Chance of getting TN in my case?

Mightylibra

Hi, this is my first post in here and I'm really glad to find this forum where people come and discuss about the TN application process.

Here's my case. I got an offer from a tech company in NYC to work as an analyst. In the Nafta list, I could apply under "economist" or "management consultant" categories. Given that both categories are heavily scrutinized, which one should I consider applying for? I was told that it's very difficult to have employer/employee relationship as Management consultant, so I kind of lean toward economist, is it the right choice?

I have an MBA from an accredited school in Canada but my bachelor degree is from outside of North America. Does the CBP want to check on it or they just need to look at my highest degree. If they do, an evaluation from a Naces company is enough to justify my credentials?

I read somewhere on this forum that if one is Canadian born, he (she) shouldn't have problems getting TN. But what's about those who aren't? Because I'm far from Canadian born, only became Canadian citizen a few years ago.

The job offer is very good and perfectly fits my education and experience. The hiring company is willing to pay the lawyer to draft TN letter. But I'm still not sure about it.

What do you think about my chance with CBP? I would turn down the offer if it was less than 50% cause I don't want to get in trouble traveling to US later on.

Thank you for reading and any advice is much appreciated.

Last edited:
What was your undergrad degree in.
There is no difference between Cdn and Cdn born. Scaremongering by one or two posters.
The chances of getting TN are either 0 or 100. Being turned down for TN will not harm future visits.

What was your undergrad degree in.
There is no difference between Cdn and Cdn born. Scaremongering by one or two posters.
The chances of getting TN are either 0 or 100. Being turned down for TN will not harm future visits.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

My undergrad degree is in International Economics, which well covered microeconomic and macroeconomic subjects plus I have +10 years experience as analysts.

I'm also well aware that Uscis have modified Economist category, excluding financial analyst and market research type of jobs, so I made it clear with the hiring manager that they should clarify my job duties, I was told that the lawyer will take care of the details, so no need to worry. But in the end, it's me who have to face a CBP officer. To me, between yes or no, it's 50:50 case. What I'm concern is other factors that could influence CBP decision such as where you were born, where you got your degree, etc., which could potentially shift their decision toward a No.

Where you were born? No. Where you got degree? No. Tailoring your job description? Maybe.

Where you were born? No. Where you got degree? No. Tailoring your job description? Maybe.

Can you clarify "tailoring job description"? Do you mean telling lie to the CBP officer? I believe I will perform the job of an economist, which will be shown in the job description.

Although many people had applied for TN as financial analyst or market research before the change set in last December, I know there are differences among those job title and I can easily justify my job duties if they ask. Just wonder based on what ground, they can tell whether one tailor job description?

Not sure what the job description is but the vast majority of economists have graduate degrees in economics (sometimes finance, depending on the specific courses available), not MBAs, and if they do have an MBA it’s usually an add-on to a graduate econ degree. No idea whether or not the cbp guys are that aware, of course.

Tailoring is having your sponsor look in OOH and pick out things that *might* fit what you do, but don't, just to get TN.

For Economist, the education requirement is bachelor degree whilst OOH says economists usually have Master or PHD degrees but there is no "economic major" requirement for this category.

So let say I have an undergraduate degree in Finance and a MBA. With those, I believe I'm more than capable of "analyzing data, using math and stat models, forecasting and solving economic issues." as described by OOH. Not everyone needs to be Paul Krugman, right? Well, I mean even a fresh graduate can perform those duties at certain level and he (she) would get better over time. It's the learning curve.

But I got it now, there is no textbook answers for the situation and it's all down to judgemental call of the officer. So if he didn't like you for where you were born or where you got the degree, he could and would deny your entry for "tailoring job description".

At the end of the day, it's still my God (or luck) who decide whether I get it or not.

For TN purposes, the Economist category requires only a bachelor's in Economics or a closely related field. Nothing more, but nothing less. You don't have to be a Nobel laureate, but you do have to be an economics grad. A finance degree can certainly get you the job, but probably not the TN. Since you have that degree in economics, that is all that matters, so no point discussing "what ifs" at this stage. Time to go to the border.

Experience, higher degrees, etc only helps you at the job interview, which you have successfully passed. Now you are getting TN, where the only two things that matter is that your described JOB TASKS match the TN category, and your credentials satisfy the minimal requirements for that that category.

It's not a matter of luck or personality, or where you were born, nor certainly about divine intervention. You aren't applying to be a missionary. It's all about paperwork. That is why TNs can be done by mail.

Last edited:
@Mightylibra ,
I am not sure under what rock some people live in, but here is what it is. There are many applicants here (and for sure many who dont come to this forum) who had all their paperwork correct and still had issues. So you do need a bit of everything (divine intervention etc) along with your paperwork. If you can highlight your economics courses and show related experience as an economist in the past it will help. Most lawyers ask for a resume and specifically for that reason. These are times when the US government is willing to arm twist other governments and world leaders, and rightfully so for its own interests, I am not sure some forum hero or his advise is any exception. I wish you good luck.

Thank you all for wise advises.

I think I'll go it because it would be a good life experience no matter what the outcome is.

I still believe some factors do play part in CBP decision. So I'll just do my best and the rest is in God hand.

Will update the situation after I go to border.

my bachelor degree is from outside of North America

This is the important part others have missed..!

You must have an accredited evaluation + translation of your degree.

I don't know who does that, but I heard it takes a few weeks and costs a few hundred dollars. Once complete, your degree in "Economics" surely would be appropriate for you to apply for a TN permit as an "Economist"

BTW, to reiterate what others have said:

- Being naturalized vs. born canadian: irrelevant
- Being declined for a TN: doesn't cause any issues with future border crossings