Changing your signature

bltzkrig

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
I have my citizenship interview in 2 days (application based on LPR for 5 years). This may seem frivolous, but my question is about my signature, i.e. the way I sign my name.

I have two signatures. I have a crummy one that I have used since i was 18. It is too plain, and easy to copy. It's on my passport, driver's license, GC, and my N400 application.

I have an alternate signature which I like, and one which I have used for limited purposes for a couple of years. I'd like to switch to using this for everything, but am unsure how to make the transition.

What documents will I need to sign at the interview and at future steps? How can I ensure that I can get the signature I prefer on the naturalization cert etc.?

Thanks for any suggestions. Note that I am not changing my name.

Hi all,
I have my citizenship interview in 2 days (application based on LPR for 5 years). This may seem frivolous, but my question is about my signature, i.e. the way I sign my name.

I have two signatures. I have a crummy one that I have used since i was 18. It is too plain, and easy to copy. It's on my passport, driver's license, GC, and my N400 application.

I have an alternate signature which I like, and one which I have used for limited purposes for a couple of years. I'd like to switch to using this for everything, but am unsure how to make the transition.

What documents will I need to sign at the interview and at future steps? How can I ensure that I can get the signature I prefer on the naturalization cert etc.?

Thanks for any suggestions. Note that I am not changing my name.

You are going to sign the bottom of the N-400 form during the interview. Then you will sign the oath letter that you are going to take to the oath ceremony. And finally, you will sign your naturalization certificate and your US passport. Before coming to the US, I had an unreadable signature and I changed to a signature where my name and lastname was readable. I would suggest to stick to your readable signature since this is what they usually want on your US passport and your naturalization certificate. If you signed all your USCIS documents so far with that signature, I would just stick to that. Just my personal opinion of course.

Until a couple of years ago, it was a requirement to sign one's full name on the naturalization certificate. Recent cases suggest that the USCIS now allows applicants to use their regular signatures. When it comes to passport signatures, you can sign your name however you want. There is no requirement to sign your full name on a passport.

Thank for the replies. What you both said was right. I was asked to sign my name at two places on the N-400 and print the full name once. But looks like there's not going to be any 'matching' of signatures on the N-400 with future documents. I went with my new (but still legible) signature.