Change of J1 to J2

jais

Registered Users (C)
Hi all

I am on J1(pos-doc) with 2 year HRR which is going to expire. My spouse is also on J1 (pos-doc) and his will expire after 2 years..

Q1. Is it possible to change my J1 to J2 outside USA, like from Canada or India.

Q2. If I get NORI from India and filed a waiver is it possible to change J1 to J2status within USA.

Q3. I have applied for NORI from India. But I guess it will take few months before I recieved it. Is it possible to process waiver from India or I need to be physically present in USA for processing of my waiver.

Answer to any of my above queries will be tremendous help to me.

Thank u
jais

It is not allowed to get another J (J1 or J2) unless you separate the subsequent J from the previous one by one year bar outside the US. This apply if you are subject the 2 YHHR or not. This is made to prevent J holders from staying forever on J (keep changing from J1 to J2 and vise versa). If you get waiver in US while your J is still active you can change to H beside many others (still as I mentioned you can not get another J 1 or 2). for waiver you can apply from anywhere; US, India or wherever you like, even you can start the process here and continue from outside if your status expire before you get the waiver. Additionally, application for waiver with the DOS is an immigration intebt which will almost prohibit you from getting, extending, or changing J visas

I know some people who got J1 converted to J2 from India even though they r subjected to 2year HRR.

And within US I know cases where J2 got converted to J1 after getting waiver and was able to get green card without any problem.

It will great help if anybody want to share there experiences on this issue.

thanks

You knowing some people who somehow managed to break the law doesn't change the law. USCIS is pretty strict about enforcing the HRR. Just search the forum for posts by people who ran into problems with it.