• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Changing from AOS to CP

pkshitiz

Registered Users (C)
case number :AS00008xxx
AOS fee paid: reciept recieved
medicals done:
I am willing to change from AOS to CP as my number will be current in july and i will be going to my home country for summer. I would like to know the process step by step from the person who have changed from AOS to CP. I will really appreciate your help.

not to USCIS. You have to call KCC and tell them you want to do CP instead of AOS. IT's not a big deal. For them it's just a click.

not to USCIS. You have to call KCC and tell them you want to do CP instead of AOS. IT's not a big deal. For them it's just a click.

Yes, I sent my DS forms to KCC earlier but will re-send again to specify AOS as I moved to USA on a working visa after I sent the forms.

You are saying I can just call them? No need to resend the DS forms?

If you want to go for CP, find out about the timeline from submitting your application to your interview date. I am doing AOS but also considered CP. The reason I did not go for CP is because you can never tell when you will be called for the interview, and until that happens you can't come back to US. Regarding the forms, I would re-send them forms, this time putting in the consulate location and I would also contact KCC too to make sure.

The other thing is, you'll be given an immigrant visa to enter US and you have to enter the US within the time window specified on that visa which can be a constraint regarding arranging flights; don't quote me on that but I think the visa is good for only a few weeks.

And also, you'll need to do your medicals again in your home country. So you need to factor in that too as it may take a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you clarify the bold portion, do you want to do AOS or CP ? If you want to go for CP, find out about the timeline from submitting your application to your interview date. I am doing AOS but also considered CP. The reason I did not go for CP is because you can never tell when you will be called for the interview, and until that happens you can't come back to US. Regarding the forms, I would re-send them forms, this time putting in the consulate location and I would also contact KCC too to make sure.

And also, you'll need to do your medicals again in your home country. So you need to factor in that too as it may take a while.

Earlier I sent KCC forms DSP-122 and DS-230 when I was outside USA (no AOS), shortly after that I was offered a job and moved to USA so I will re-send the forms again to KCC stating the new circumstances (that i am in the US and want to do AOS), I will also call KCC before that as it might not be required to re-send these forms again.

Hintakos,
Sorry I thought I was replying to the original poster pkshitiz, after I realized it was you I edited my message. In your case what you are doing is correct. Since you are in US now, you need to let KCC know that you are doing AOS. I'm not sure but you also might want to let the US embassy/consulate in your home country know that you are not doing CP anymore. For AOS there is an extra DV fee that you need to pay to the DoS. Take a look at the 2013 AOS thread.

that's your best option - call KCC. i was in us when i found out im selected and considered AOS, but sent my forms as i would go for CP. the lady from KCC told me the only think i have to do is to call them and let them know what i decided. You dont have to contact the us embassy in your country because they have nothing to do with your case until your interview is scheduled.

And just to clarify what aos13 wrote above- visa in your passport which you would get doing CP is valid for 6 months.

It is not enough to call KCC to request a change from CP to AOS. You absolutely will need to send an updated DSP-122 indicating an intention to undergo AOS. The DSP-122 and DS-230 are legal documents, KCC will not effect any change outside of what you've written on those forms. However, before re-sending those forms, you may go ahead and call KCC for further clarification(s). I'm guessing KCC will ask you to contact USCIS to confirm your eligibility for status adjustment to begin with.

Earlier I sent KCC forms DSP-122 and DS-230 when I was outside USA (no AOS), shortly after that I was offered a job and moved to USA so I will re-send the forms again to KCC stating the new circumstances (that i am in the US and want to do AOS), I will also call KCC before that as it might not be required to re-send these forms again.

And just to clarify what aos13 wrote above- visa in your passport which you would get doing CP is valid for 6 months.

I do not know for a fact but I think 6 months is not a fixed period for everybody. It most probably depends on when your medicals expire and whether or not you have other medical conditions. In some cases medicals are only good for 3 months. If, for example, you get your medicals done 2 months before your interview date, you'll have 4 months on your issued visa. I remember reading something related to this time window issues but I can't find the source. It is best to check with the embassy/consulate before making any plans.

It is not enough to call KCC to request a change from CP to AOS. You absolutely will need to send an updated DSP-122 indicating an intention to undergo AOS. The DSP-122 and DS-230 are legal documents, KCC will not effect any change outside of what you've written on those forms. However, before re-sending those forms, you may go ahead and call KCC for further clarification(s). I'm guessing KCC will ask you to contact USCIS to confirm your eligibility for status adjustment to begin with.

Thank you, I will call and update the thread with what they say.

Called KCC today, the lady over the phone confirmed that I need to send the forms again with BCIS stated on dsp122(question 4 on the form)
She also added a note in the system that we will be doing AOS instead.

Edit:
It is worth noting that the KCC officer was very accurate and specific, definitely to change to or from AOS another set of forms must be sent.
She also warned me the AOS usually takes longer to process so I need to make sure I have time before the Sep-30 deadline.

DSP-122 is a DOS form. KCC will tell you you need it, USCIS will tell you you do not. KCC does not know you do not need DSP-122, because KCC is not involved with AOS. USCIS does know that.
So, if you really need to do business with KCC (CP), send it. If you do not need to do business with KCC (do AOS instead), do not call them. Do what USCIS wants you to do. They will tell you you do not need DSP-122.