Can't get married!

k_razdan

Registered Users (C)
I was born in the US. My fiance came to the U.S. from India on a student visa. After a couple of years it expired and circumstances prevented him from getting it renewed, however, his passport doesn't expire for another two months. Yesterday we went to the courthouse to get a marriage license and they wouldn't give it to us because his Visa had expired. Has anyone ever heard of this? What do we do now? We have an appointment with an immigration lawyer in a few weeks, but I am impatient and nervous about what is going to happen. Has anyone been in a situation like this? I just want to marry the guy! Can the government really not let us? :confused:

I do not recall having to show my passport to get a marriage license, but that was over three years ago so it is possible that my memory is failing me even if I do not think it is likely in this case. It sure sounds strange to me! I do not mean to scare you, but you have to realize that the proper authorities have the right to deport your husband if he has overstayed his visa, so "the government" could prevent you from getting married in the U.S. if they wanted to. I just do not know that your local courthouse would get involved in such matters. I wish you all luck. :) If all else fails, try Vegas and get married by Elvis with no questions asked. ;)

When i went to get my marriage liscence they only asked for an unexpired government issued id. The only id federally issued I have is my passport but this one does not have my visa info in it and they accepted it. They asked me no questions about my immigration status or anything. I got married in NY.

Have him go to his countries consulate and get a new passport, it is expiring anyway.
Or better, just take the DL. Or go to a different jurisdiction that doesn't care who you are, e.g. Las Vegas, NV.

Doesn't he have an unexpired DL? The only thing I had to take with me for the Marriage License was that. They didn't care about where I came from or if my immigration status was good. In fact, I had a TX DL as I was working in Dallas, though we got the marriage license in NY where my wife was from. So I would agree with Hadron, get a DL and that is all you would need to get the marriage license.

He doesn't have a DL or a sate I.D. We are trying to figure out if getting a sate I.D. would require him to show a valid visa. He said one of his friends got deported when he went to get his DL renewed with an expired visa. Vegas is sounding good! What kind of ID do they require?

I think it could be risky to get a state ID with an expired visa. I know that they started to be stricter with DLs after 9/11. I remember hearing of people having trouble getting DLs even on valid visas, because the visas were not valid for long enough. I do not know if IDs are the same, but I would guess so.

If you happen to live in PA, then a Quaker marriage license may be easier to obtain. I really do not know much about it, but they are as good as regular marriage licenses. I have no experience with marriages in Vegas, but you could try to contact some wedding chapels there to hear what they need to see. I think an attraction with Vegas (and I guess all of Nevada) is that you do not have to wait a few days for your license. I know that PA and other states have a cool-down period.

When my wife and I went to get marriage license, her visa already expired though she filed for an extension and awaiting for a result. They did not ask for visa. Al they asked for is a form of enexpired ID. It could have been DL, ID or passport. As long as someone has a unexpired identity document, county/city court should not have any problem issuing a marriage license. Its not their job to enforce immigration law. All they should ask for is a form of unexpired state or federal ID or foreign passport.

At our local courthouse, my wife had to just show her license from Canada. They asked if she had a passport, and since we had it and it wasn't expired, they did the deed.

If it's not expired, go to a different courthouse !

Thank you everyone for your input thus far. Our lawyer also thought it was strange. The clerks didn't ask for the visa. They said a passport was a valid form of ID, but when we showed it to them they first looked at that and then flipped through to his visa and saw it was expired and said they couldn't accept it. They said it was a recent law in the whole state (OK) and going to a different courthouse wouldn't help. We are going to call some other courthouses to see though. I think the first lady we talked to thought it was a false marriage since the passport itself expires soon. They were so rude and I was in tears and they didn't even try to be kind!

Oh, Ohkies. No suprise here.

Go to Vegas. They will marry anyone without much regard to ID.

Also, in NYC all you need is a passport and 24hrs.

If his passport expired he should get it renewed by his homecountries consulate.

k_razdan said:
I was born in the US. My fiance came to the U.S. from India on a student visa. After a couple of years it expired and circumstances prevented him from getting it renewed, however, his passport doesn't expire for another two months. Yesterday we went to the courthouse to get a marriage license and they wouldn't give it to us because his Visa had expired. Has anyone ever heard of this? What do we do now? We have an appointment with an immigration lawyer in a few weeks, but I am impatient and nervous about what is going to happen. Has anyone been in a situation like this? I just want to marry the guy! Can the government really not let us? :confused:

Some people have intermingled two different issues here. Obtaining a marriage license is different than obtaining a driving or non-driving license. The issue at hand is about obtaining a marriage license and not a driving license. However, I'm going to explain a little bit on both of them.

In order to obtain a US driving license or a non-driving license (which is also called State issued ID), one must have to have a valid visa/status in the US pursuant to 1996 Immigration Reform laws. This requirement is being carefully carrying out after 9/11 incident; otherwise many states in the US did not care about the immigration status of an applicant before. NY state was one of them as it has point system to obtain a DL or N-DL. So long you could have 7 points, you were free/okay to get these documents without a problem. They never cared about immigration status of an applicant before. But after 9/11, almost every state in the union is checking up the immigration status of an applicant before issuing a DL or N-DL.

In order to get married in the United States, one must need to get a Marirage License first. And, to obtain a Marriage License, one must show/present a VALID (unexpired) govt. issued ID to family court. This govt. issued ID could be issued by either US govt. or foreign govt. That means, one must show a Driving License or Non-driving License issued from any state in the US or Canada; or a foreign passport (with or without US visa).

The govt. issued ID is asked/required just to verify the date of birth and Identity of a person who is seeking a marriage license. Thus, immigration status of a person has nothing to do whatsoever with marriage licence. If someone doesn't have a DL or N-DL then s/he should show a VALID foreign passport to obtain a Marriage License. If passport has expired, then this person would need to renew it first thru his/her country's consulate. Legal or illegal status has nothing to do with renewing the passport.

This being said, if someone is refused to issue a Marriage license based up not having immigration status in this country, then s/he should go to another clerk in the court next day to get a marriage license, or s/he could go to family court in other counties in the same state. Doesn't have to be the local family court wherein applicant resides. Also, person could ask to speak to a supervisor if court-clerk is refusing to issue a marriage license based upon immigration status.

As for marrying in the Vegas, then one would still be required to obtain a Marriage License issued by a family court over there before Elvis or Drag Queen or any other person could perform a marriage ceremony. Without a marriage license, noone could perform a marriage ceremony. And if someone would do, then marriage won't be recognized legally.

The only advantage one could have by marrying in the Vegas is-there is no other hassle like many states have. For example, in NJ, people need to take a blood test before a marriage license could be issued. I don't know if they still do that. Plus, there is a waiting periord of 24 hours or more to get married after getting a marriage license. Even in NY, people have to wait at least for 24 hours after obtaining a marriage license in order to get married.

But in Vegas, one can get married right away within a second after obtaining a marriage License. Plus, there is no any blood or urine test requirement either to obtain a marriage certificate. Moreover, the Marriage License Dept. in the courthouse remains open until midnight almost 7 days a week. Further, one can have a high profile/fairly tale/dreamy marriage in Vegas by paying only $200, which would include the gown, texedo, flowers, wedding cake, videography, photography, musci, fees of the marriage performer, and picking up and dropping you at the hotel in the limousine. Not a bad deal. However, it's said that Vegas wedding doesn't stay long, which is somewhat true.

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
JohnnyCash said:
As for marrying in the Vegas, then one would still be required to obtain a Marriage License issued by a family court over there before Elvis or Drag Queen or any other person could perform a marriage ceremony. Without a marriage license, noone could perform a marriage ceremony. And if someone would do, then it won't be considered a legal or valid marriage in the law.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Just a little correction here: In Vegas, Elvis or whoever else, marry you without previously obtaining any Marriage License.

They issue you a Marriage Certificate on the spot and after that, you sent a request to Clark County with a small fee and they send you a Certified Abstract of Marriage.

AMENDMENT:
"Instead "a correction" to JohnnyCash's post, read this as just a different viewpoint from a different member" ;)

Suzy977 said:
Just a little correction here: In Vegas, Elvis or whoever else, marry you without previously obtaining any Marriage License.

They issue you a Marriage Certificate on the spot and after that, you sent a request to Clark County with a small fee and they send you a Certified Abstract of Marriage.

I think you are the one who should be corrected here on the information wherein you have said that a marriage-performer (Elvis or whoever else) in Vegas performs a wedding without obtaining a Marriage License first, which is completely wrong based upon the information that I know/witnessed thru various sources including Las Vegas govt. site.

Even from a common sense and logical point of view, how a marriage-performer can perform a marriage in Vegas (or anywhere else for that matter) without having/seeing a marriage license first? I mean, what would be the point/use then to obtain a marriage license ONCE marriage has already been occured? Or does it mean there is no need of obtaining a Marriage licesne AT ALL if someone would like to get married thur a marriage performer in Vegas? Abolishing the marriage license requirement completely?

Marrying someone without a marriage license just could not be possible especially when govt. has to certify FIRST that people are free to get married. Remember, the sole purpose of a marriage license is- obtaining a permission from the govt. to get married? So, if someone would perform a wedding ceremony without a marriage license then that person is bypassing the need of a marriage license, which meaning s/he is performing the marriage ceremony without govt. permission.

Honestly, I don't see then any need of having a marriage license kinda thing in Vegas if a marriage could be performed there without a marriage license. No brainer here. Further, if a marriage could be performed without obtaining a marriage license first, then who would like to spend the money towards the fees for obtaining a marriage license. Everybody would then just go to the marriage-performer and will get married and then will get a marriage certificate after the marriage from the court. Doesn't make any sense at all, at least to ME.

Speaking of a Marriage CERTIFICATE then a marriage CERTIFICATE is different than a Marriage LICENSE. I did not say a word about a Marriage Certificate in my earlier posting because the issue that OP has is about Marriage LICENSE and not Marriage CERTIFICATE.

A marriage License is issued PRIOR to getting married, which is a permission to get married. State courts (family courts) issue a marriage license after checking up all the information to make sure that intended parties are of legal age to get married, not blood related (insect sorta thing), not doing bigamy, identity of the parties and other more information as per state matrimonial laws, which obviously a 'marriage-performer' cannot verify if s/he would bypass the marriage license.

On the other hand, a marriage CERTIFICATE is a legal proof of a marriage which is issued only AFTER the marriage ceremony.

Check out the following links carefully and attentively to verify every single information that I've provided on a marriage license and a marriage certificate in Las Vegas. All proves my points/statements.

http://www.lasvegasweddingsandchape...edding&OVKEY=las vegas wedding&OVMTC=standard

http://www.insidervlv.com/marriage.html

http://www.gracelandchapel.com/html/frequently_asked_questions.html

http://www.wsbtv.com/travelgetaways/2786560/detail.html

http://lasvegasweddings.lifetips.com/cat/60489/getting-your-wedding-license-in-las-vegas/index.html

http://www.vivalasvegasweddings.com/lasvegas-wedding-chapel-facts.htm

http://weddings.about.com/od/getorganized/a/MarriageLicense.htm

http://www.drrsvcs.com/las-vegas-marriage-certificates.htm

http://www.co.clark.nv.us/recorder/mar_proc.htm

http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/nevada/index.shtml

http://weddinginvegas.com/faqs.html

Also, check out this Las Vegas govt. site to verify my given information. It clearly states that a marriage license is a MUST before a marriage ceremony is performed. It also says that a marriage license will not be issued to someone who is currently married even if someone wants to renew their vows again. That is what I was saying earlier that a marriage license cannot be issued ONCE a marriage has already been performed AND a marriage cannot be performed without obtaining a marriage license first. Here is the link:

http://www.co.clark.nv.us/clerk/marriage_information.htm

Those who are currently married but want to renew their vows again (probably in Vegas style), then obviously they could do so anywhere (including in Vegas) but then govt. has nothing to do with them because they are already legally married. Their "renewing vows" would be just a ceremony, which has nothing to do with legal marriage. All this states in the govt. link that I've provided above. Of course, a priest or a marriage performer could renew their vows without the need of a marriage license. This kind of renewing vows is a whole different ballgame.

Thus, I don't see what "correction" was needed in my above post.

So if it turns out this particular courthouse was just being prejudice, is there anything we can do about it? We are going to try the courthouse in my mom's county as soon as we can next week. This is ridiculous! :mad: