Chicago Regional DOL Tracker

Contact Individual Lawyers

Guys, I do not believe that writing letters to any senator is going to help us here. Not because the senator won't care but because he will find no problem in the process. DOL is restructuring in a big way to help solve backlog problems and this is what we are going to hear.

What I suggest is that we contact Lawyers who have access to DOL officials who can get us an answer. AILA might be someone who could get us some answers. Your lawyers who you all have paid a lot of money are the only once who could get you any answers.

In my case my lawyer was the only once who could email someone in Chicago RO and get some information. The same can apply to you all, put pressure on your own lawyer to get more information.

The two question that concern us the most today are:

1. When will they start processing application again?
2. Which cases will go to BRC?

I am sure someone in DOL must know the answer to these questions. It is for us now to get them answered.

Petition

Guys,

I am one of the guys who was originally planning a petition along with puhrince and a few others...

Well, i agree we have to submit something, but it should mainly be urging Chi-dol to start processing cases...and not about the overall plan..because as someone said, they would not be able to offer much help if it is a national thing already...we should concentrate on Chi-DOL starting to process and approve applications...and nothing else...what happens later, it goes to Backlog reduction center or the trash bin..is for later....

Hmm.. That is the life in US, you enjoy it or not, that is what it is all about. Do you hold a Masters in Computer Science Engineering?

god_is_hope said:
Sorry, if title looks more bullish. Infact not a good day for me.
Back in Oct 2002, I switched from perm job to contract in anticipation of getting green card strait. Got it applied in Jan 2003 in RIR. Labor reached to Chicago regional on March 24 and since then it stuck there. Between I moved from chicago - San Diego - Wisconsin - Arkansas. Not to mentions bench period/location because bench is bench who cares where. Holding current assignment since Nov 2003 when Chicago regional was processing Nov 2003 labor, and it looked pretty stable until Manager offered fulltime in April 2004. Now got a deadline Dec 31, 2004, join as fulltime or leave. What can I do, convince my 5 years son in the middle of school year that Alaska is best place and has better school and daddy got 3 months project there? My recruiter(Desi) is happy,because he has confidence that I will find job myself and he will get referral commission again on top of monthly. What u call them, there is a word in hindi. Man/Madam, I want to kick some B.... , but I am a poor law abiding US educated, tax paying Non Immigrant, like most of you.

So Please don't get distracted from the labor certification topic. My dear fellow non-immigrant there are other theads where u can discuss cutoff date, I485 etc. etc. and would be mutually beneficial.

Writing senator is obviously a good idea covering all the facts. Otherwise it will take another 3 years to process my March 2004 labor by Chicago Regional. Bythat time I would have covered 46 more states and my son will have difficulties keeping track of school he attended.

Hi gp111,
My PD at IOWA is Jan 28 ,2004 and currently stuck at Chicago DOL.
So if Chicago starts working fast on clearing the cases and hypothetically if I get my Labor is approved in the first week of Decemeber 2004 ( and there is no retrogression )- can I apply for both I140 and 485 ?
Correct me if I am wrong , but what I understood from your comment is that I cannot apply for 485 immediately ,even if there is no retrogression.

gp111 said:
Current Processing Date has nothing to do with PD.. Current Processing Date is "ND" ( Notice Date : Date on which I-140 / I-485 filed)...

PD Cutoff will be established by USCIS based on LC approved in recent past & it is said to be Mid of 2002 (EB3 - India, China & Philippines )... So if a Person born in any of these countries gets approval with Labor PD date Jan-04, he/she will have to wait for PD cutoff becomes Jan-04 for filing I-485

Thanks puhrince.

puhrince said:
you should ask this question in any of the I-1485 forums..and by the way,even though it says May 02 as current processing time,thats for the older applications - the newer ones(filed in 2004) are getting approved within 10 months

god_is_hope,
It was wonderful reading your post. I know it sounds bad on my part that I'm appreciating the fact that you are going thru, maybe, one of the lousiest times of your life. I say this becoz, I can take this post & show my wife & say...here is one more guy like me, wherein we have made reasonable efforts to get the freakin gc, but...FATE...also plays a role. My state labor was abt to be cleared fm Denver & now heard that they have stopped working as they will be moving the cases to BEC, Dallas.
Good luck ahead...I believe its a matter of time & we should be getting there...you know every dog has his/her day.
Good luck!!
lfgc
PD-Denver-Mar-02

gcneednow said:
Hi gp111,
My PD at IOWA is Jan 28 ,2004 and currently stuck at Chicago DOL.
So if Chicago starts working fast on clearing the cases and hypothetically if I get my Labor is approved in the first week of Decemeber 2004 ( and there is no retrogression )- can I apply for both I140 and 485 ?
Correct me if I am wrong , but what I understood from your comment is that I cannot apply for 485 immediately ,even if there is no retrogression.

If there is no retrogression You can apply I-485 anytime.

Hi KnowDOL

Is there any benefit of having masters in computer science?

knowDOL said:
Hmm.. That is the life in US, you enjoy it or not, that is what it is all about. Do you hold a Masters in Computer Science Engineering?

correct me if i am wrong - but based on the info i read on the upcoming new NPC, according to them from Jan 1, 2005 they are trying to make it fair for everyone from all regions by processing cases based on PD, and first in first out policy..they also said cases from backlogged states like NY,NJ will benefit from this and WI,MN,IL will lose out..
so based on this for example lets take my case - my state labor was filed in MI and my PD is Jan 23,03, and was sent to Chicago DOL on Jun 3, 2004..so does that mean MY case will be processed ahead of a guy (say from Minnesota) whose PD is Oct, 03 but his case reached earlier to Chicago DOL on say, March 2004 ??

If thats so,I would like to hear from our lawyers regarding this..!

mohan_raghukul said:
Guys,

I am one of the guys who was originally planning a petition along with puhrince and a few others...

Well, i agree we have to submit something, but it should mainly be urging Chi-dol to start processing cases...and not about the overall plan..because as someone said, they would not be able to offer much help if it is a national thing already...we should concentrate on Chi-DOL starting to process and approve applications...and nothing else...what happens later, it goes to Backlog reduction center or the trash bin..is for later....

Guys,
I am also travelling in same boat, my RD at Chicago is 28th. March 2004. As we all understood they are not even moving a day per month. Better some of us take the initiative and contact Khanna like reputed attorney to contact DOL, Chocago to find the answers for these questions. If required we all can contribute money to pay their fee. Who can take this intitative?

Feb04 said:
Guys, I do not believe that writing letters to any senator is going to help us here. Not because the senator won't care but because he will find no problem in the process. DOL is restructuring in a big way to help solve backlog problems and this is what we are going to hear.

What I suggest is that we contact Lawyers who have access to DOL officials who can get us an answer. AILA might be someone who could get us some answers. Your lawyers who you all have paid a lot of money are the only once who could get you any answers.

In my case my lawyer was the only once who could email someone in Chicago RO and get some information. The same can apply to you all, put pressure on your own lawyer to get more information.

The two question that concern us the most today are:

1. When will they start processing application again?
2. Which cases will go to BRC?

I am sure someone in DOL must know the answer to these questions. It is for us now to get them answered.

Let's write petition to Senator Barack Obama (ILL)

Guys! This is what I received from Mr. Khanna. A magnanimous gesture from Mr. Khanna's part. See below email reply under *****. Here is how I propose to proceed in this regards.

1. Let's some one from us to volunteer for writing petition. I wish I had command on literature or experience in this field. Please come forward, your contribution will be remembered.
2. A temp email account will be opened for voluteer, if someone want to send him suggestion/comments etc.
3. Volunteer will publish first petition draft on this forum. The draft will be open for comment for 3 business days from the day of publication.
4. second draft will be publised on this forum based on accepted comments.
5. All of us will verify the final draft in next 2 business day.
6. Verified draft will be sent to Mr. Khanna for publication in this site for signature collection.
7. Once have enough signature, Mr. Khanna office will send that to Senator.

We will sort out whatever issue through this forum. Someone please volunteer for writing petition.....

Rajiv S. Khanna <clients@immigration.com> to me
More options 2:30am (11 hours ago)

Our services for something like this are free. Prepare a petition. we will post it online for you. We will also send it on your behalves. Regards. Rajiv.

At 10:32 PM 11/23/2004, you wrote:

Chicago regional DOL is exceptionally slow in processing perm labor applicaton. For last 1 year they moved 1 month in case of RIR. No doubt delay is hurting us. A petition describing our plight to Senator Obama might be one healing patch. How u can help us in that and what will be the cost. Figure needed to put in forum for donations from all concerned. Please do reply. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rajiv S. Khanna
rskhanna@immigration.com; 703-908-4800 extn. 110
Law Offices Rajiv S. Khanna, P.C.
5225 N. Wilson Blvd., Arlington, VA 22205

more bad news...more delays due to H2-B cases

Currently, new H-1B visa numbers are not available until October 1, 2005 except a few cap-exempt employers, and unconfirmed sources indicate that this has created surge of H-2B temporary labor certification application filing as an alternative, which should obviously take away the man-hour of the available resources at the state and federal foreign labor certification offices. Without doubt, it will also exhause the H-2B cap numbers quicker than usual. The bad news for permanent labor certification processing is consequently mounting.

The upcoming H-1B and L-1B new laws are expected to add pressure to the alternative nonimmigrant visa options, the most obvious alternative of which is the H-2B petitions, because of the increasing restriction to the certain H-1B and L-1B employers for bringing in the required workers from outside. Even without this pressure, the DOL has been suffering form the backlogs in permanent labor certification processing owing to the limited resources at both state and federal levels.

Who's writing Petition ??

May be puhrince could write it better, it seems like he has good command over immigration related law and also literature. So, will you write a letter on behalf of all of us. god_is_hope is thinking of writing a letter to Senator where as some others in the forum think that it should be addressed to DOL chicago alone, as they are the only one's [among other DOL's] at this time not opening any permanent cases. I think we should ddo this quickly within next 2 days. Hopefully puhrince will check this section out in the middle of this holiday season.

puhrince said:
Currently, new H-1B visa numbers are not available until October 1, 2005 except a few cap-exempt employers, and unconfirmed sources indicate that this has created surge of H-2B temporary labor certification application filing as an alternative, which should obviously take away the man-hour of the available resources at the state and federal foreign labor certification offices. Without doubt, it will also exhause the H-2B cap numbers quicker than usual. The bad news for permanent labor certification processing is consequently mounting.

The upcoming H-1B and L-1B new laws are expected to add pressure to the alternative nonimmigrant visa options, the most obvious alternative of which is the H-2B petitions, because of the increasing restriction to the certain H-1B and L-1B employers for bringing in the required workers from outside. Even without this pressure, the DOL has been suffering form the backlogs in permanent labor certification processing owing to the limited resources at both state and federal levels.

New Developments in BEC

Source: Murthy.com

DOL Transition Watch : Backlog Reduction Update
Posted Nov 26, 2004

The U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) indicated in early November 2004 that the Backlog Elimination Centers (BECs), also sometimes referred to as Backlog Reduction Centers, have been experiencing a software problem that prevented them from sending Center Receipt Notification Letters. These letters should be issued sometime in late November or early December 2004. Our October 29, 2004MurthyBulletin article, DOL Transition Watch: DOL Provides More Insight, available on MurthyDotCom, will prove helpful to those who are unfamiliar with the DOL restructuring.
©MurthyDotCom
The BECs may receive some cases from the Atlanta and Chicago national processing centers. The DOL is still in the process of assessing which State Workforce Agencies (SWAs) have the oldest cases to send to the BECs. We at The Law Office of Sheela Murthy, P.C., continue to track developments on the DOL transition and will regularly update MurthyDotCom and MurthyBulletin readers on these important changes.

As I said earlier,I don't think contacting the senators is going to do us any good now..there is news that there is a system in place now and every week we hear about the BEC's and NPC..now all we need to find out is whose case will go where,who gets first priority and whose case will be processed first

But if you still feel like filing a petition,again as i mentioned earlier, there was a thread earlier in the Labor Cert forum where we discussed the draft for this (LongestLabor was leading it) - you may want to check on it..if you all feel this is the way to go,I shall gladly help.

knowDOL said:
May be puhrince could write it better, it seems like he has good command over immigration related law and also literature. So, will you write a letter on behalf of all of us. god_is_hope is thinking of writing a letter to Senator where as some others in the forum think that it should be addressed to DOL chicago alone, as they are the only one's [among other DOL's] at this time not opening any permanent cases. I think we should ddo this quickly within next 2 days. Hopefully puhrince will check this section out in the middle of this holiday season.

Puhrince & All,

I think we should go ahead and put a letter to all concerns with the help of Rajeev Khanna..
Raising voice for right things never heart. if we will do so we will not loose anything and there is a possibility for get it expedite and they will hear us/our concerns/our voice..

I am ready to help for whatever I can do including financial contribution, but I am not good enough to draft the letter.

Murthy attorney's answer

I had posed a question in the Murthy forum where attorneys usually reply..below is the reply i got..i guess that there is a chance that applicants from Indiana (currently processing RIR cases from Apr 2001 !) ,followed by Michigan (Aug 03) can expect their cases to be processed before any others -which is good news..its finally fair

puhrince
Member posted November 27, 2004 11:58 AM
correct me if i am wrong - but based on the info i read on the upcoming new NPC, according to them from Jan 1, 2005 they are trying to make it fair for everyone from all regions by processing cases based on PD, and first in first out policy..they also said cases from backlogged states like NY,NJ will benefit from this and WI,MN,IL will lose out..
so based on this for example lets take my case - my state labor was filed in MI and my PD is Jan 23,03, and was sent to Chicago DOL on Jun 3, 2004..so does that mean MY case will be processed ahead of a guy (say from Minnesota) whose PD is Oct, 03 but his case reached earlier to Chicago DOL on say, March 2004 ??

If thats so,I would like to hear from our lawyers regarding this..!

Attorney_13
Attorney posted November 28, 2004 09:06 AM
According to Department of Labor memorandum, cases will be processed first-in/first-out according to priority date, no matter the jurisdiction. Whether cases that had been with the regional office will benefit from the date it was sent to region, versus its priority date, is not clear.

I agree may be contacting Senator will not give us any fruit as they already started a Process. But for sure it will be successful or effective if we contact DOL, Chicago. and we all feel you are the right candidate to make a draft, we all will suggest if there are any cahnges needed. Please act ASAP. Even a day counts. It is rediculous and frustrationg, it is very slow almost like from one year
Thanks
Sravu

puhrince said:
As I said earlier,I don't think contacting the senators is going to do us any good now..there is news that there is a system in place now and every week we hear about the BEC's and NPC..now all we need to find out is whose case will go where,who gets first priority and whose case will be processed first

But if you still feel like filing a petition,again as i mentioned earlier, there was a thread earlier in the Labor Cert forum where we discussed the draft for this (LongestLabor was leading it) - you may want to check on it..if you all feel this is the way to go,I shall gladly help.

Chicago....DOL...HELP !!!!!!!!!!

I got my case number from chicago DOL about six months ago by calling, (312)596-5400,

case # ---- 054XXXXX
RD DOL - 6/1/2004

now I called the new phone number is (312)886-8000 and was just asking about my status asking about permenant RIR applications (so we were not talking about two different things) and they said they dont have the case in the system, also they couldnt find it by my name or employer name.

PLEASE HELP, WHAT DOES THIS MEAN ?

kothari_rupesh,

Did you try the AVM? (312-353-1059)

Incase you still did not find it, ask your attorney to call DOL.