Check this out. Asylum Adjustment for FY 2002

No Title

I guess the priority date is the receipt date.

I think this means people with priority date on or before 6/9/98 will get their GCs on the FY 2002 quota. Does it mean that by estimation the 10,000 will be used up by people with priority date on or before 6/9/98 or does it mean INS is doing the cases batch by batch and this is the first batch for FY 2002? If that\'s all for FY 2002 does it also mean INS can start to process more 485 cases (interviewing and FBI finger print process)in preparation for the quota of FY 2003?

Is this date 6/9/98 the next cut off date? I hope not. My understanding is that cut off date is the date the cases with receipt date before which are being actively processed, including those cases being processed in preparation for adjustment with the quota of FY 2003. And cases after the cut off date will not get any interview or medical examination or finger print requests. Am I right? Will there be another announcement of the next cut off date?

No Title

It is my understanding that when they say priority date, they mean the date when the I-485 application was filed. The "priority date" is defined for visa petition application process only, not for asylees. Also, the I-485 notice receipt from NSC leaves blank the "Priority Date" box.

Extracted from INS website:

Priority Date - In the INS Immigrant visa petition application process, the priority date is the date the petition was filed. If the alien relative has a priority date on or before the date listed in the visa bulletin, then he or she is currently eligible for a visa.

No Title

Yeah, I also think is the receipt date. I believe that INS is realizing that they are getting closer to complete adjudication (or at least start the adjudication process) of applications filed at local INS offices (before June 9, 1998) and they are trying to expedite all the applications that, for any reason, still might be pending at local INS offices.
As we know, after that date all the I-485 applications were filed at NSC, so NSC will have the control to utilize the 10,000 asylum adjustment numbers. But first, they have to make sure that all the applications previously filed at local INS offices have already been adjudicated or at least are in the process of being adjudicated.

No Title

Thanks for the information. That makes it much clearer.

So we can assume the INS estimates that cases before 6/9/98 will definitely not use up the 10,000 quota for FY 2002.

No Title

I believe is a reasonable assumption; however, everything depends on how many cases will actually come out from the local INS offices, after this memorandum. Hopefully, only a few thousands to leave some room for the rest of us.
But the good new after all, is that INS is moving along.

Is it possible that INS revokes my ASYLUM on the day of stamping passport?

I am then falling into this category and I might be called for passport stamping. However, my concern here is that INS can deny the application due to the fact situation in my country became better and thus request extradition.
I read about the new law and it concerns me VERY, VERY MUCH !

Is such scenario likely and if it is, let me then go ahead and kill myself immediately.

No Title

Don\'t freak out. I\'m not experienced but from what I read I think that in theory they can terminate your asylee status based on the improved situation in your home country but that rarely occurs. And improvement alone won\'t automatically terminate your asylee status. The possibility is low. Also if they want to do that they can do that anytime. So you should be happy that they haven\'t done it and you can expect to get your GC soon.

Don\'t worry too much about things that haven\'t happened. It might not be a problem at all. Even something happens you still have time to deal with it. Consult a lawyer if you want to get peace of mind.

Relax

Dear Otoka,

The probability of losing asylum on the basis of changed country condition is as low as winning the lottery. I am only aware of individuals losing asylum over criminal record, fraud and so on.
In any rate, the INS has to refer your file back to the asylum office for termination.

You should be expecting good news in the mail and please do not forget this board when you get your adjustment.

so let me guess

Hey everyone, i am new here and i just saw this message.
i filed my I-485 in 2000, if the INS is trying to complete the cases that filed before 1998 in 2002, so is that possible they will start process my case next year or 2004?
i have called Nebraska before, the officer told me it would take 5-10 years, and it really really scared me, i am hoping he was joking.
by the way, my case is religion asylum, is that the same like political asylum?
Anyway, thx for the information

No Title

5-10 years is not joking but it seems most people get their GCs in 5 years. I also filed my 485 in 2000.

Generally the term "asylum" and "political asylum" is the same thing. It includes political dissident, religious persecution and all others.

No Title

AILA\'s comment regarding this Memo from INS:

In Response to Pressure from AILF/AILA, INS Issues Asylee Adjustment Processing Advisory for FY2002

The American Immigration Law Foundation (AILF) has been preparing litigation
to address the INS\'s mismanagement of the asylee adjustment queues and other
related issues. In addition, AILA has has been negotiating with the INS to remedy
the many problems in the INS\'s asylee adjustment system.

As the following advisory makes clear, the INS now admits there are serious
problems in the asylee adjustment system and is attempting to resolve some
of them. We are gratified that the INS is taking these actions. We expect
that negotiations will continue but also believe that litigation may continue to
be necessary so that we assure relief for the numerous plaintiffs and class
members who have been harmed by the INS\'s mismanagement, with the goal
of achieving a stipulated settlement with the
INS to resolve all the asylee adjustment issues.

Asylum

Asylum granted in 1996
file I485 in feb 1998(including finger print and medical)
case transfer to local INS office in march 1999
interview at local INS office in may 1999
Finger print notice dec 2001
Finger printed on dec 20 2001
Approval notice on jan 14 2002(per notice GC will take 9-12 months)
Passport stamped jan 17 2002

No Title

Test100, first of all congratulations for this achievement!!. Second, thanks very much for posting details of your case.
It is a relief to know that INS is actually moving. Thanks again and stay in touch

interview

Hi:

Is there anybody filed 485 in 1999 got interviewed? and when? Would you share your information with us? thanks!

Jack

Has Jack received his approval notice yet? He has not posted here for a while. I hope he did not just vanish.

No Title

Remember that procedure changes for applications filed after June 1998. Not all the applicants will be interviewed, only 2% of applicants will be called for interview and selected at random. INS is still dealing with cases filed at local INS offices, and I doubt anybody who filed in 1999 has already been called for interview.

No Title

We haven\'t heard from him for a while. It would be great to know he already got his approval notice.