Citizenship based on 5 Year -- when can apply????

kruz_patz

Registered Users (C)
Hey Folks,:)

GC issue date is 03-05-2005.......What's the earliest date, after which I am eligible to apply for citizenship?

Is it 12-06-2009.....? considering that once can apply 90 days before 5 year anniversary.

Appreciate your replies.........thanks:D

Hey Folks,:)

GC issue date is 03-05-2005.......What's the earliest date, after which I am eligible to apply for citizenship?

Is it 12-06-2009.....? considering that once can apply 90 days before 5 year anniversary.

Appreciate your replies.........thanks:D

Sounds about right, give or take a day here or there since I did not use a calculator.

Do check other threads with the subject "interview before 5 year anniversary date" since many (but not all) approvals are happening very quickly. Depends on your DO and your file. Technically, you can file 90 days early. Practically it might be best to file 75-80 days early.

Although, I am thinking on 14th Dec to sent out the application........but what do u mean by 'many approvals are happening very quickly'.......plz give more input......thax

It's the interviews that are happening very quickly. Some people end up having the interview before the 5 year anniversary, especially those who applied as early as possible (like 85-90 days before). As a result, the interviewer says they cannot make a decision until the 5 years are completed. But then the case sits idle for 1, 2 or 3 months before they hear anything from USCIS. So the result is that some of those people trying to make things faster by applying at 85-90 days end up taking longer overall because of the delay introduced when the interview happens before the 5-year mark. Whereas if they applied at about 70-80 days, the interview most likely would have occurred after the 5 year point, thus enabling the interviewer to make an immediate decision and possibly schedule a same-day oath.

Last edited by a moderator:
interview/oath

Although, I am thinking on 14th Dec to sent out the application........but what do u mean by 'many approvals are happening very quickly'.......plz give more input......thax

The interview should be not earlier than 5 yesrs from permanent recidency.
If you'll apply say 90 days before 5 years, they can call you for interview
before 5 years from permanent recidency; you will go there, immigration
officer will see that there is no 5 years yet, and he/she will cancel
your interview, so you should go there second time. So, you were adviced better to apply not 90 days before but say 70 days before.

The interview should be not earlier than 5 yesrs from permanent recidency.
If you'll apply say 90 days before 5 years, they can call you for interview
before 5 years from permanent recidency; you will go there, immigration
officer will see that there is no 5 years yet, and he/she will cancel
your interview, so you should go there second time.
If they have not sent a deschedule notice before you show up on the interview date, they will usually go ahead and conduct the interview even if the 5 years are not completed. There is no law that says the interview has to be on or after the 5 year anniversary. Only the oath has to wait until completing the full 5 years.