Citizenship after 5 years of granted asylum?

JoeF said:
As far as the citizenship issue in this thread is concerned, somebody probably has confused asylum with refugee status. I am surprised that nobody read the quoted thread carefully enough, since that's mentioned there.
Don't say "nobody". ;) I mentioned what you just said in an earlier post of mine. I said : "Now with refugees , technically most of them receive their GC issue date the time they are granted the status and can apply for citrizenshiop 5 years after being granted refugee status. Some people most often confuse a refugee with an asylee in this situation and assume same applies to asylees." ....But as this thread got bigger, it turned out that despite the knowledge of what the law says, some people still wish to experiment by applying early with the possibility of the IO not checking their eligibility date properly. I personally do not advise that to anyone as I see it a complete waste of time and money because the chance of coming across such a grossly incompetent IO is slim, but it seems some people are willing to apply early eventhough they are fully aware that the law tells them not to. And that is the gist of this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
clotty said:
I have a feeling you are not entirely kidding. Yes, I am wordy , and maybe it is blah blah to some people, but in all that wordyness my opinions still remain worthy. Those who appreciate it, appreciate it ,and those who don't, well, I raise their blah blah with a whatever and leave it at that. ;)

I swear I am kidding.

JoeF said:
In my own case, the interviewer even noticed that I didn't have stamps in my passport for all my trips abroad.
Wow, really? what did you say? and did the IO make a big deal out of it or let it rest with your explanation?

clotty said:
Wow, really? what did you say? and did the IO make a big deal out of it or let it rest with your explanation?

Citizenship is a very important benefit and they will review your file with a fine comb. They did in my case and talked about my travels to countries bordering on country of persecution (they just wanted to make sure that I had not entered that country (I had not).

formerasylee said:
Citizenship is a very important benefit and they will review your file with a fine comb. They did in my case and talked about my travels to countries bordering on country of persecution (they just wanted to make sure that I had not entered that country (I had not).
You said "talked about". What exactly did the IO say about your travels to countries bordering your COP? Did he directly question you if you visited your COP eventhough in your N400 it is clearly stated that you had not? Can you share a bit more. And do you know another poster on this forum (who maybe posts only in the citizenship section) who actually had been to their COP and also later had their citizenship interview? We would like them to share their experience with us also because there have been many questions regarding that issue and even one experience will be interesting to hear/read for many people on here.

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeF said:
I knew that sometimes, I didn't get an entry stamp in the passport, so I told her that I kept the boarding passes for all my trips. She didn't want to see them, but I had them with me. In fact, she was impressed that I kept tab of my trips that way.
Ah yeah, good idea; I will bring my boarding passes with me also, just in case.