Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

Interview Scheduled - Chicago, IL

Received the Interview Letter on 9/8 for both myself and my spouse.
Interview is on 10/15 (more than 7 months after the priority date!)

IL for chicago!!!!

Congrats cathat. :cool:
We also received IL for Chicago DO on 9/8/12. Our interview is on 10/16/12. Almost six months from PD. :eek:
Anyway, light at the end of the tunnel hopefully.

Test Passed - Almost there. Another 6 days.

Finally my wait is over after 16+ years.

We went 15 min. late. Drove from Aurora to downtown. As usual there were about 100 people in the lobby. After checking in, we were given pagers and the pagers were not working. My name was called but I missed it and after almost 1/2 hour, the officer called my name again. She was a very nice lady. She asked me why didn't you showed up the first time and I told her that I was relying on the pager. I went to the Officer's room and was asked to raise my right hand and take the oath. After that the interview process started. She explained me the entire process. 6 questions were asked.
1. What happened on 9/11.
2. Name of the ocean on the west side of US.
3. What is the "rule of the law".
4. How old do citizens have to be to vote for President?
5. What is the name of the national anthem?
6. Why does the flag have 13 stripes?

Reading/Writing How many U.S. Senators are there? [Reading]/There are one hundred Senators. [Writing]. After this I was told that I passed the test and now on the interview and she went through the N-400 application and there were couple of changes made. I forgot to add one trip to India [totally missed it]. The officer made an entry. I was arrested for driving without insurance and on a suspended license (fortunately it was classified as petty offence i.e., regular offence). The office asked me what happened and I explained the situation and she continued. At the end of the interview, the office told me that I was approved and asked me to wait for few minutes so that she can wrap the paperwork and ask me which oath dates were suitable for me. When she asked me which dates is suitable, I told her that my wife is also interviewing and she is going for name change. She quickly found out who she was going to interview with and told me that Sep 17th is a special day (aka Citizenship day) and told me that's the only day available for name changes. I said it is fine with me. As the officer walked me out of the office to the lobby, she asked me if I was given a white token (which is for family and the same officer would conduct the interview for all the family members) and I said no. My wife went to the interview and came out with a big smile and later I found out that my file was with the office who took my wife's interview. So, we got the same day oath.

My wait is almost over. There is a light at the end of the tunnel :). I can see it, getting brighter and brighter.

Regards,
Happy forum member.

Interview in Chicago almost here (2 weeks) :cool:
I'll keep the forum informed. Thanks for all the help.
Anybody with Chicago interview lately? Please post your experience

Chicago interview experience

My wife and I had our interviews in Chicago today. Both of our cases were recommended for approval :D.
A lot of construction around chicagoland so plan accordingly. We arrived like 45 minutes before appt time. We went through security, checked in and were provided with pagers ( I don't think they were working). My name was call first. We both have very nice IOs. I was sworn in and the test started:

1) What is the supreme law of the land?
2) What is the highest court in the land?
3) How many justices in the supreme court?
4) Who becomes president if the president and vicepresident can not serve?
5) One of the longest river in the US?
6) Can not remember the last one

We went through several questions of the application relatively fast (10 or so questions). Both my wife and I were very impressed and grateful with the courtesy of both IOs and the receptionist. Long day with a happy ending. Thanks again to everyone in the forum for all their help.

My spouse and I were Recommended for Approval after our interviews. The on-line status has not changed yet (still showing Interview Scheduled).

We were given a yellow tag that listed both my and my spouse's A-numbers when we checked-in so they know that we both can be together for oath ceremony if we are approved. I was called first after about 20 mins (even though my spouse's appointment was scheduled first). While I was still being interviewed, my spouse was called by another officer and she was out even before I came out.

My interview started with the Civics/ English test. After I passed that, the IO went through my application in detail. IO had my A-file, which was pretty thick, and referred back to that file for a few documents.

Since I was outside the country (with my family working for my current employer at their overseas facility) for over a year during the past 5 years, the IO asked me for our tax returns and reviewed my travel record. I also had a N-470 approved to preserve continuous residence during my overseas assignment, so the IO reviewed that and asked my employment verification letter. Once that part was taken care, the other parts of the application got reviewed very quickly.

IO asked me about my speeding ticket, which I had indicated in the application (and I had received a Yellow Letter because of that). I told the IO that I paid the fine and have court disposition with me. IO kept continuing with the application and said it was not needed. I was given a letter at the end that indicates I have passed the Civics/ English tests and that my application has been recommended for approval. IO mentioned that the oath letter will be mailed out.

Both the officers who interviewed me and my spouse were very nice, courteous and made us feel very comfortable. Now the waiting begins for change of status on-line and the oath letter.....

@pajerito - Congratulations!

Has your on-line status changed? Please post when it changes / when you receive your oath letter. Thanks!

in oath shedule que ?

My wife and I received a text this evening. Both of our applications have been placed " in the oath ceremony que": :confused:
It states tht we "will receive a notice when the ceremony is scheduled" :confused:
I know that the last cremony in our area (central illinois) is Nov 16. The IO that interviewed me told me that as well. Does anybody knows why and how long do you have to be in que before being sheduled for the oath.
We still happy though, one step closer. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@pajerito - That's good news and you are one more step closer.

Our on-line case status has not changed and still showing "Interview scheduled...". Hope it moves to the next step soon so we can catch the bus for oath ceremony this year.

You are right. Here are the remaining Oath ceremonies in Central IL:

http://www.ilcd.uscourts.gov/news/2012-naturalization-ceremony-schedule

November 2 10:00 AM Urbana
November 9 2:00 PM Springfield
November 16 10:00 AM Peoria
November 16 2:00 PM Peoria

Last edited by a moderator:
My on-line status changed last night to "Placed in Oath Ceremony Que..... a letter will be mailed out when the ceremony is scheduled". No change in my spouse's status yet.

My on-line status changed last night to "Placed in Oath Ceremony Que..... a letter will be mailed out when the ceremony is scheduled". No change in my spouse's status yet.

Congrats :). We are in the same boat now. I'm hopeful I'll get another update at the end of this week or next to have the ceremony scheduled. There is only two more ceremonies (same day- Nov 16) in Peoria (my area). We'll see.
Are you waiting for Springfield or Peoria?

@pajerito: Either place is good for us :) I too hope that the oath ceremony gets scheduled soon. It has been almost 8 months since our applications were mailed out!

If there are others in the forum from Central / Southern IL who are waiting for oath scheduling, please share your experiences. Thanks.

@pajerito: Either place is good for us :) I too hope that the oath ceremony gets scheduled soon. It has been almost 8 months since our applications were mailed out!

If there are others in the forum from Central / Southern IL who are waiting for oath scheduling, please share your experiences. Thanks.
It might be too late for Springfield. I think it would be Peoria for both you guys and us. Lets keep posting as updates occurs.

It might be too late for Springfield. I think it would be Peoria for both you guys and us. Lets keep posting as updates occurs.

Hi guys, My interview was also on 17 Oct in Chicago. Everything went fine but still waiting for oath letter. Status is still showing interview. You are lucky to have at least got in queue. How to find Oath ceremony dates in my area. I am in Glenview so believe in Chicago region.

Irony in your Interview date and the questions asked

Finally my wait is over after 16+ years.

We went 15 min. late. Drove from Aurora to downtown. As usual there were about 100 people in the lobby. After checking in, we were given pagers and the pagers were not working. My name was called but I missed it and after almost 1/2 hour, the officer called my name again. She was a very nice lady. She asked me why didn't you showed up the first time and I told her that I was relying on the pager. I went to the Officer's room and was asked to raise my right hand and take the oath. After that the interview process started. She explained me the entire process. 6 questions were asked.
1. What happened on 9/11.
2. Name of the ocean on the west side of US.
3. What is the "rule of the law".
4. How old do citizens have to be to vote for President?
5. What is the name of the national anthem?
6. Why does the flag have 13 stripes?

Reading/Writing How many U.S. Senators are there? [Reading]/There are one hundred Senators. [Writing]. After this I was told that I passed the test and now on the interview and she went through the N-400 application and there were couple of changes made. I forgot to add one trip to India [totally missed it]. The officer made an entry. I was arrested for driving without insurance and on a suspended license (fortunately it was classified as petty offence i.e., regular offence). The office asked me what happened and I explained the situation and she continued. At the end of the interview, the office told me that I was approved and asked me to wait for few minutes so that she can wrap the paperwork and ask me which oath dates were suitable for me. When she asked me which dates is suitable, I told her that my wife is also interviewing and she is going for name change. She quickly found out who she was going to interview with and told me that Sep 17th is a special day (aka Citizenship day) and told me that's the only day available for name changes. I said it is fine with me. As the officer walked me out of the office to the lobby, she asked me if I was given a white token (which is for family and the same officer would conduct the interview for all the family members) and I said no. My wife went to the interview and came out with a big smile and later I found out that my file was with the office who took my wife's interview. So, we got the same day oath.

My wait is almost over. There is a light at the end of the tunnel :). I can see it, getting brighter and brighter.

Regards,
Happy forum member.

Well,
Interview date 09/11/2012 and your first question being "What happened on Sept 11"... weren't you tempted to answer it - I was called for my Citizenship interview :D. Congratulations.

@pat_val: I think that you probably will have your oath scheduled in Chicago area. Please do keep the forum updated on your case progress and wish you the best.

My spouse had the interview on Oct-15 along with me and both of us got recommended for Approval, but the case status for my spouse is still showing as "Interview Scheduled". No updates so far :-(

Mine is in "Placed in Oath Scheduling Que...". At least moved an inch closer :)

Looks like for whatever reason, people who reside outside of Chicago-land in IL need to have the oath administered by a federal judge and so they typically schedule it in the US Federal court, at least in Central IL region. They only schedule few oath ceremonies in this area (typically 3 or 4 a year). So it's a challenge to get scheduled with minimal delays. The last one (at least as per the US federal court website) in Central IL area is Nov-16. Keeping fingers crossed at this time :confused:

@cathat: Still waiting here. I had hope for text update tonight. Hopefull in the next few days. Last ceremony in this area is 2 weeks away.

could it help to call the court in central IL ? Baikal3 or others gurus please advise.

Does any forum member knows, if it could be of any help to call the federal court in central IL, to make sure those of us in the que for oath make it to the last oath ceremony on november 16 :confused: