citizenship change after OCI

bostonian321

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I had a Mauritius passport when I got my OCI and I traveled to India using it in the past. I recently got a US passport and have not given up my Mauritius passport which allows dual citizenship.

I need to travel to India in 3 weeks and I'm not sure if I can travel to India using my US passport (and return into the US using my US passport) with my OCI since the OCI was issued against my Mauritius passport.

I would appreciate any help in the matter.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can show your US passport and Mauritius when you leave US and show the Mauritius passport + OCI when entering India.

Thanks for your quick response. My concern with doing this is that my Mauritius passport will have the entry stamp when entering India and when returning to the US the officers will not find any destination stamp in my US passport. Will this be an issue?

If I travel to India using OCI + Mauritius passport will I need to reenter US using my Mauritius passport? I'm not quite sure how this works being a dual citizen now.

Thanks!

Tricky question. I think Indian officers should not care about other countries allowing dual citizenship.

Other suggestions is to use the OCI Misc services to transfer OCI sticker to US passport (but may not be possible in 3 weeks).

Thanks for your quick response. My concern with doing this is that my Mauritius passport will have the entry stamp when entering India and when returning to the US the officers will not find any destination stamp in my US passport. Will this be an issue?

If I travel to India using OCI + Mauritius passport will I need to reenter US using my Mauritius passport? I'm not quite sure how this works being a dual citizen now.

Thanks!
show both the passports in India+OCI Card.
when enter US show your US passport.

You can show your US passport and Mauritius when you leave US and show the Mauritius passport + OCI when entering India.

When depart US show your US passport. when arrive at India Airport show the OCI or U visa in Mauritius passport and also show the US passport and OCI Card. they can stamp US passport with arrival stamp or US passport with arrival stamp. when depart India for US show the US passport and if they ask for arrival stamp show the passport that has arrival stamp. when reach US airport show US passport.
** Update us after your trip so that others can read who may be in similar situation.

You can't enter the US with the Mauritius passport. What US visa would you show? You have to enter on the US passport. You would show them your US and Mauritius passport on exit from the US. As far as entry to India, show them everything and let them pick what they want to record in their system. Then use the same docs for exit from inida.

I just learned that I actually do not qualify for a dual citizenship of Mauritius. Will this be a problem given that my OCI states my citizenship is Mauritius? Will I need to apply for a new OCI? I did not find any forms / procedure to apply for an transfer of citizenship with my existing OCI.

rpranesh, you mentioned OCI Misc services to transfer the OCI sticker to the US passport. The OCI I have is a separate card that mentions my citizenship as Mauritius so I'll need the OCI to be updated with my new US citizenship. Where can I learn about the OCI Misc services? The NY Indian OCI services is web applciation only and it's not easy to reach anyone to ask questions so my concern is that if I apply for a new OCI it might not be returned in a few weeks or even a few months.

Thanks

From the OCI misc services indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=173&partid=100&sub=sub6) form passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIMiscMain.jsp

(add h ttp:// to above urls)

OCI card holders traveling to India are advised to carry the Passport containing U Visa sticker and OCI Card to avoid problems at Immigration check points in India. In case registered OCI has obtained a new passport, kindly ensure to carry the passport containing U Visa sticker, new passport and OCI document during all visits to India. ALTERNATIVELY Miscellaneous Services can be availed for transfer of U Visa sticker to new passport. However, before applying for Misc Services kindly read the instructions posted under “OCI Misc Service” particularly the processing period. Since applications are processed in the order of their receipt in the Consulate, this service cannot be expedited.

This seems to indicate it is okay to travel with the new passport as long as the OCI card and the old passport are also in possesion when traveling. Is my interpretation correct?

I just learned that I actually do not qualify for a dual citizenship of Mauritius.
----------------That is Mauritius govt Problem. US has no problem. India does not allow dual Citizenship.
Will this be a problem given that my OCI states my citizenship is Mauritius?
---------------I don't see any problem. you got OCI becase you or your parents were Indian Citizens in past.
Will I need to apply for a new OCI? I did not find any forms / procedure to apply for an transfer of citizenship with my existing OCI.
------------- you don't need that at this time.
rpranesh, you mentioned OCI Misc services to transfer the OCI sticker to the US passport.
The OCI I have is a separate card that mentions my citizenship as Mauritius so I'll need the OCI to be updated with my new US citizenship.
--------------Not needed . OCI is not only for Citizens of US(who wre Indian or parents were Indian) you can see the list of countries whose citizens are eligible for OCI. You have OCI and you are and were eligible for OCI that is why you got OCI. It does mot matter if your Passport is from Canada, UK,Mauritius or US to get OCI what matters is you were Indian Citizen. OCI is only for Entry to India or for living in India .OCI Card has nothing to do with US or Mauritius Entry.

Where can I learn about the OCI Misc services?
----------------Go MHA site or go to OCI status page and that has option for OCI Misc services
The NY Indian OCI services is web applciation only and it's not easy to reach anyone to ask questions so my concern is that if I apply for a new OCI it might not be returned in a few weeks or even a few months.
----- if you apply again through NYC then expect 3-4 months delay. FYI NYC will be taking PIO or OCI applications only through TRAVISA.

Thanks

one of my friend has UK Citizenship(he was born in India) and has UK passport, He got OCI Card in UK from Indian Hight commission in UK and UK passport. on OCI Card his address is of UK and U visa sticker is in UK passport. He recently got US citizenship. He booked his ticket from US with US passport info and went to Mumbai and at Mumbai airport he gave them UK passport that has U visa and OCI Card. When he came back to US before departure at Mumbai airport he gave the UK passport that had Entry stamp and they stamped that passport and at Airline counter before departing India he had to show US passport and at US Airport he entered with US passport. Hope that helps.

you can wait for others if they have any info for you.
Good Luck!!

I just learned that I actually do not qualify for a dual citizenship of Mauritius. Will this be a problem given that my OCI states my citizenship is Mauritius? Will I need to apply for a new OCI? I did not find any forms / procedure to apply for an transfer of citizenship with my existing OCI.

rpranesh, you mentioned OCI Misc services to transfer the OCI sticker to the US passport. The OCI I have is a separate card that mentions my citizenship as Mauritius so I'll need the OCI to be updated with my new US citizenship. Where can I learn about the OCI Misc services? The NY Indian OCI services is web applciation only and it's not easy to reach anyone to ask questions so my concern is that if I apply for a new OCI it might not be returned in a few weeks or even a few months.

Thanks

Not sure what you mean by "do not qualify for a dual citizenship of Mauritius"
does that mean your Mauritius citizenship is no longer valid?
I would encourage you to get an "Entry Visa" on your US passport (after OCI technically not possible) - come back and do the OCI Transfer

>> Ok I did some more research for you
DUAL CITIZENSHIP: RECOGNIZED. Exception: Dual citizenship is recognized for any native-born Mauritian age 21 or older.
this is what I got
- Not even sure whether you can use your OCI before transfer
you should be contacting "Mauritius" embassy first to confirm your citizenship as There is no current Mauritian policy concerning the involuntary loss of citizenship.

Not sure what you mean by "do not qualify for a dual citizenship of Mauritius"
does that mean your Mauritius citizenship is no longer valid?
I would encourage you to get an "Entry Visa" on your US passport (after OCI technically not possible) - come back and do the OCI Transfer

Yes, my Mauritius citizenship is no longer valid. But as I quoted from the OCI Web site, it seems like it should not matter. User "ginnu" above also indicates that I should be okay to travel without the transfer. I do plan on doing the transfer upon return.

OCI card holders traveling to India are advised to carry the Passport containing U Visa sticker and OCI Card to avoid problems at Immigration check points in India. In case registered OCI has obtained a new passport, kindly ensure to carry the passport containing U Visa sticker, new passport and OCI document during all visits to India. ALTERNATIVELY Miscellaneous Services can be availed for transfer of U Visa sticker to new passport. However, before applying for Misc Services kindly read the instructions posted under “OCI Misc Service” particularly the processing period. Since applications are processed in the order of their receipt in the Consulate, this service cannot be expedited.

Also I'm not sure if obtaining an Indian visa is technically allowed / possible if I have obtained an OCI previously.

Yes, my Mauritius citizenship is no longer valid. But as I quoted from the OCI Web site, it seems like it should not matter. User "ginnu" above also indicates that I should be okay to travel without the transfer. I do plan on doing the transfer upon return.

Also I'm not sure if obtaining an Indian visa is technically allowed / possible if I have obtained an OCI previously.
---You will not get India Visa if you have OCI Card. I don't see any the problem for your entry to India. you have Valid U visa sticker that is for LIFE and OCI Card and it does not matter for India in what passport(US or Mauritius ) you have U visa .India has nothing to do with your Mauritius citizenship they don't care if that is valid or invalid it is Mauritius Government matter not India immigration matter. Mauritius Government cannot interfere with Indian government for Indian Citizenship rules and Indian government cannot interfere with Indian citizenship rules.
-------------- When you are back to US after India trip then go to Miscellaneous services for OCI fill the online form send required documents and you can get US visa in US passport and new OCI card with” US citizenship info.

Traveling with US Passport, but having OCI is on Canadian Passport?

I will be travelling with US passport soon. I have got the OCI stamped on my Canadian passport.

1. Has anyone made a trip to India from US with OCI stamped on different passport? Would like to hear their experience.
2. Do I need get it transferred to US passport since there is a Citizenship change?

Any input will be much appreciated.

thanks.

I will be travelling with US passport soon. I have got the OCI stamped on my Canadian passport.

1. Has anyone made a trip to India from US with OCI stamped on different passport? Would like to hear their experience.
-----Wait for others post
2. Do I need get it transferred to US passport since there is a Citizenship change?
-----Not needed. When enter India show your OCI stamp(US Visa) on Canadian passport and OCI card and if they want to see US passport show the US passport. When departing India show US passport and OCI Card(if they stamp Canada passport with arrival Stamp then they may also want to look at Canada passport)
** Update us after your Trip.

thanks.
----------------

Experience with my recent trip

thanks.

Thanks Ginnu for your response.

Well, This is my experience with recent trip.

- No need to transfer OCI (available in Canadian pp) to US passport.
- I was able to use my Canadian passport while entering India and on the way back, used Canadian pp in India (emigration) and presented US passport to US Immigration authorities.

No issues.

Thanks!

The US Officers do not actively look for stamps from other countries. On arrival US citizens or green card holders may not get an stamp on your passport