Canadians in US. Audit Simplified Renewal Passport Application?

sometwo

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys. Didn’t know where to post it but since I am on TN that would be the right place

I am on TN and have my H1B approval with I-94 attached to it. My passport has been expired and I am planning on going back to Canada and use a new Audit Simplified Renewal Passport Application, since it looks like a lot easier to get a new passport that way. My old passport qualifies under all listed requirements. The only thing I worry about is that my permanent address is in US, not Canada. But they require Canadian address. If I show my friend’s address would that be a fraud? I will apply from Canada; does it mean I currently reside in Canada and am qualified for the submission?

Thanks a lot

I don't think you can use this as it is strictly for Cdn citizens living in Canada. What you can do (according to the helpline) is to get an expediated passport, you need proof of your return ticket etc. and you should be able to get it in two days (its an emergency passport). You pay a premium but you should get your passport.

I think you still can get a in lieu of guarantor form if you don't have a guarantor for your photos, application etc.

Indeed the simplified passort application is available only to Cdn residents who also got their current passport while living in Canada.

Why would you lie on a bloody pp application?

Thanks guys for your input

I don’t want to lie!!! It’s the stupid Canadian law requires me to get a guarantor whom I obliged to know for 2 YEARS at least, and who is required to be a dentist, policemen, bank cashier, etc - that's what makes me a bit divisive. What do I have to do if I’ve been here for 1.5 years only and have no acquaintances among the listed?

P.S. Return ticket option only if you use an airline per se. In my case I will cross the border in land (no valid passport on hands)

Thank you

If you can wait until October, you will no longer need specific professional guarantor, anyone you know with a current Cdn passport will do.

But this is indeed a problem we all face when we move. Surely you know someone in Canada who can be your guarantor?

I think I mentioned this before but you can get a form (downloadable I believe) that is "in lieu of a guarantor" so you don't have to try to find a guarantor in you are trying to get your application put together before you head home. Hope this helps!

Otherwise, you should be able to use a notary public down in the US, they are everywhere here unlike Canada.

Renewing Passport

The last time that I had to renew my Canadian Passport (I live and work in the US as an LPR), I just renewed it via the mail and used the In Lieu of Garantor document.

Thank you guys

Nelsona – thanks, I didn’t know that anyone with the current passport will be able to sign for me. Will think over my plans.

Privateer – application requires to provide a LPR number, which I certainly don’t have – how should I answer that part of application? I’m on TN.

Karsan – most certainly I will use that “in lieu” form. Or if I send my application to my friend in Toronto so he can sign it for me? My friend is CPA, but CPA is not among the list for US residents required guarantors.

I general, if I plan a trip to Canada in October, what would be the best steps for me to take? Should I take pictures there?

Thank you,

Contact PP customer services or PP office you'll go. The phone line is extremely BUSY!!! I was told they can process PP in 2 weeks and mail to US address by regular services.

US passport photo is fine, check PP website.

I just renewed my passport last month. I am on TN status living in Texas. I did my application in person in Canada. If you do the application in person, you can use the "Canadians living in Canada" or the "Canadians living in the US" form. You can also use a Canadian guarantor. You can put your US address on either form. The only downside is that you must also pick up the passport in person. Before I did this, I emailed passport Canada - here is their response:

"Thank you for your message of June 5, 2007.

You may submit your application in person in Canada.

The passport application for Canadians residing in the USA or the
passport application for Canadians residing in Canada may be submitted.

Regardless of the form submitted, you may choose an eligible guarantor
from the categories listed on either form. However, once you decide on
the desired list, the chosen guarantor should be practising his or her
profession in the country linked to that list.

You must also present your Alien Registration Card (ARC) at the time of
submission. If you do not have an Alien Registration Card, you may
submit any document that will confirm your status in the United States.

Supporting identification issued in the USA or in Canada is acceptable
if the requirements indicated below are fulfilled:

-the identification must contain the name and signature of the bearer;
and
-it must be issued by either federal, state/provincial, or municipal
government.

Application forms are available at Canadian government offices or on
our website

Issuance of a passport from a Passport Canada office requires 10
working days; not including the day the application is submitted.
However, Passport Canada offices provide express passport issuance
between 2 and 9 business days following the receipt of the application,
for a fee of CAN$30 and urgent service within 24 hours following the
receipt of the application, for a fee of CAN$70. These fees are in
addition to the regular passport fee of CAN$87 for an adult, CAN$37 for
a child between 3 and 15 years of age and CAN$22 for a child under 3
years of age. Proof of urgency will be required.

A personal appearance by the applicant is mandatory both at the time of
submission of the application, and at passport pick-up.

The regular pick-up fee of CAN$10 will be required.

Please note that your new passport cannot be sent to an address in the
United States of America.

Given this personal appearance requirement, submission of the
application at a Receiving Agent by an applicant is not possible.

Photographs taken in the USA and in Canada are acceptable as long as
they meet Passport Canada photographic specifications and are certified
by the guarantor.

We trust this information is of assistance to you.

/miv

Passport Canada/Passeport Canada
Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada / Affaires étrangères et
Commerce international Canada
Government of Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
Gatineau, Canada K1A 0G3
infopass@ppt.gc.ca
Toll-free (within Canada and the United States)/Numéro sans frais (au
Canada et aux États-Unis): 1 800 567-6868
TTY Toll-free (within Canada)/ATS Numéro sans frais (au Canada): 1 866
255-7655
TTY/ATS: (819) 994-3560"

Just to clarify, whether you use the Cdn or US version, it will NOT be the simplified one, since those living in US do not meet the criteria of living in canada.

Cdn and US extended version are almost the same...it just ask for a state instead of a province and the US version cost 10$ more.

I mail my pp application at beginning of May and I received my new passport 2 weeks ago...after I called every week for a month to make my address change (because they can't do it before they begin the process) and the last time to tell them at the same time that I missed my grand-mother funeral because of their delays...and miracle the next week my passport was printed...

The Canadian and US forms are near identical, although the Canadian form has a lot bigger list of eligible people for guarantors.

Thank guys, Klepper for sharing info

I’m just wondering, why this is so complicated? Can submit a regular form for Canadians residing in Canada, but no Audit Simplified one, have to appear twice at the Canadian PP office and no mail option to the US. Arghhhh… :mad:

I mail my pp application at beginning of May and I received my new passport 2 weeks ago

So, you were left with no travel docs even to Canada (assuming your original Citizenship card or BC was mailed with application). Am I correct?

So, you were left with no travel docs even to Canada (assuming your original Citizenship card or BC was mailed with application). Am I correct?

Yes, I just keep my TN visa and I had to send old passport and BC. And I didn't want to take a chance to go out by road of the US with my driver license...and anyway, I'm at 6h00 drive minimum from a border...after I will had have to take a plane to cross all Canada. I knew when I send my application I will be 3-4 months without passport and really I don't want to live that again...I don't understand why they don't process the one from the people outside the country that need it to travel back (US or other) before the people that are still in Canada...

Yes, I just keep my TN visa and I had to send old passport and BC. And I didn't want to take a chance to go out by road of the US with my driver license...and anyway, I'm at 6h00 drive minimum from a border...after I will had have to take a plane to cross all Canada. I knew when I send my application I will be 3-4 months without passport and really I don't want to live that again...I don't understand why they don't process the one from the people outside the country that need it to travel back (US or other) before the people that are still in Canada...

Thanks mel0526. Another question - did you send any ID's along with the application? Looks like they require state ID as well (or the expired passport will suffice?)

Thanks (what a pain)