Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

Thanks Jchicago!

I do not think the letter said anything other then my oath date and the documents that I need to bring! It was posted on 6/9(?), I think. I will look at the letter this evening again and see if there is anything else I may have missed.

I am sure that you will get your oath letter at any time. It is just frustrating that our name check process was not done when it was supposed to...Best wishes!

Finally, I have received my Oath letter yesterday, my interview was on 4/14/2010 and my oath ceremony is on the 6/24/2010, and the letter mentioned to be at 8:00 AM,

Does any one know how long the ceremony takes?

I had my Oath yesterday.....

Finally, I have received my Oath letter yesterday, my interview was on 4/14/2010 and my oath ceremony is on the 6/24/2010, and the letter mentioned to be at 8:00 AM,
Does any one know how long the ceremony takes?

If you go to the Court website it will tell you exactly when it will start..(Mine was at 1PM)....
Your letter is when you need to check in....(12:00 in my case)

Every Judge has his own style...

In my case

Checked in at 11:50..There is immigration officer he will take the letter/GC
You will be seated....And then wait (Hour) till Judge shows up ( You will this time from the Website.)

1:00 Judge walks in
1:02 Immigration office will open a motion
1:03 Judge says - YES
1:04 Small Speech by Judge
1:11 Then he administers the Oath.
1:15 Says Welcome - ( Leave the room)
1:20 You receive the certificate from the Immigration officer.
And you are done.... ( 20 min approx)
- Now some Judges hand over the certificates so it might take longer....

Passport/SSN offices are across the Building....So you can plan to get that taken care of too...on the same day....I changed my name so i had to do Drivers License....

Hi all, any updates on those like me who"decision was not made" due to a missing Name Check? It has been awhile and was wonder if any of you have had luck. Thanks

Hi all, any updates on those like me who"decision was not made" due to a missing Name Check? It has been awhile and was wonder if any of you have had luck. Thanks

Hello... my friend still hasnt heard anything.. from our mental tally of people who are on the same boat we think that its about 2 out of 6 (more or less) that have received anything...

Hello... my friend still hasnt heard anything.. from our mental tally of people who are on the same boat we think that its about 2 out of 6 (more or less) that have received anything...
I visited USCIS on an INFOPASS today with no result. It is 68 days since interview. Told to wait till 90 days for initiating a SR. Counter personnel very casual and say they we have 120 days to decide and why do you come and disturb. They would not allow you to meet IO or Supervisor. After 80 days since interview shall contact office of Senator Dick Durbin and Congressman Mark Kirk. Hope they can do something.

I visited USCIS on an INFOPASS today with no result. It is 68 days since interview. Told to wait till 90 days for initiating a SR. Counter personnel very casual and say they we have 120 days to decide and why do you come and disturb. They would not allow you to meet IO or Supervisor. After 80 days since interview shall contact office of Senator Dick Durbin and Congressman Mark Kirk. Hope they can do something.

Its here.! Received today in the mail with an oath for the end of week..

Dont fret.. i know its easier said than done...

Just a quick post on my timeline

Single person applying for N400
GC received on June 17, 2005
Fedex N400 to PHX on March 18th, 2010
Priority Date is March 19th, 2010
FP Date is April 28th, 2010
Received IL on May 5th
ID is June 24th

OD was today, 7/6/2010. I am DONE!!!

An Update. Finally
After a long wait, I received an oath letter and had have a ceremony on July 6th. It has been a long journey, but definitely much easier with all your help and posts. It was easy to go thru all the stages with questions, doubts, and waits knowing what was going on.
All the best and luck for all of you.
Thanks,

Chicago update on my sig

DO:Chicago
05/03/2010: N-400 Sent-Phoenix, AZ
05/08/2010 : N-400 Rec.
05/08/2010 : ND; 05/10/2010 - PD
05/09/2010 : Checks Cashed
05/18/2010 : NOA Rec
06/16/2010 : Online status -> RFE sent
06/19/2010 : Rec. FP letter
07/12/2010 : FP Scheduled
07/12/2010 : FP done
07/22/2010 : Case sent to local off.
07/23/2010 : Interview Letter
08/24/2010 : Interview Date

My USC timeline

04/28/2010: N-400 Sent-Phoenix, AZ
05/04/2010 : N-400 Rec.
05/04/2010 - PD
05/13/2010 : ND
05/14/2010 : Checks Cashed
06/10/2010 : Rec. FP letter
07/07/2010 : FP Scheduled
07/07/2010 : FP done
07/16/2010 : Interview Letter
07/21/2010 : YL
08/17/2010 : Interview Date

Last edited by a moderator:
My timeline

04/28/2010: N-400 Sent-Phoenix, AZ
05/04/2010 : N-400 Rec.
05/04/2010 - PD
05/13/2010 : ND
05/14/2010 : Checks Cashed
06/10/2010 : Rec. FP letter
07/07/2010 : FP Scheduled
07/07/2010 : FP done
07/16/2010 : Interview Letter
07/21/2010 : YL
08/17/2010 : Interview Date

zapper2002 good luck with interview i have mine on 24 Aug please post about your interview experience.

Successful Interview!!!! Oath in 2 days. Pretty smooth experience.

Here's a quick summary of our experience:
Travel & Parking :

Drove from Northwest suburbs to Downtown. Started from home about 7.45am for interview slot of 9.25am. Reached downtown in about 45-50 minutes. Parked right adjacent to the 101 Congress Pkwy building in a paid parking called "Immigration parking...". If you reach before 8am, you get a early bird price for parking of $10.99 . If not, its about $19 for 2+ hours.

Interview Facility:

The building's pretty nice & non-intimidating. Much nicer & friendlier than the Federal building on Jackson street. We had to pass thru the security checkin and then thru the escalators to the 3rd floor. We walked in about 30 minutes prior to our interview time.

Check-in & Interview Process:

Once on the 3rd floor you will find a queue/line or will be told to check-in with the lady at front desk. Keep your interview letter & GC ready. That's where you receive the buzzer & will be told what door you need to sit close to, where the officer will call for you. If you have family or spouse together, you will get a green colored family appt card that basically tells your interviewing officer that you would want your oath to be scheduled together.

There's a huge waiting area which was packed surprisingly at 9am. Most likely with people who came in for oath at 8am earlier and rest of the interview candidates.

We were pleasantly surprised when I was called ahead of scheduled interview time, at 9.10. The officer who interviewed me was exceptionally good. Probably the best government officer i have ever dealt with. Very pleasant demeanor & extremely friendly. Did some small talk with him, before we reached his office.

First thing once we reached his office, he asked me to reach my hand out & take the truth oath . He reached out and got my file, pretty thick file, so they probably have my full US life history, just like the rest of us. Asked me to take my passport, Driver license, GC and keep it on the table. Went through some basic Q&A on the N400 application and then we jumped into the 6 interview questions, in rapid fire succession. My officer wrote my responses for each question on the sheet. Once we were done with the 6 questions, he asked me to write a sentence on sheet of paper & then asked me to read a sentence from a written sheet.

Once that was completed, we continued some more small talk , some history about my employment and my name etc...He asked me bunch of questions, from the N400. Confirmed all my answers to the Yes,No questions in the N400 was valid. Asked me to sign on the last sheet of the N400 at a couple of spots.

Took out the 2 photos that I had submitted, and made me sign on the 2 photos. Signed some more papers and then handed me the printed results saying I was recommended for approval and that my oath would be in 2 days. Told me to wait for a few minutes to get the oath letter and not to leave without it. Had some more small talk and dropped me off back to the place where he picked me up.

All done in about 15/20 minutes or so I thought....

Then the long wait started. We were giving a heads-up by one of our friends so we were kinda prepared to wait for the oath letter. We received the oath letter at about 12noon, after about 2.5 hours after the interview was done.

No complains. The place is nice, its good to see all our future fellow country men from all walks of life & diverse backgrounds/ethnicities.

Only in America. Amazing!!!!

We are excited to become citizens of this great & wonderful country!!!

All of the best to anyone reading this!

Be Good, Do Good!!!