Cancellation of an old B1/B2 visa

Roman72

A week ago I got my new B1/B2 visa. I applied for it as in some months, my old visa will get expired. My old visa is fixed in my old, cancelled passport.

When I got my documents back from the US consulate, I realised that there was no stamp ‘cancelled’ on my old, but still valid visa. Technically, it looks like I have 2 valid visas, the same category. One in my old passport, and my brand new visa in my new one. Is it a problem, or they actually cancelled my old visa in their system, but just forgot to mark my old visa as ‘cancelled’. I am meant to travel to the US soon, and I don’t know what to do. Communicating with the US Consulate is so difficult. There is no line to speak to anyone, just the automatic voice messages. Thank you for your opinions!

You present your new passport with the new visa at the POE. The old visa on the expired passport is most like already cancelled in the system even if there's no cancellation marking on the passport.

I am not an immigration attorney, but I can offer some general advice. It's essential to address any concerns about your visa status before traveling to the United States. Having two valid visas in the same category could potentially create confusion at the port of entry or during immigration checks.
Here are some steps you can take to resolve this situation:
  1. Contact the US Consulate: While you mentioned that communicating with the US Consulate is difficult, try using any available channels, such as email or online forms, to reach out to them. Explain your situation and inquire about the status of your old visa. They should be able to provide clarification or assistance.
  2. Seek professional advice: If contacting the consulate directly does not yield results, consider consulting an immigration attorney. They can guide you through the process and offer advice on how to proceed.
  3. Carry both passports: If you decide to travel to the US, it might be wise to carry both your old and new passports. The visa in your old passport might still be valid and allow you entry. However, to avoid any complications at the port of entry, you should have documentation ready to explain the situation if asked.
  4. Check with the airline: Before traveling, also inquire with the airline you'll be flying with about their policy regarding the two passports and visas. They may have specific guidelines or requirements for passengers with multiple valid visas.
  5. Be prepared for additional questioning: Upon arrival in the US, be prepared to answer questions regarding your visas if asked by immigration officers. Having supporting documentation and explaining the situation clearly can help ease any concerns.
Remember, the information provided here is not legal advice. It's crucial to seek advice from qualified professionals or the US Consulate to ensure that you are complying with all immigration rules and regulations.

It's likely that your old visa was indeed cancelled in the system, but they forgot to physically stamp it as 'cancelled' in your old passport. This happens sometimes. As long as you have your new visa in your new passport, you should be good to go. Just make sure to carry both passports when you travel, just in case. Safe travels!