Ces

yxd0018

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
I have a question regarding CES from UoT.
I have MS in computer science in US and BS in EE from China. I got job offer as a software programmer. If I apply for comptuer system analyst job category, do I need CES to verify my undergraduate degree or my MS is sufficient enough?
I 'm now persuading company lawyer to change job category from "engineer" to "computer system analyst" as I think MS won't fit engineer job.

Thanks.

ying

Regardless of what educational evaluation you get, if the TN letter uses the word "programmer", you will not get a TN.

You should have your foreign (Chinese) degree evaluated, as this will be useful in future in any event.

For a CSA TN, your job has to be as CSA. For Enginerring TN, your job must b an engineering job.

Thanks for replying.
If I have CSA on job offer, do I must have my undergraduate degree in EE evaluated NOW if I have MS in CS in US? I'm more concerned about timing to get evaluation.

Your MS should be fine. In any event, it's all you have. Your EE degree is of no value for a CSA-job.

You may not get the CSA job based on your MS, but you certainly won't get it with an EE degree, so you might as well go to border sooner rather than later to find out if you will be rejected.

What is the reason my MS degree with 10 year software experience cannot secure a CSA job? What's qualification for CSa then? Thx

Your MS should be fine. In any event, it's all you have. Your EE degree is of no value for a CSA-job.

You may not get the CSA job based on your MS, but you certainly won't get it with an EE degree, so you might as well go to border sooner rather than later to find out if you will be rejected.

I didn't say your MS degree was of no use, I said you "may" not get your TN (perhaps I should say "might" not) depending on mood of the officer. It will depend on your job description. It "may" not obvious that Computer Scientist equals Computer Systems Analyst.

Your experience counts for nothing in this case. CSA requires Degree OR (diploma and experience). You do not have diploma.

What I am sure of is that your EE degree will not get you a TN in CSA category, your CS degree will not get you Enginerring TN, and the word "programmer" will get you neither.

you are right with the luck at POE.
Just spoke with company lawyer and she thinks EE + MS in CS is close to software engineer and believes "engineer" title has low risk. Spent lots of time convince her that CSA is better. Basically she worries that INS will suspect me being just programmer at POE if CSA is used.
Talked with several friends went to US with TN visa, all of them are using CSA. So I just reiterate my intention to use CSA as TN category. Wait to see what I will get at the end of this week.
I never intend to work as EE so if I can save $200 to accredit my undergraduate degree I will feel good.
Thanks for all the help.

What I am sure of is that your EE degree will not get you a TN in CSA category.

This is not true. I got three TNs in CSA category with a bechelor degree in EE both at border and by mail. The OOH clearly states that engineering is an acceptable field of study for CSA. You can find more information about CSA through the following link: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos287.htm.

As for the OP's original question, your MS in computer science is sufficient to meet the requirement for CSA. There is no need to get certified for your EE degree from China. What you should really be concerned is that weather your job is truely a computer system analysis job or simply a programming job which is ineligible for TN.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, the position need BA + design + development of the system. Probably that's why corp lawyer wants to use a engineer category.

Be careful. The OOH is only useful in the TN context for job description purposes. TN still requires related degree, and there has been a "no engineer for CSA policy" being applied -- admittedly unevenly applied -- for several years.

I agree that if he has any hope of CSA it has to be with his MS, but right now, he's applying for Engineering TN. But, some sticklers have insisted that the Bach degree is what counts -- which all points to Engineering degree needs eval.

General public does not have access to CBP or CIS's internal field manual. OOH is the standard reference that a TN prospect uses to determine wheather the job and the candidate's qualification meets the requirements for TN. Since OOH states that engineering is an acceptable field of study, I think TN applicants with an EE degree can make a good case for CSA. Also, electrical engineering is indeed closely related to computer science. There are many overlaps between the two. In fact, MIT and UC Berkeley both have EE and CS in the same department. All these facts can be used as evidence to show CBP that EE is a closely related education field for CSA jobs.

Without getting the eval, there is no EE degree to present, so the question is moot for the time being.

I'm sure super, you are familiar with the issue at stake, whether there is access to the internal documentation or not.

And I renew my warning that the OOH in the context of TN is only used to verify that the JOB falls under a particular category, not for educational requirements (which are defined in the NAFTA regs directly).

NAFTA regulations never specify the field of study for CSA. It is left for CBP and CIS to determine. All I'm saying is that it is possible to get a TN in CSA category with an EE degree but one should be careful and prepared to present further evidence to support his/her case. As far as the OP's concerned, if your TN letter says CSA, then you should use your MS in CS as education credential. If your letter says Engineer, then you should get your EE degree evaluated. However, since your degree isn't from Canada or US, and your transcript is probably not in English, I'd recommend to go for CSA.

Thanks super and nelsona. I have instructed lawyer to use CSA for the title. It just feels more comfortable at this point.