change job within 180 days of filing AOS

am_var,
your nightmare scenario - would be your employer revokes your I140....you may be in trouble....but I doubt that I140 revoking goes through so fast...(USCIS may take 1 week or 3 months or more???)

I am assuming that's not the case ....just wait till 180 days are up....and then claim to use AC21 portability provisions....to switch your intent to join from GC employer to a new employer with same/similar job duties....

In the meantime, look for a same/similar job....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ginnu,
I referred to a lawyer per your advice. However, in response to mercy1's question about his layoff or termination within 2 months and getting green card approval within 180 days, you suggested that it may be ok if the sponsoring company has no job for him and they give him a letter saying so.
Is this true?

Thanks for the info. It is very helpful.

About delaying I-485 approval, I could not find any clues.
-------------------You can reschedule the fingerprinting or IF any RFE then reply RFE just 4-5 days before RFE reply expiry date
Can you give some more clarification on that.

Thanks,
Mercy1
-----------------------

Ginnu,

I have been reading this topic and thanks for answering the questions. I really appreciate it. I have a question of my own in similar lines

My I-485 (along with EAD and Advance Parole) was filed today and we hope to get receipt of it in say 4 weeks. The problem is that I also got a pink slip yesterday from my company and I have 4 weeks to find another job within my company or separate out. I intend to actually join school and do my MBA full time. So in a way layoff timings were perfect as I was quitting the company anyways to join school.

My company has told me that they will not revoke my I-140 which is pending right now.

Q. What happens now? Worst scenario is that on Aug 18th I have to separate out from company and join school. What happens to my I-485 considering I-140 is not revoked.

Q. I have F1 visa stamp for schooling which is not active (I am on a work visa right now). Do I need to go on F1 or can I study on pending I-485 which my school allows?

You comments are really appreciated as always.

Best
-M

I have one question about green card approval in less than 180 days. I searched everywhere but I could not find a definite answer. There are many people with similar situation.

If one is laid off after filing I-485 in less than 180 days, you can not use AC21 portability.If company goes out of business or cutting down man power, then what will happen to pending I-485.Employee has all the intention to work for them and have been working for them many years on H1B visa.But employer can not offer employment. The employee has another offer in a similar field. In this case can I-485 be approved? I read somewhere it should be fine...Is this info. correct?

Thanks,
Mercy1