Child Passport info - you must need to know

BAMCITIZEN

Registered Users (C)
As I mentioned earlier of my postings we got our passports within one week (8th Aug) after our citizenship interview on aug 1st whereas my kid’s passport got stuck, I was little worried what could be reasons it was holding, last Wednesday (13th August) I got a letter from Passport office stating that, they wont accept the birth certificate which I sent along with the child passport application form. I was wondered why? It was original birth certificate and the same certificate I used it for when I applied for kid’s green card. I thought my child born in a small village and that time Gram Panchayat issued a birth certificate in A4 size paper ( if you look at that it does not look like a birth certificate but the way it will be issued there). Then I called Passport center and spoke to one lady on Thursday (14th) I explained about the Birth Certificate and I told her I live close to DC can I directly go and speak to someone there, she said, okay that is better. I rushed immediately to Washington Passport office without any appointment. I was allowed and went to a counter and got the number. I was called within 20 minutes, they got my child passport application along with other documents. I explained and convinced that lady even though it does not look Birth Certificate but it is an original birth certificate, some how she convinced and asked me to wait, I waited 30 minutes more, she called me again and said ( may be she spoke with her supervisor) okay my child passport will be issued within one week. I was happy and came back home. Saturday Aug 16th when I opened mail box, my child passport is there and they sent back Birth Certificate and also GREEN CARD (some one told me green card will not be sent).

Final our Citizenship Journey over.

As I mentioned earlier of my postings we got our passports within one week (8th Aug) after our citizenship interview on aug 1st whereas my kid’s passport got stuck, I was little worried what could be reasons it was holding, last Wednesday (13th August) I got a letter from Passport office stating that, they wont accept the birth certificate which I sent along with the child passport application form. I was wondered why? It was original birth certificate and the same certificate I used it for when I applied for kid’s green card. I thought my child born in a small village and that time Gram Panchayat issued a birth certificate in A4 size paper ( if you look at that it does not look like a birth certificate but the way it will be issued there). Then I called Passport center and spoke to one lady on Thursday (14th) I explained about the Birth Certificate and I told her I live close to DC can I directly go and speak to someone there, she said, okay that is better. I rushed immediately to Washington Passport office without any appointment. I was allowed and went to a counter and got the number. I was called within 20 minutes, they got my child passport application along with other documents. I explained and convinced that lady even though it does not look Birth Certificate but it is an original birth certificate, some how she convinced and asked me to wait, I waited 30 minutes more, she called me again and said ( may be she spoke with her supervisor) okay my child passport will be issued within one week. I was happy and came back home. Saturday Aug 16th when I opened mail box, my child passport is there and they sent back Birth Certificate and also GREEN CARD (some one told me green card will not be sent).

congrats

No, Ours was surrendered at the time of oath, I was talking about my kid's GC was returned along with passport.

Did you apply your kids passport based on your citizenship? or N600? Did you apply yours and your kids passport at the same time?

No, Ours was surrendered at the time of oath, I was talking about my kid's GC was returned along with passport.

We (my self and my wife) became citizens on aug 1st, directly went to post office then I applied passports for myself, mywife and my kid. When I submit my passport application I have to give my 'Naturalization Certificate' in orginal, same way for my wife's passport also. When I submit for my kid's passport application, they took my kid's GC, original Birth Certificate of kid and they did copy of my Naturalization Certificate' (only mine) thats it. our (3) passports came back exactly within one week, they returned our Naturalization Certificates in separate envelopes on same day. They returned my kid's Green Card + original birth certificate also.

I applied in regular processing. We subbmitted on August 1st came back our passports on aug 8th.

Any doubt???

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the birth certificate has your child's name in it?

My kid's birth certificate does not have his name in it so I submitted an affidavit when applied for the GC. Do I do the same thing for passport?

Thanks

Thinking I dont know is it worth it for applying or not?

People here suggest to apply for N600. It will function as a "root level" document for applying for your kid's US passport. You can de-couple your kid's citizenship from yours with Certificate of Citizenship. This will also establish your kid's citizenship status with USCIS (besides DOS).

People here suggest to apply for N600. It will function as a "root level" document for applying for your kid's US passport. You can de-couple your kid's citizenship from yours with Certificate of Citizenship. This will also establish your kid's citizenship status with USCIS (besides DOS).

I agree. Once you get certificate of citizen ship you would not need to show the old birth certificate (I suspect a passport is also a good document) for your children.

As far as green card is concerned , make a infopass and surrender the crad to uscis, no need to keep it with you. I was observing what were USCIS officers were doing while my naturalization ceremony after they collected my green card. They ticked off a dcoument that green card was surrendered and they destryoed it (This I did not see but am assuming).

May be USCIS keeps track whether green card for a given Alien number has been surrendered before getting citizenship. It;s half a day effort but probably worth it.

vik_b

If a kid who obtained citizenship through their parent's naturalization loses his/her passport, DOS will require the kid's original GC and parent's original naturalization certificate or original US passport. Am I correct in that? If I am correct, on the other hand, carrying a GC when you are a citizen is probably against rules. How can one follow these rules if one DOES NOT want to apply for the kid's Certificate of Citizenship as filling N-600 is NOT a requirement?

Couple of things, children don't need to carry GC, only adults. Once the child becomes an automatic citizen through the operation of law (child citizenship act) that child is no longer a permanent resident, so another good reason not to carry the GC. If you decide not to apply for N600 you can just keep the GC in a safe place and take good care of the passport, better yet, get a passport book and passport card for your child and store each in a different place so one backs up the other document.

Yes, to apply for a child passport you will need to submit originals.

If someone has not applied for Certificate of Citizenship and if they loose their passport and their GC, I wonder how one goes about getting proof of US citizenship.... DOS will not issue US passport without original GC and USCIS will not issue a GC because the kid is not a permanent resident....

Last edited by a moderator: