Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

Received N-445

Letter was dated 2/12/08. Oath ceremony scheduled for 2/25/08 - 8:00 AM at 219 S Dearborn...

Nebraska/Chicago
Priority Date: 07/10/2007
Fingerprint Date: 08/09/2007
Interview Date: 02/05/2008
Oath Date: 02/25/2008
Passport Application: ???
Received Passport: ???

Last edited by a moderator:
I reside in Chicago IL & applied for myself & my wife. We both got the same dates as below. (so nice of USCIS)

Mailed: Nov 3 07
Check Cashed: Nov 8 07
Receipt recvd: Nov 27 07
FP notice revd: Jan 03 08
FP date: Jan 30 08
IV Notice Rcvd: Feb 27 08
IV Date: May 14 2008 - Anxiously Waiting
Oath : Same day may be?

Does anyone know the trend in Chicago office in 2008 for the Oath dates after the IV?
Also, since I got the IV scheduled does it mean our FBI name check has been cleared ??

Regards,

Hi aresan,

Yes, your name check should be completed prior to the interview. But I am not sure the trend about the Oath scheduling.

But I am a bit suprise about the interview date scheduling of Chicago. You received the Interview notice letter on Feb 27 about a interview appoitment on May 14; WOW...2 and half months after the interview notice, which is MUCH MUCH MUCH longer than I thought it would be.

In my case, my finger would be done next tuesday, and if everything goes through smoothly, I should get an interview notice early April; by looking at your interview date, my interview could be taken place around mid June. Darn....that is really horrible timeline at chicago!!!!

Any other thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello All,
Here is my timeline: To have an idea how long took the process based in NSC/Chicago area.

5/18/2007 - Mailed to NSC
5/21/2007 - Priority/Received Date
5/25/2007 - Receipt Notice
6/1/2007 - Fingerprint Notice
6/26/2007 - Fingerprint Appointment
9/26/2007 - Case Status Retrieval Failed - Dissapared online
9/29/2007 - Interview Letter Notice Received
11/8/2007 - Interview date
02/02/2008 - Notice of Oath Naturalization Ceremony Received
02/15/2008 - Oath Ceremony
02/15/2008 - Applied for a US passport

Thank to all, This is a great forum for the Immigration/Naturalization based issues.
Good Luck to all !!!

guys..when you go to the airport..they at times do a name check as well..isnt that kinda the same as the one they do for uscis?

october filer-- still waiting

Hi All,

Here are my dates. I thought everything was proceeding normally until i saw a november filer in chicago already had an interview letter. i'm getting anxious. do you think i should schedule an infopass? or am i within the normal time frame?

PD Oct 1 2007
Check Cashed Nov 9 2007
Notice Received Nov 20 2007
FP Appointment Dec 19 2007
IL Letter ???

Finger Print Experience in Norridge Application Support Center

I completed my finger print at Norridge today as initial FP appointment. It was a pleasant process, which takes 20 mins or so. One tip though - there is NO cellphone / digital recorder is allowed in the building at all. I had to went out and leave the cellphone in the car.

Hi Does any one know
1. How many days FBI will take to clear citiztenship application
2. Is there any way we can check the status of application with FBI( by calling any number )?

Thanks,
Chicago Guy

Hi Does any one know
2. Is there any way we can check the status of application with FBI( by calling any number )?

Thanks,
Chicago Guy

Hi Does any one know

Thanks,
Chicago Guy

I hate to tell you the truth buddy but so far what I've learnt n seen here is you do not have anyway of tracking FBI's timeline for any pending case. It can take somewhere from 1 day to 1000 days. Although, FBI says they process 95% namechecks/ background checks within 24-48 hours but that does'nt seem true. I have seen people here who have been stuck for more then two years n I have seen people who got their citizenship within 3-4 months. It all depends on your luck at this point.

What you can do is file FOIPA with FBI and see if that comes back as 'no records'. That usually means FBI has no information regarding you in their system which is a good sign. USCIS recently changed the process and people who applied green card through employment (I-485) have to wait no longer then 180 days for their namecheck. If an I-485 case is stuck in namecheck for more then 180 days, USCIS will approve his petition and will issue him a green card. However, if something negative or criminal record come up in FBI background check later, that person's green card will be cancelled and he/ she can be deported.

So wait for now if you just applied within last six months. Things are getting better, we saw alot of interview calls, oath letters in last couple months which is a good news. Also, I know a family in Chicago who applied for N-400 couple weeks ago and they got their reciept and FP notice on the same date. Hope that will give you a better idea on how things are at the moment.

If I were you, I will call USCIS 800 number ASAP to ask them questions.

actually, i called them and they had nothing new for me. more substantively, somebody told me in another thread that a number of october filers are in the same boat-- we are part of the summer backlog-- and the november/december onwards applications are being handled by different case officers and in some cases being processed faster. so no need to panic-- someone had done infopass and been told that even with namecheck cleared that the letter should arrive around 4/15. so no need for panic. i think for the backlogged people (took them weeks to cash check and issue receipts) from my research, the time between FPs and ILs is 3-4 months.

Hello All,
Here is my timeline: To have an idea how long took the process based in NSC/Chicago area.

03/05/2008 - Received the US passport (Used Routine Service)

Thanks to all, This is a great forum for the Immigration/Naturalization based issues.
Good Luck to all !!!

Hello All,

03/05/2008 - Received the US passport (Used Routine Service)

Thanks to all, This is a great forum for the Immigration/Naturalization based issues.
Good Luck to all !!!

Sashko,

Looks like it took a little while b/w your interview and oath.
Any idea why?

Sashko,

Looks like it took a little while b/w your interview and oath.
Any idea why?
I have no idea why...I think is because of the USCIS backlog...Too many applicants ..or, in my area the court have just one oath ceremony per month. By the way, I am glad that its over...

Good Luck to everyone...!!!

Talk with the IO on the phone, he said, "everything (background check, name check, finger print) is clear, and my application is in the queue for scheduling interview." And he continued explaining, "since my application is in the almost busiest office -Chicago, the interview would be scheduled 1 or 2 months after receiving the interview notice."

Talk with the IO on the phone, he said, "everything (background check, name check, finger print) is clear, and my application is in the queue for scheduling interview." And he continued explaining, "since my application is in the almost busiest office -Chicago, the interview would be scheduled 1 or 2 months after receiving the interview notice."

Looking at your timeline, your case processed way faster then others.. Hope you recieve your IL very soon. BTW, IO was right about the interview date as you can see from my timeline. My interview is scheduled in April and I recieved a letter in February.

In my wife's case, we received IL letter around 14-15 Feb. and the interview is on April 30th.

Looking at your timeline, your case processed way faster then others.. Hope you recieve your IL very soon. BTW, IO was right about the interview date as you can see from my timeline. My interview is scheduled in April and I recieved a letter in February.