Child turning 18 and parent applying for citizenship

prasad s

I am planning to apply for citizenship and my child is going to turn 18 in April. My child also has a green card. I have some questions

1. Is it possible to expedite the naturalization process?

2. What are my options if my child turns 18 before I get my citizenship?

Thanks is advance

I’m in the same situation (literally! Sounds like we have pretty much the same dates). Unfortunately there is no way to expedite on this basis. If the child turns 18 before you naturalize then he/she will have to apply in his/her own capacity to naturalize.

Thanks for the quick response. I read somewhere that you can attach a cover letter stating that the child will age out. But now it the application process is online so I was wondering how to go about.

USCIS has certain criteria that must be met in order to expedite a petition or an application. AFAIK, child turning 18 while the parents petition(s) is/are pending does not meet the criteria. The listed criteria are (Policy Manual - Requests to Expedite Applications):
Severe financial loss to a company or person;
Emergency situation;
Humanitarian reasons;
Nonprofit organization whose request is in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States;
USCIS error;
Compelling interest of USCIS.

However if you’re convinced your situation meets one of those, then proceed by file online and follow up with calling the USCIS 1800 contact center to initiate a service request.

I turned 18 a few weeks after my father naturalized. With the price of a n600 certificate vs n400 application these days. It's a big difference.

Apply and keep your fingers crossed some people get it within 5 months or so

It’s not just the cost, it’s the whole hassle of the civics test and the rest of the process. with kids turning 18, ours for example is planning to go to college in a different state, then it’s the whole issue with 3 months residence before you can file and then the whole long wait starts to even get to interview stage... I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up delaying by a full year or so the kid’s naturalization :(
By the way if under 18 you don’t even need a n600, you can immediately file for a passport same day and that’s proof of citizenship.
I’m really crossing fingers and heck I’ll put in a letter begging for expedition, what can it hurt, but processing time for my FO (I’ve been following another group with a thread on it) seems to be taking about a year :(

By the way if under 18 you don’t even need a n600, you can immediately file for a passport same day and that’s proof of citizenship.

Yes the child can apply for a US passport without a N600 certificate. However, it is always a good idea (IMO) for them to have their own naturalization certificates also and not have to keep relying on their parents naturalization certificate every time they apply for their passports. Things happen. I’ve come across numerous posts by adults who suddenly find themselves in situations where they no longer have access to the parent’s certificate and are engaged in a back and forth dance with USCIS to prove they acquired citizenship as minors based on parents becoming USC.

This is something I certainly will do if that situation were applicable to me.

Yes the child can apply for a US passport without a N600 certificate. However, it is always a good idea (IMO) for them to have their own naturalization certificates also and not have to keep relying on their parents naturalization certificate every time they apply for their passports. Things happen. I’ve come across numerous posts by adults who suddenly find themselves in situations where they no longer have access to the parent’s certificate and are engaged in a back and forth dance with USCIS to prove they acquired citizenship as minors based on parents becoming USC.

This is something I certainly will do if that situation were applicable to me.

Yup, I’d probably do that anyway because I’m one of those people with (as Americans like to say) “an abundance of caution” :)

It’s not just the cost, it’s the whole hassle of the civics test and the rest of the process. with kids turning 18, ours for example is planning to go to college in a different state, then it’s the whole issue with 3 months residence before you can file and then the whole long wait starts to even get to interview stage... I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up delaying by a full year or so the kid’s naturalization :(
I’m really crossing fingers and heck I’ll put in a letter begging for expedition, what can it hurt, but processing time for my FO (I’ve been following another group with a thread on it) seems to be taking about a year :(

Students are an exception to the 90 day rule if they still live/financially rely on their parents, but go to a school in a different state....

Last edited: