Changed jobs while I-485 pending

Rubens

Registered Users (C)
I am wondering if I am still eligible for the I-485 which was pending approval in the INS-Texas back in May of 2000.

Here is my story... I applied for an employment based green card thru Fujitsu in North Carolina in 1999. I had already passed all medical exams, and had finger prints done at the FBI headquarters in Raleigh, NC sometime in February/March of 2000. In May of 2000 I received my EAD (Employment Authorization Card) from the US Immigration. My green card process was then at the last stage pending I-485 processing time in the Texas INS. In the meantime (June of 2000), an opportunity came up to work as CTO for an Internet start-up in Pompano Beach, FL. I changed jobs, and moved to Pompano Beach, FL in July of 2000. The Internet venture broke in October of 2000, and I returned to Brazil. I remember calling Fujitsu in August of 2000 while I was still in the United States to ask about my green card application. I was told that since I had left the company prior to obtaining the I-485 that my green card application would have been automatically canceled.

I still have my ANS Number with the INS. However, I have been back to Brazil since October 29, 2000. What are my rights over my I-485 application? Should I call the INS and give my ANS number to determine the status of my application from year 2000?

Rubens.

I'll say, go ahead and check

you might be lucky.

and not neccessarily leaving states w/o AP means abondoing your case.

Rubens:

I think You have abandoned the I-485 as you left with out AP and if had AP that AP might have expired.

Hi Rubens,

I would say that check your case status by phone or online to see what has happened. You might also want to find the exact day AC-21 went into affect as that is the law that you would have to use to change employers during I-485 as long as your cas is not adjudicated within 180 days. It is also important that you have a similar job currently in the US and they can prove that you are employed and have similar job responsibilities and pay structure. Hope this helps. I would suggest that you consult an attorney at your earliest.

Good Luck

Paras

The AC-21 law was signed into law in October of 2000. I changed jobs in July of 2000.

My I-485 was pending approval over 180 days back in Oct. 2000. I-140 was not revoked by former employer.

Question: Do I have any chance to use the I-485?

How you will enter US with out AP?
And you cannot apply AP when you are out of US.
You need AP to re-enter as you filed I-485 and if you go out while I-485 is pending you should enter before AP expires or I-485 is automatically abandoned.

What does AP mean? How do I get an AP? Is there any chance I may get an AP, and still qualify for the I-485 filed back in 2000?

I don't know if it helps or not, but I graduated with a bachelor's and master's degree in computer & electrical engineering from an American univerisity, the University of Kansas, USA. Furthermore, I worked in the US under H1-B for over five years.

Rubens.

What does AP mean? How do I get an AP? Is there any chance I may get an AP, and still qualify for the I-485 filed back in 2000?

----AP stands for Advance Parole, it has to be filed with the service center with Form I-131 while you are in US and want to go out of US and want to re-enter if I-485 has been filed and pending, it can be filed Only if you are IN US and receive the AP before departure from US. It is not possible to get AP now; your I-485 has been abandoned.

Originally posted by ginnu
[BIt is not possible to get AP now; your I-485 has been abandoned. [/B]

He could still obtain an H-1 and return to the US. The I-485 is not abandoned. I've never used AP to return to the US since my i-485 was filed.

“He could still obtain an H-1 and return to the US. The I-485 is not abandoned.
--------He left while I-485 was pending; he needed AP or valid H1 Visa stamp to return to US. He does not have H1 or valid AP to return, his I-485 has been abandoned. He can still return to US with NEW H1 if anybody is ready to sponsor H1.nobody knows if he got interview call for I-485 or new FP notice as he was not in US to respond. His I-485 was pending in May 2000, many have been cleared, I don’t know his PD. He is unnecessary trying to dig nothing is going to happen. That case has been abandoned. He wants he can hire a lawyer and will reach the same conclusion. Read the case of” Murcury6” in Canada immigration thread he left US when his I-485 was filed and his AP expired out of US and he did not have H1 Visa stamp to enter US from Canada. He hired good lawyers, nobody could do anything, and he is still in Canada as PR of Canada and looking for job. Search the threads posted by him for more info in his case

I've never used AP to return to the US since my i-485 was filed.
--- You might have entered with valid Visa stamp.

He left while I-485 was pending; he needed AP or valid H1 Visa stamp to return to US. He does not have H1 or valid AP to return, his I-485 has been abandoned.

You're confusing matters here; AP is only used to RETURN to the US; if you cannot return to the US then your I-485 will be abandoned. It is true that you need to be physically present in the US to apply for AP.

However, there is nothing in law or statute that says that you must have AP or an H-1B stamp *before* you leave the US in order for your I-485 to continue. You just need to be able to return to get it approved. If you left with no stamp, but received one later, you can re-enter.

You're absolutely correct in stating that the I-485 may have had action taken on it that led INS/USCIS to consider it abandoned. What I want to clarify, is your claims on abandonment. Leaving the US without AP or a visa stamp does not consider abandonment on its own.

--- You might have entered with valid Visa stamp.

I am visa-exempt, and have never received a visa stamp. The point I am attempting to make is that abandonment of an I-485 is not caused by leaving the US without something, it IS caused by the inability to return. If the alien subsequently receives the ability to return via an H or L and no action has been taken by USCIS on the adjustment in the interim, all is good.

I want to call the Immigration Texas Service Center in Mesquite (Dallas) Texas to find out the status of my I-485 filed back in 1999/2000. I am in Brazil, and the number they have for phone calls is a US only toll free number. Deos anyone know the local number for the Immigration in Texas? Also, do you see any problems in my calling them? Should I have a lawyer call them instead?

Thanks,

Rubens.

“However, there is nothing in law or statute that says that you must have AP”
---- One must have AP approved in US before departure if he/she does not have valid H1 visa to return to US(original poster was on H1 and filed I-485, he should have taken AP before leaving US and should have entered US before AP expired)

Please read what INS/ BCIS says:

What is a Travel Document and Who Needs One?
If you are not a U.S. citizen, you may need permission to return to the United States after traveling abroad. This permission is granted through a travel document. Travel documents are also given to people who want to travel, but cannot get a passport from their country of nationality. See the below listed items for more information:
Advance Parole
Most aliens who have pending applications for immigration benefits or for changes in nonimmigrant status need Advance Parole to re-enter the U.S. after traveling abroad. Aliens applying for advance parole on the basis of a pending application for adjustment of status must be approved for advance parole prior to leaving the United States in order to avoid the termination of their pending application for adjustment. Note: this does not apply to aliens who have applied to adjust to permanent resident status and who maintain H-1B (Specialty Worker) or L-1 (Intracompany Transferee) status, or their dependents, who have applied to adjust to permanent resident status and who have valid H-1B or L status and valid visas, V nonimmigrants who have a valid V nonimmigrant visa, are in valid V nonimmigrant status and have or obtain a valid V nonimmigrant visa before applying for readmission to the US, and K-3/4 nonimmigrants who have applied to adjust to permanent resident status and who have a valid K-3/4 nonimmigrant visa, are in valid K-3/4 nonimmigrant status and have or obtain a valid K-3/4 nonimmigrant visa before applying for readmission to the US
Aliens in the United States should, prior to departure, obtain Advance Parole in order to re-enter the United States after travel abroad if they have:
· Filed an application for adjustment of status but have not received a decision from the BCIS;

CAUTAION:
Due to recent changes to U.S. immigration law, travel outside of the United States may have severe consequences for aliens who are in the process of adjusting their status, extending their nonimmigrant stay, or changing their nonimmigrant status. Upon return, these aliens may be found inadmissible, their applications may be denied, or both. It is important that the alien obtain the proper documentation before leaving the US.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/advisories/advisory.htm
INS Issues Foreign Travel Advisory for Aliens With Pending Immigration ApplicationsThe Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) urges all aliens with pending applications for adjustment of status or change of nonimmigrant status to consult with an immigration attorney or an immigrant assistance organization accredited by the Board of Immigration Appeals before making any foreign travel plans.Generally, aliens who have applied to adjust status to that of permanent resident must obtain Advance Parole from the INS before traveling abroad (see questions and answers below). However, due to recent changes to U.S. immigration law, travel outside of the United States may have severe consequences for certain aliens who are in the process of adjusting their status. Such aliens may be found inadmissible, their applications may be denied, or both.Under the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996, aliens who depart the United States after being unlawfully present in the United States for certain periods can be barred from admission, even if they have obtained Advance Parole. Those aliens who have been unlawfully present in the United States for more than 180 days but less than one year are inadmissible for three years; those who have been unlawfully present for a year or more are inadmissible for 10 years.For more information, call the INS nationwide toll-free information service at 1-800-375-5283 Further information on Advance Parole can also be found on INS’ Web site at www.ins.usdoj.gov.Advance Parole: Questions and AnswersQ1. What is Advance Parole?A1. Advance Parole is permission for certain aliens, who do not have a valid immigrant visa, to re-enter the United States after traveling abroad. Such aliens must be approved for Advance Parole before leaving the United States. If they have not obtained Advance Parole prior to traveling abroad, they will not be permitted to re-enter the United States upon their return.Q2. Who needs Advance Parole?A2. Aliens in the United States who have an emergent personal or bona fide reason to travel temporarily abroad and who have:eek: An application for adjustment of status pending; o Been granted benefits under the Family Unity Program; o Been granted Temporary Protected Status; or o An asylum application pending. Note: Aliens holding valid H-1 (temporary worker in a specialty occupation) or L-1 (intra-company transferee) visas and their dependants who have filed for adjustment of status do not have to file for Advance Parole as long as they maintain their non-immigrant status. Note: An alien who has been admitted as a refugee or has been granted asylum does not need to obtain advance parole, but will require a Refugee Travel Document in order to re-enter the United States after traveling abroad. An application for a Refugee Travel Document must be filed on INS Form I-131, as described in A4 below.Q3. Who is not eligible for Advance Parole?A3. Aliens in the United States are not eligible for Advance Parole if they are:eek: In the United States without a valid immigration status, o The beneficiary of a private bill, o Under removal proceedings, for o Admitted as a nonimmigrant. Q4. How does one obtain Advance Parole?A4. In general, an alien must file INS Form I-131, Application for a Travel Document, complete with supporting documentation, photos and the fee. Since filing procedures vary among INS District Offices, applicants for Advance Parole should contact their local INS office for specific directions. Information on how to locate and contact your local District Office as well as copies of Form I-131 can be found on the INS Web site at www.ins.usdoj.gov. Forms also can be requested using INS’ toll-free forms request line 1-800-870-3676.Q5. Does Advance Parole or a Refugee Travel Document guarantee admission into the United States?A5. No, Advance Parole or a Refugee Travel Document does not guarantee admission into the United States. Aliens who have obtained Advance Parole or a Refugee Travel Document are still subject to the INS inspection process at the port of entry. Q6. Can travel abroad still have severe consequences for certain aliens, even if they have obtained Advance Parole?A6. Yes, due to changes to U.S. immigration law, travel outside of the United States may have severe consequences for certain aliens who are in the process of adjusting their status or changing their nonimmigrant status. Such aliens may be found inadmissible to the United States upon return and/or their applications for adjustment or change of status may be denied.Under the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996, aliens who depart the United States after accruing certain periods of unlawful presence in the United States can be barred from admission, even if they have obtained Advance Parole. Those aliens who are unlawfully present in the United States for 180 days but less than one year become inadmissible for three years; those who are unlawfully present for more than one year become inadmissible for 10 years.Aliens who have concerns about their admissibility should contact an immigration attorney or an immigrant assistance organization accredited by the Board of Immigration Appeals before making foreign travel plans.--INS--
Last Modified 02/20/2003

Am not a lawyer........Below is my 2 cents worth...

If you can find out if your AOS app is still valid.
Then you can have your H1 processed and enter US.

Can someone please tell me the local phone number for the Texas Service Center to check on the status of my Adjustment of Status (I-485)? I only have a toll free number, which is not valid for foreign calls.

---- One must have AP approved in US before departure if he/she does not have valid H1 visa to return to US(original poster was on H1 and filed I-485, he should have taken AP before leaving US and should have entered US before AP expired)

Yes, but:

It doesn't say anywhere that leaving the US before you have permission to return causes abandonment of the adjustment. That's my sole point. If you do not have permission to return before you leave, but subsequently get it (like an H-1 or L-1) then your adjustment will carry forward.

Why did the original poster need to get AP before he left? If he got an H-1 later he'd be able to return. Remember, the whole question with AP/H-1 is not permission to LEAVE the US, it's permission to RE-ENTER.

Originally posted by Rubens
Can someone please tell me the local phone number for the Texas Service Center to check on the status of my Adjustment of Status (I-485)? I only have a toll free number, which is not valid for foreign calls.

There is none. Check the BCIS web site's electronic status page.

Unfortunally the site says that the I-485 filling receipt was sent on december of 1999, and that the process typically takes from 900 to 990 days to process. It does not say anything further.

The receipt number is

SRC-00-061-51715

Can someone call the IRS in the US and ask the status of this process?

Rubens