Checklist for OCI application - Houston

I surrendered my Indian passport at the time of US Citizenship ceremony on receiving the US citizenship. Now I'm trying to apply for OCI which needs a copy of Indian passport, which I don't have any at this time. So what are my options to apply for OCI?
Note: I have a "copy" of my first (Indian) passport, and nothing else.

OCI Houston Questions

Dear OCI Gurus: Please review and confirm the following checklist for OCI application - Houston -

Notes:
a. Your usual signature will do; do not need the cursive full name written as in naturalization certificate
b. You can combine all the fees for the entire family group and send just one cashier's check. For example, for a family of 2, you can send one cashier's check for $570 ($275+$275+$20)
c. US-style passport pictures are accepted at Houston
d. To self-attest, just write "Certified to be true copy of the original", sign & print your name.

For travel to India, you have to take the US passport with the valid U visa AND the OCI Book.

I have few questions about OCI application mailing to embassy in Houston

1. The fee $275 is it just OCI application fee or does that include fee of surrender certificate?

2. When applying for family together(husband and wife) do they both should have same last name? we have different last names.

Please advise.

Thanks!

$275 is only for OCI. This is uniform across all consulates.
For SC, you have to provide $20.00 separately per applicant - If your Naturalization was on or before May-31-2010.
If Naturalization was on or after June-01-2010, the SC fee will be $175.00 per applicant.

If you are collecting the documents in person, I believe there is a provision to do so in Houston, from what I have read (I Belong to the DC thread and cannot vouch for this however).

Last names need not be same. However, full names (First, last) should be consistent across all passports - Indian, US, Nat cert - if required. E.g. If your full name is same in Indian PP, US PP, Nat Cert then you are good. Same for spouse.

If you did any name change during Naturalization, you need to check with the consulate folks on what supporting docs are required for this case.

Good luck

$275 is only for OCI. This is uniform across all consulates.
For SC, you have to provide $20.00 separately per applicant - If your Naturalization was on or before May-31-2010.
If Naturalization was on or after June-01-2010, the SC fee will be $175.00 per applicant.

If you are collecting the documents in person, I believe there is a provision to do so in Houston, from what I have read (I Belong to the DC thread and cannot vouch for this however).

Last names need not be same. However, full names (First, last) should be consistent across all passports - Indian, US, Nat cert - if required. E.g. If your full name is same in Indian PP, US PP, Nat Cert then you are good. Same for spouse.

If you did any name change during Naturalization, you need to check with the consulate folks on what supporting docs are required for this case.

Good luck

Thanks gc4us,

Do you know if I have to mail them together SC and OCI applications?

What is cover letter for? What does cover letter look like? I am thinking of applying for OCI.

When I apply a year ago, it took about 8 months to get my OCI. I got the Indian passport cancelled at the time of stamping the OCI in U.S.passport. When I applied for my wife in November 2010, they returned the application after 3months asking for the copy of cancelled passport and renunciation form. It all depends on whose hands your application falls in.
My friend's application was returned because insisting on $.250.00 as cancellation fee for his passport already expired in 2005, almost 6 years ago. Has anyone heard of cancelling something that has already EXPIRED?

With HOUSTON OCI processing now outsourced to Travisa, this check list is only partially relevant. Travisa has its own check list for submitting the OCI applications. Check travisaoci.com

Need help if someone visiting Houston Consulate

Hi Everyone,

I need help if anybody is visiting the Houston Consulate for my OCI.
I was granted OCI on july 16, as I had decided to move back to India before that I requested consulate to mail my OCI card to Mumbai FRRO office. As expected it was not done and 4 months have passed. if someone is going to the consulate and if they can inquire about my status that will be great. please PM me and I will let you know the details.

Please help me if you can. thanks a lot in advance.