Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

Status Changed to Interview Letter Mailed

Received Yellow Letter on 6/4 for bringing state issued photo ID to interview and Status changed to "Interview Letter Mailed" on 6/5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi TedS,

Could you post questions were asked, if you remembered?

Thanks

Had my interview today in Chicago. I passed. Oath is next Thursday. Very very excited and relieved. Here’s is my experience:

For a 10:45 appointment, I got there at 10:20. It was a big room full of people. This surprised me based on accounts of other interviews where people say there was no wait, and very few people.

I was called in at 10:50. The lady was very nice and professional. After oath, we did the test and I passed. She then asked where I worked. I gave her full details of my work as she seemed very interested. She looked like she liked my answers.

The interview was thorough. I feel like there were a couple of occasions she could have given me a hard time but she just smiled and moved on.

In the end, she said, I have approved you, and wait outside for oath letter. I asked, can I do same day oath and she said to me with a look that says, nice try buddy but not so fast, no we don’t do same day.

I have to say that the interview is very thorough although very professionals. She had a 2 inch file on me in front of her.

Yahoo!!! I feel free.

N400 Citizenship Chicago

Hi Guys,

I have not seen very many guys from Chicago area updating , either there are not many people from Chicago area or may be Chicago DO is over loaded. can some on share some time line info on this thread , for Chicago.

Thanking you

IL Scheduling.

Fingerprints done on the 21st of June and status change on the 25th of June to "in line for interview scheduling".

Chicago DO N-400 - In line for Interview Scheduling >60 days

Seems like a long line for Interview scheduling at Chicago DO. I'm in line for 2 months now.....
Anyone else out there waiting for interview scheduling this long? Thanks!
Here's my N-400 timeline:

N400 Chicago

Seems like a long line for Interview scheduling at Chicago DO. I'm in line for 2 months now.....
Anyone else out there waiting for interview scheduling this long? Thanks!
Here's my N-400 timeline:

Looks like Chicago DO is Overloaded :) very few people from Chicago DO getting there YL and IL. :)

Hi Anidal,
How did your interview goes yestewrday. Would you mind to share your exp and questions?

Thanks

My wife and myself were called in around 12:10 and 12:15 PM for scheduled time of 10:45 AM.

After giving me oath and asking for usual document like photo id, green card, interview letter etc, the civic test was conducted. The questions were

national anthem?
what is law?
13 stripes in flag?
ocean on pacific coast?
age when one can vote for president?
who is speaker of the house?

English test was reading/writing one sentence. Then officer asked if there was any intent to change name. If I still lived at same place and worked for the same employer as was on application. Then, he walked me through all the yes/no questions towards the end in application. Then, he said that he was approving my application and needed to make sure that my wife and me got the same time for oath ceremony as he was going to schedule us for oath ceremony on coming Monday Jul 23.

The whole interview took about 14 minutes for me. He then directed me to waiting area where I needed to wait for my oath ceremony letter.

My wife's case the officer did not ask any additional questions other than civic and English test. She came out in about 10 minutes.

We are going for oath on Monday Jul 23rd at 11 AM. It would be so good to get to this day after 9 years with immigration process.

That's Great New. Cong Anidel.
Could you please share Civic question officer asked to your wife. I believe there 2 or 3 sets of per-printed questions.

Thanks,

My wife and myself were called in around 12:10 and 12:15 PM for scheduled time of 10:45 AM.

After giving me oath and asking for usual document like photo id, green card, interview letter etc, the civic test was conducted. The questions were

national anthem?
what is law?
13 stripes in flag?
ocean on pacific coast?
age when one can vote for president?
who is speaker of the house?

English test was reading/writing one sentence. Then officer asked if there was any intent to change name. If I still lived at same place and worked for the same employer as was on application. Then, he walked me through all the yes/no questions towards the end in application. Then, he said that he was approving my application and needed to make sure that my wife and me got the same time for oath ceremony as he was going to schedule us for oath ceremony on coming Monday Jul 23.

The whole interview took about 14 minutes for me. He then directed me to waiting area where I needed to wait for my oath ceremony letter.

My wife's case the officer did not ask any additional questions other than civic and English test. She came out in about 10 minutes.

We are going for oath on Monday Jul 23rd at 11 AM. It would be so good to get to this day after 9 years with immigration process.

Received YL and IL on 08/09/12

Finally received YL and IL both in one envelop. Interview Data on 09/11. Online message did not change. Very strange.

wating for chicago

I'm new to this site posting but not reading it. I don't konw many things about postings, so my apologies from incomplete info (if any).
Me and my wife have been waiting for more than 60 days for our interviwe letter at Chicago DO. I noticed other people posting with priority dates after ours with their interviews set already. Our cases are very straight forward, I don't know why is taking soooooo long? Any inputs from the members of the forum. :confused:

waiting for chicago

Sorry, forgot to put that our priority date is mid April, we did our finger prints on June 12 and have been waiting in queue since mid June. I know Chicago is busy but one would thing than more than 60 days would be enough to schedule an interview. Can Big Joe or other gurus comment on this issue. Why it takes so long in Chicago. :confused:
Many thanks in advance

How do I put my signature on my posts? Just type at the end of every message or post?

Sorry, forgot to put that our priority date is mid April, we did our finger prints on June 12 and have been waiting in queue since mid June. I know Chicago is busy but one would thing than more than 60 days would be enough to schedule an interview. Can Big Joe or other gurus comment on this issue. Why it takes so long in Chicago. :confused:
Many thanks in advance

How do I put my signature on my posts? Just type at the end of every message or post?

There may be various reasons for the delay, besides their slowness. The most obvious one is your FBI name check is not cleared yet. If you are concerned, try and send them a request online or schedule an infopass. They will tell you what's going on.

wating for chicago

There may be various reasons for the delay, besides their slowness. The most obvious one is your FBI name check is not cleared yet. If you are concerned, try and send them a request online or schedule an infopass. They will tell you what's going on.

Thanks "me" for your input.
I was under the impression that once you are placed in line for interview, it meant that your FBI check has concluded. I know I've read that info here in the forum several times. I might be wrong.
What is best, to call the benefit center number provided in the uscis website or to schedule an infopass appt.?
Thank again for the help.

What is best, to call the benefit center number provided in the uscis website or to schedule an infopass appt.?

A visit to the office which actually handles your case might be more helpful, in my view.

Thanks "me" for your input.
I was under the impression that once you are placed in line for interview, it meant that your FBI check has concluded. I know I've read that info here in the forum several times. I might be wrong.

My understanding is that yes, being placed in queue for an interview does usually indicate that all the FBI Name check has been completed. In 2006 the USCIS adopted a policy of not scheduling naturalization interviews until the FBI Name Check is finished, http://www.avlawoffice.com/YatesMemoBackgroundChecks.htm

Past experience indicates that the way the USCIS implemented this policy is not to transfer the applicant's file to a local DO until the FBI Name Check is done.

However, the online case status system is not very reliable and sometimes gives incorrect information. Also, sometimes the USCIS makes a mistake and transfer the file to a local DO (and maybe even schedules an interview) before the name check is done - if that happens, they then have to push on the brakes in the process.

As far as the Chicago DO is concerned, there may also be other possible explanations. Basically, a great deal depends on where exactly in the Chicago DO area you live. If you live in Chicago/Chicago suburbs, you can expect faster interview scheduling and faster oath scheduling. If you are in downstate/central Illinois, everything usually takes longer, for various reasons.

wating for chicago

I tried to post before but it was not posted. Here is a second try.

Thanks to "me" and balkal3 for their input. I do live a f couple hours from Chicago. Balkal3 last comment migth explained why we are still waiting for an interview more than 60 days after FP. I might try an e-query, but other forum members have mentioned that those are of limited help. I'm concerned of the thousnads of new appliactions as of today, due that the new deferral of removal program, will make thins even slower in chicago :confused:. Any other advise or comment is welcome. Many thanks in advance.

I tried to post before but it was not posted. Here is a second try.

Thanks to "me" and balkal3 for their input. I do live a f couple hours from Chicago. Balkal3 last comment migth explained why we are still waiting for an interview more than 60 days after FP. I might try an e-query, but other forum members have mentioned that those are of limited help. I'm concerned of the thousnads of new appliactions as of today, due that the new deferral of removal program, will make thins even slower in chicago :confused:. Any other advise or comment is welcome. Many thanks in advance.

Since you only filed N-400 in mid-April, you are still within the normal processing times for N-400, and having been in a queue for an interview for 60 days is not yet out of the ordinary.
Doing an e-request is easy, so if you are really restless, do an e-request now and see what they say. If in about two months you are still not scheduled for an interview, then schedule an INFOPASS appointment and try to talk to them in person.