Case Status changed to RFE after N-400 Interview

Pete023

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I had my citizenship interview at the Raleigh-Durham office on 11/16/11 and passed all the tests, however the officer said he couldn't approve my application at the time since it hasn't been 5 years since I received my GC (today 12/5/11 marks my 5 year anniversary).

After my interview I went online to check my case status and it had changed to RFE, and said that a RFE letter has been sent on 11/16/11. However as of today, i still haven't received that letter. I called the USCIS helpline on Friday and they agreed to send a request to the local office to inquire about my case since it has been over 15 days on the RFE letter.

Did any of you experience a similar issue? Do you think that might be a way to just put the case on hold till the 5th year anniversary? The interview went very well and the interviewer didn't have any additional questions beyond the typical ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is normal, once you meet the requirements (5 yr residency), and your file has passed the supervisor review, you should receive an status update to Oath Scheduling.

You will never actually receive a letter for RFE.

Just be patient.

Hi All,

I had my citizenship interview at the Raleigh-Durham office on 11/16/11 and passed all the tests, however the officer said he couldn't approve my application at the time since it hasn't been 5 years since I received my GC (today 12/5/11 marks my 5 year anniversary).

After my interview I went online to check my case status and it had changed to RFE, and said that a RFE letter has been sent on 11/16/11. However as of today, i still haven't received that letter. I called the USCIS helpline on Friday and they agreed to send a request to the local office to inquire about my case since it has been over 15 days on the RFE letter.

Did any of you experience a similar issue? Do you think that might be a way to just put the case on hold till the 5th year anniversary? The interview went very well and the interviewer didn't have any additional questions beyond the typical ones.

The officer updated the computer to put the case in a pending status, probably wrote a note about what the delay was about and sent to the file room. After the RFE deadline the case will go back for review and get granted. It's a computer update and case/file management trick.

Big joe need your urgent help please

The officer updated the computer to put the case in a pending status, probably wrote a note about what the delay was about and sent to the file room. After the RFE deadline the case will go back for review and get granted. It's a computer update and case/file management trick.

I passed my civics test( n-400) and all other related questions at the interview, however, was issued a continuance , saying that they needed my birth certificate, I had submitted my Baptism certificate for green card and it was accepted. My first and middle name were interchanged in Baptism certificate. I recently got my birth certificate with the correct first and middle name that I have used since I can remember, but the problem is that the Birth certificate contains my parents name initials and full surname. I have also obtained two affidavits , one from Uncle and one from Cousin giving my birth facts and parents' full name and surname in one affidavit and full middle and last name in the other, I cannot get one changed as my cousin is away on a long holiday. Also my cousin is 9.5 years older to me. I have heard that affidavit should be from a person at least 10 years older. Will this affidavit be a problem? This is my first cousin and we grew up together.
1) Should I submit both affidavits together with a copy of Birth Certificate, or will one affidavit with Birth certificate do?
2) Should I submit both affidavits and Birth Certificate along with photocopy of passport which lists father's full name and surname and Mother's first name only.

The officer did not ask me to sign my n-400 application , nor did he ask me to sign behind photographs as is customary at n -400 interviews, so it is without a doubt that I will have to go for a second appearance. I am planning to mail copies and state that I have all originals and can bring them with me at a meeting at his convenience.

Your advice please, much appreciated.

Many thanks