Change of Address questions

Ramsis

Registered Users (C)
I just wanted to make sure i am doing this right. I am going to be moving to another place and i do not know for sure if its temporary or permanent so i decided best thing to do is apply for a mail box. some friends advised me that it would be best to get a mail box with something like UPS or mail store. so this way i have a physical address and not a P.O. box. And also i don't think i can receive mail in the new place that i will be moving to.

Now when i change my address with USCIS online it asked me for old mailing address & new mailing address it didn't ask me for the old or new address where i live. So is it correct to put my new mail box address as my new mailing address? does USCIS need to know the new address where i reside now? or that is only something i need to update at the DMV & Social Security later on?

thanx

If you're looking to change your mailing address only, then talk to an IO via phone or Infopass. However, be ready to show proof at the interview that you continued ties to your physical address, even if you're not sure now if it's a temporary or permanent move.

hmm. let me clarify the situation a bit more.
I am separating and probably going to file for divorce. so 1) i don't want to receive mail where i used to live with my wife. 2) i don't know if I'm going to stay at the place i am moving to for a long time or no. 3) i don't want this change of address process to affect my application.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you are moving within the same city, correct me if I am wrong, your DO does not change. This way your process shouldn't get delayed. Keep in mind on the day of the interview the IO could well possibly ask you if you are still living at bla bla address. Have you thought about it on what your reposnse would be? You can't tell him that you live in a UPS mailbox store. Like Bobsmyth suggested, I would simply make an infopass apptt and have a word with the officer there so everything is documented and there is no room left for if, else or buts.

yes atlanta_brother i thought about that question and of course i will tell the IO where i live at the time of the interview and the reason i moved if he/she asked.

Good News!! is my new mailing address & new home address both are in the same city where my old address was but the new mailing address is a different zip code. However both new address are in the district of the same DO i already had. And i plan to keep it that way if i had to move a 2nd time i hope not.

so back to the main point. I have a new Mailing address & a new Home address. The online change of address process is asking for ONE address and i was wondering which one should i put Home or Mailing?

Since you have a pending N-400, then you MUST need to-

(1) call USCIS over the phone to update your address; but call them almost everyday to verify if your address has already been updated or not. USCIS is notoriously known for making mistakes and making stories. I know many people who followed USCIS to change their address, yet still USCIS sent their interview letter or RFEs to their old address despite of them doing all they could to change the address.

(2) request the local post office in writing to forward all your mails to your new address, but keep it in mind that sometime some mails don't get forwarded. It's not because of those mails to being govt. mails but it's because of postal office's mistakes. And I don't think you can afford a mistake if your mail were to be still delivered to your old address because then it might be possible that you will not be notified about your any mail from USCIS by the person who is living at your old address. And no need to discuss whether govt. mails get forwarded or not, because there is never a right answer/assurance/guarantee on it. Sometime govt. mails do get forwarded, while other times don't. It's all depend upon the mail-sorting people.

(3) It's also very important to keep calling USCIS almost every other day to know if they have sent anything for you. Because mails do get lost sometimes, regardless of whereever those were sent to. Plus, it's very high possibility that USCIS might send (even mistakenly) any mail for you to your old address despite of you changing address with them...

(4) File AR-11 form with USICS online within 10 days of moving regardless of you moving in the same district office. You are still a LPR, and a LPR is required to report his/her address to USCIS within 10 days of moving.

As for whether or not a rented address can be used to receive a mail then yes it can be, but it shouldn't be a PO BOX. You can use the mailing address as your home address so long it's not a PO BOX. And even if you are moving within the same district office, you are required to report to USCIS about your new address. Change of address while having pending application with USCIS is a very risky step unless people stay vigilant about their mail at their old address as well because there is NEVER a guarantee that USCIS will send the mails to new address despite of making the change. It's just USCIS is notoriously known for making mistakes.

Good luck.

thanx a lot JohnnyCash for that detailed & helpful info

K sorry but i am panicking a bit now but let me explain why

I went ahead today & called USCIS to change my address and i got a confirmation number & a target date. I asked her what is a target date she told me its a date where an Officer will check the address change request & process it or something. She also told me i still need to go online & submit an AR-11 to change my address.

So i did and where it says your new address i put my new Mailing addresss and i got another confirmation number. THEN at the confirmation page it asked me if i have any cases pending to click yes or no. So i clicked yes. then it asked me if my mailing address is the same as the address i provided in the AR-11 form i just submited!!!??? so i was like WTH .. then i wondered if i was suppose to put my new Home address in the AR-11 form not my new mailing address. Anyways i proceded with the steps and at the end i got the following message (At the time you previously notified us of your address change, you were informed that we would send you a confirmation notice. You were also informed that it may take up to 45 days from the date you notified us to receive that confirmation notice.
It has been less than 45 days since you notified us to change your address.
If you do not receive a notice of confirmation that your address has been changed on your application/petition within the 45-day period, please call customer service at 1-800-375-5283 for further assistance.)

so thats when i figured i really screwed up. so i called USCIS again and i talk to a different person and explained everything and he told me not to worry everything i did was correct. !! so i felt a bit comfortable

but i'm curious now & still worried. Doesn't USCIS need to know my new HOME address not just my new mailing address. or should i just wait till the interview date & break the news that i live at a new location to the IO?

If my interview date is sept.22 in cincinnati(0hio),but I will move to another state on Oct.1,2008.Can I tell IO about my situation and ask if they can arrange my oath date within these days?
Thanks.

I would tell my IO that you are waiting for your Oath Date so you can move to another State for work reasons, and not that you WILL be moving regardless of the outcome.

If this doesn't play out, ask your IO at the time of interview what your options are. :D