Canadian visa in RTD

ASSYLEE

Registered Users (C)
I'm planning on going to Canada just for a weekend trip. How long does it take to get a Canadian visa in an RTD (no GC). I'll be applying at the NYC consulate. Also, can I check "Multipe Visa" even though I'm only showing proof for one trip? I plan on going a few times for the rest of the year but have only one trip planned and have proof (itinerary and hotel reservation) for that trip only.

PS. I'm aware that if I only get a single entry visa to Canada, I can return to Canada as many times as I want with that same visa as long as I remain within the US. Thank you in advance.

When I still had to use my RTD, it took only couple hours here in Seattle. I went through interview of course, but they just wanted to know if I had a steady job in US. Nice officers here.

I'm planning on going to Canada just for a weekend trip. How long does it take to get a Canadian visa in an RTD (no GC). I'll be applying at the NYC consulate. Also, can I check "Multipe Visa" even though I'm only showing proof for one trip? I plan on going a few times for the rest of the year but have only one trip planned and have proof (itinerary and hotel reservation) for that trip only.

PS. I'm aware that if I only get a single entry visa to Canada, I can return to Canada as many times as I want with that same visa as long as I remain within the US. Thank you in advance.

The last time I applied for Canadian visa in NY office, it took only one day, you go in the morning and leave your rtd and came back after lunch time for interview. You might want to check and pay for multiple entry though. When I went, I checked single entry and they only issued me visa valid for the itinerary I gave them. Bring a complete document showing your employment, funds, and tied to US (mortgage, loan, etc), in case you get a picky officer. I got rejected once when I applied in DC office and yet approved on NYC office a week later bringing the same documentation. :rolleyes:

ASYLEE,

Are u sure that if one get a single entry visa he can use it as multiple visa provided the visa holder stays in USA? Can u give any reference to this rule? My wife got Canadaian Visa in one day from NY consulate on her RTD with no GC. The only document they looked at was bank statement and my pay stubs (spouse's steady job is also considered as proof of ties to the country of residence)

Thanks

ASYLEE,

Are u sure that if one get a single entry visa he can use it as multiple visa provided the visa holder stays in USA? Can u give any reference to this rule? My wife got Canadaian Visa in one day from NY consulate on her RTD with no GC. The only document they looked at was bank statement and my pay stubs (spouse's steady job is also considered as proof of ties to the country of residence)

Thanks

Thank you to everyone who responded. I will give the multiple entry a shot and report back.

chang1428, below is where I got my information from. I've entered Canada a few times showing my single-entry visa in the past in 2003. They didn't really check to see if I had left the US or not and allowed me re-entry even though it was a single entry visa and it was already endorsed the first time I entered Canada.

If you leave Canada before the expiry date on your single-entry visa, you must get a new visa to re-enter Canada.

There are two exceptions: you can visit the United States or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon and return to Canada without getting a new visa, as long as you:

return within the initial period authorized by the immigration officer or
have a valid visitor record, work permit, study permit, or a temporary resident permit (authorizing re-entry) and return within the initial period authorized by the officer.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/visit/visit-faq01.asp

I ended up applying for a single entry visa just because I didn't want there to be any objections from the immigration officer's side stating I didn't show enough proof for mulitple visits. Also, I believe they issue multiple visas for a year or longer periods of time and not for six months. The validity of the RTD prevents me from getting a visa for a year since it barely is valid for a year. So I figured there could have been two possible outcomes; 1. They could have rejected me outright and kept the processing fee of $150 or 2. They could have issued me a single entry visa so I would end up paying twice for what I would normally pay for a single entry. This is why I only applied for a single entry.

I sent the papers on Tuesday evening and got my RTD with a six month valid visa on Saturday. :)