Changing last name

malyshka

Registered Users (C)
Hello everybody! I'm going to apply for AOS and I have a question. I would like to change my last name. When should I do that? Before applying I-130 or after? And what forms do I use? I also noticed that some forum users sent their I-130 along with I-485, but some sent I-485 later. What is correct? Thank you in advance.

Change it NOW

Hello everybody! I'm going to apply for AOS and I have a question. I would like to change my last name. When should I do that? Before applying I-130 or after? And what forms do I use? I also noticed that some forum users sent their I-130 along with I-485, but some sent I-485 later. What is correct? Thank you in advance.

You should change it either now or after AOS, changing it in the middle of the process may cause issues.

Either change it before filing I-130, meaning - change name now and file I-130with your new legal name.

OR
File I-130 and 485 with old name and then when you have GC; change your name after that. You can change name during Naturalization as well.

You should change it either now or after AOS, changing it in the middle of the process may cause issues.

Either change it before filing I-130, meaning - change name now and file I-130with your new legal name.

OR
File I-130 and 485 with old name and then when you have GC; change your name after that. You can change name during Naturalization as well.

PunjabDaPuttar, thank you very much for your reply. But I'm wondering if I'm going to change it now, before filing I-130, what form should I use and where to file it?
Thank you again.

Name Change is done at County Level

PunjabDaPuttar, thank you very much for your reply. But I'm wondering if I'm going to change it now, before filing I-130, what form should I use and where to file it?
Thank you again.

Most likely your County's Court (or Probate Court) will change the name.

Check their website. It might take a month or more to change the name.

Thank you again.

there is no form to fill out to get a new name. When you apply for a marriage license, some states allow you to fill in your new name. Some - don't. You start using your new name after marriage, and that's how it becomes your new name. You change it on SSN, driver's license, credit cards, bills, use it at work, on future tax forms, etc. You fill out immigration paperwork using your new name, and that's how you will get a GC with a new name.

there is no form to fill out to get a new name. When you apply for a marriage license, some states allow you to fill in your new name. Some - don't. You start using your new name after marriage, and that's how it becomes your new name. You change it on SSN, driver's license, credit cards, bills, use it at work, on future tax forms, etc. You fill out immigration paperwork using your new name, and that's how you will get a GC with a new name.

LucyMO, thank you for your reply. The thing is that on the marriage license is my old name. Can I still fill out all the immigration forms with my new name?

yes. My marriage licence and my marriage certificates simply state that Mary Doe is joined in holy matrimony with John Smith. It depends on the state.