Children and Citizenship

Ramsis

Registered Users (C)
This question is from a friend of mine, he has 2 kids 11 & 6 years old. They each have a GC and been a resident for 4 years now. He heard from someone that his kids can apply for citizenship. I told him my opinion that this is not true but he asked me to double check so did anyone hear that this is possible?? I searched on the USCIS Citizenship requirements but i could not find any related info. Thanx

This question is from a friend of mine, he has 2 kids 11 & 6 years old. They each have a GC and been a resident for 4 years now. He heard from someone that his kids can apply for citizenship. I told him my opinion that this is not true but he asked me to double check so did anyone hear that this is possible?? I searched on the USCIS Citizenship requirements but i could not find any related info. Thanx

Ramsis,

Once one of the parent becomes US citizen then kids automatically become US citizen, no application for kids required. There is no need to apply for kids' citizenship. Parent can simply apply for kids US passport. After kids get US passport, its a proof that kids are US citizen but if additional proof is required then parent can apply for certificate of citizenship.

What was said previously, is true if they reside with the US citizen parent and have GC.

Kids, residing outside of US without GC, could naturalize via N-600K package, if they have a US citizen parent.

Thanx for the replies i should have mentioned the status of the parents. They are also GC Holders and have been residents for 4 years as well. Basically, they all got their GCs at the same time but the parents were wondering if the kids can get the citizenship first of before them!!

Bobsmyth is right (as he often is). Children cannot become citizens ahead of their parents because one needs to be 18 to apply for naturalization. Children can automatically become citizens once one of the parents or both naturalize. For this the children would need to still be under 18, have their Green Cards and be living in the legal and physical custody of the parent who is becoming a US citizen. Basically, if they are a family who live together the children will become citizens the moment one of their parents takes the oath of citizenship.