.
2. I believe you can. I think you can send the N-600 with a photocopy of the naturalization certificate and the passport request with the original naturalization certificate. Price for N-600 is going up next month so I guess it is a good idea to file before then. I believe N-600 is sent to the local office.

Right. Passport processing is pretty fast (if you pay extra for expediting). There's a larger backlog now, so it may take longer than 2-3 weeks, but not much.

You only need a copy of your husband's proof of citizenship for the N-600 (you need the original for the passport) so you can do them in parallel.

However, it doesn't really matter, the passport is "proof of citizenship". Sending in an N-600 only gets you a non-expiring proof of citizenship. You should look at it as something for the long run. There's really no hurry for the N-600. If you look at it that way, no matter how badly the USCIS drags it's feet is will be fast enough.

Of course, I say that, but I'm gettting worried about my daughter's nearly 1 year old N-600. She's going to be leaving home to go to university in a couple of months.

based on what you have stated it appears your son is a citizenship. You can go to local post office and apply for an expedited passport. Should take a week or two. Post office should require your husband's naturalization cert in original, your son's GC and copy of BC and original. They should take the naturalization certifivate that you should get back in mail along with the passport. Your son's GC will not be returned. They should return the orginal BC on the spot. They may also require secondary ID of you and your husband, GC, driving license etc. Hope this answers your query

Almost...
  • They will return the GC with the passport
  • It doesn't hurt to throw in your marriage certificate - particularly if the parents' and the child's family names don't all match up (my wife kept her family name, as is required where we were married).
  • Both parents need to show up at the post office
  • I'm pretty sure that the birth certificate will get sent to the state department (and returned with the passport)
  • They will require secondary ID like a drivers license (but this is not sent to the state department - it is used to establish your identity)
  • It will likely take longer than a week or two (unless the backlog has gone away)

The DS-11 (Passport Form) instructions are reasonably clear.

Thank u so much flygod ,KKum and all others for ur valuable suggestions and information.As usual immigration.com has clarified my doubts.thank u everyone for keeping this discussion board active and useful

To the original poster of this thread..

Let me ask this. Has your child been physically present in the States for satifying the physical residency requirement? The instructions of N600 form clearly says that the child should be a GC holder and should be legally and 'regularly' stay with parents to get citizenship.

In short, if your child spend most of the time outside the country after he got his GC, he is not eligible for citizenship. Please read N600 instrcutons between lines.

Correct me if I am wrong.

My question is... I became citizen last month (08/30) and my 13 years old son from my previous marriage lives here with me and has his green card. Do I need to prove that I have his custody only if he is under 14 to get his passport?
My problem is that his father doesn't live here and it's getting complicated to get a copy of my divorce which shows that I have his custody.

If I wait until he becomes 14 (on November) do I still need to show that I have his custody?

I would say that the problem here is that you need to have custody for him to have become a citizen automatically under the child citizenship act of 2000, regardless of age below 18. So, let's say for the sake of argument that you have custody, but don't have the document at hand. Then I would say your son is a citizen automatically. Now, I am not sure if the custody document is needed for passport or not, so let's say for the sake of argument that it is needed. Then I would think you're right on getting him a passport when he turns 14. However, it all depends on that 14 year rule that to be honest I don't know about.

Thanks Huracan!
I'll try to make an appointment at the post office as soon as I get my Certificate back and try to see what they say. I do have his custody, but I never got the divorce papers and my lawyer is charging an arm and a leg to get this document soon, so if after he is 14 it is not needed I won't pay for a document that I won't use anymore, otherwise I'll have to do it, in case they really ask for that even after 14 years old.