Change of plan?

w_69

Hi all,

I'm on a K1-Visa; and I'm the beneficiary. The overall process went great, no hiccups. I'm in the US now with my partner.
I won't go into details as it's personal, but is it possible to abandon your K1 in favor of marrying elsewhere, such as my homeland, Australia? We're considering this instead after all this time. Most likely meaning that my partner and I wouldn't be returning to the US anytime soon. Still not sure just yet, just weighing it up and was curious really. Hope you guys understand. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Edit: Would it be any harder to marry in Australia?

Last edited:
As long as you leave before the 90 days is up so that you don’t overstay, there are no negative consequences from doing so. You presumably know doing it that way would require a new i130 to be filed for a CR1 visa for if and when you want to move to the US, and that process would take about a year. If your ultimate aim is to be in the US in any timeframe shorter than that then proceeding with the k1 would make more sense.

(I don’t know what your reasons are but FYI many people on k1 just do a court marriage to get the formalities out the way and then have a big wedding celebration with family later - just in case this is part of what you are weighing up)

As long as you leave before the 90 days is up so that you don’t overstay, there are no negative consequences from doing so. You presumably know doing it that way would require a new i130 to be filed for a CR1 visa for if and when you want to move to the US, and that process would take about a year. If your ultimate aim is to be in the US in any timeframe shorter than that then proceeding with the k1 would make more sense.

(I don’t know what your reasons are but FYI many people on k1 just do a court marriage to get the formalities out the way and then have a big wedding celebration with family later - just in case this is part of what you are weighing up)
Thank you for your reply! :)

I have one more question. I was going to make a separate thread for this, but it's fairly related. Again just hypothetical.

If we choose to abandon the K-1 and go back to my country, would we have any difficult of coming back to the US? (whether it's for a holiday or to visit her family? I also have family in the US) Would I look bad for filing for a K-1? And what if we married in my country but decided to move back to the US after all? I did every single thing by the book and it went great, but does it look suspicious?

Thanks!