Check this out. Asylum Adjustment for FY 2002

Question

one question: by the time we get approval of the GCs, our passport will be expired, and since we cannt go to our embassy to renew it, how can we get the stamp then?

Congratulations Test100. Even though I was way before you I still have not received notice ...

Asulym Granted April 1996
Filed I 485 April 1997
Interviewed Nov 2000
Fingerprints Nov 2001
....and stil waiting ... what a institution ***INS***

Gilbert-----can answer this question

Thanks bigmichale for that question.---I hope Gilbert can answer this question. I have same kind of problem i lost my country passport and i can\'t get passport from Embassy.---So when INS will call me for interview did they Stamp on my Travel Document? And can i use that RTD in future with my Green-card? And how long? Cus Refugee Travel Document valid only for 1 years.----Good-Luck.

Passport

If passport is expire,like my was,take one INS approved picture and a temporary gc will be issue to you the same day.
This is not a actual gc.It is like a I94 with you picture and
stamp on the form.

GC RECEIVED

PASSPORT WAS STAMP IN JANUARY 02.
RECEIVED MY GC IN APRIL
GC WAS BACK DATED TO 01/14/01
I RECEIVED MY ASYLUM IN 1996 AND THOUGHT THE GC WOULD HAVE BEEN
BACK DATED TO 1996.

Thanks test100

for keeping us informed, and congratulations again. Unfortunately, not all the people participating in this forum are open to share with us their experiences. As I recall, you filed I485 in February 1998 and received your GC in 2002.
As for the back date, they did it right, it is one year before the date of stamping (not to the date your asylum was granted).
Good luck and thanks again.

Attention former asylees(New GC holder) Test100 and the others (NaturalizationTime Credit )

Test100: By now you probably heard of the Asylum adjustment lawsuit by the American Immigration Law Foundation(AILF).
But did you know that they are also looking at getting former asylees time credit toward naturalization? What this means is that they would get the INS to backdate your GC to one year before the date you were interviewed.In your case May 1998 since you were interviewed in May 1999. The more people complain the greater the likelihood of success.
If you or anyone else is interested, I\'ll tell you who to contact about this. Congratulations for the GC.

Yes

Yes, it\'s 4 yrs after the I-485 approval date for asylees to file for naturalization. Naturalization backlog cases are another long story.

No Title

Otoka I thought your case has already been approved and stamped. But obviously I am mistaken. Here\'s my timetable:

Asylum granted Sept 1996
I-485 filed Sept 1997
Interview called March 2001
....waiting

Hopefully the latest advisory from INS HQ will speed things up.

No Title

Would you be kind enough to let us know where you filed your I-485?
I take it that you were exempt form an interview.

No Title

Nice to know that AILF is making an effort. But it\'s not a law yet, so asylee GC holders can file for N400 5yrs from the I-485 approval date (which is -1yr from the actual date)

No Title

Correct me if I misunderstood the INS advisory. But does it say they can deny an asylee I-485 application if there are other possible ways the asylee can obtain a GC. For example, like an asylee who also happens to be a computer professional and could file GC under Labor Cert but he chose not to.
   Let\'s say his asylee I-485 has been pending for 5yrs but he just graduated from college and started working for the company only 6 months ago.
  Can INS reject his I-485 app based on this reason?

No Title

Sorry Gilbert. I\'ve been very busy. As I\'ve said recently there\'s nothing new with my case. You guys will be the first to know when I hear anything from INS.

Jack

I don\'t think that is the case. I don\'t think the advisory applies to an asylee who graduates from college and chose not to file for employment base GC.
That advisory refers to people that have already an I-485 (family based)application already filed because he/she married a US citizen for instance, or because a family based petition became current, etc.

I\'m still quite new, what INS advisory??

Could someone please point me to a statement of the INS advisory that alanpero and some others were discussing about asylee being denied if they had other means to get GC??

Thanks Jack

For keeping us posted. I don\'t think it\'s a bad thing. In my opinion, means that your case is moving along. We have been receiving different pieces of information from INS leading me to think that your case should be approved before the end of this FY. I truly wish this happen, not only because you deserve it; but also because that would provide some relief and hope to the rest of us that have been living this nightmare for years. Thanks again and please stay in touch, and check your private messages. Best regards