Citizenship application - how does USCIS know I am out of country for more than 12 months?

I read somewhere that tests conducted showed that the RFID chip could be read from metres away, not just centimetres. I keep my passport rubberbanded at all times as it doesn't stay closed on its own.
There are two types of RFID chips - vicinity and proximity. Passport card has the vicinity chip whilst the passport book has the proximity one. The passport card is supposed to be read from metres away. Having said that, I cannot claim that the proximity chips cannot be read metres away because I don't have sufficient knowledge (I am an RFIC analogue engineer myself but I don't deal with antennae and EM wave propagation). However, the passport books were designed in such a way that they can be read only up to 10 cm away and only while being fully open.

IO checking travel dates right at the Interview

Based on some people's experience, IO can check all those dates right at the interview.

is this true? If USCIS has such records so readily, why not check them for everyone? how come some people get naturalized while they spend barely a couple ofmonths in the US and others get rejected for being a few days short of 30 months requirement?

is this true? If USCIS has such records so readily, why not check them for everyone? how come some people get naturalized while they spend barely a couple ofmonths in the US and others get rejected for being a few days short of 30 months requirement?

I personally think checking is not taht easy and requires tedious manual work

The entry/exit data will be exchanged between Canada and USA. From USA/Canada news:

Beginning October 15, 2012, routine biographic information – collected between September 30, 2012, and January 31, 2013 – will be exchanged by both countries. This exchange means that record of entry into one country becomes a record of exit from the other country. This pilot program will not share information regarding Canadian or U.S. citizens.

By June 30, 2014, the entry-exit program will be expanded to include U.S. and Canadian citizens.