Canadian PR but PR expired in Feb. Can I apply for a visitor visa

srinivas26

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I became a Canadian PR in Jan 2005 and the PR card expired yesterday since it says valid until March 2010. I have never lived in Canada and have not met my obligation of 2 yrs stay. I frequently travel to Canada on work and need to get a visa. Can I get a visitor visa since my PR card expired? I don't plan to apply for renewal of my card as I am sure I will be denied. Please advice.

Thanks a ton for helping me out.

:confused:

Hello Triple,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. If I relinquished the PR now, is it possible to get a PR ever again? Would I have to go through the painstaking process all over again? Like I already mentioned, I keep travelling to Canada for work. Could this be a basis to apply for a renewal rather than relinquish it?

Again, I really appreciate your time.

Hello,

I became a Canadian PR in Jan 2005 and the PR card expired yesterday since it says valid until March 2010.
I have never lived in Canada and have not met my obligation of 2 yrs stay.
-----Who is going to check at border? at border they dont ask much. just say “Canada PR returning home” then in Canada go to any Indian lawyer(they know all the tricks) and Apply for PR Card renewal from Canada and you will need Canada address. (That is what one of the person did and got his new Card.)
I frequently travel to Canada on work and need to get a visa.
Can I get a visitor visa since my PR card expired?
-----You can and inform you were PR of Canada.
I don't plan to apply for renewal of my card as I am sure I will be denied. Please advice.

Thanks a ton for helping me out.

:confused:

-------------------------

Who is going to check at the border? Well, the immigration officers do check. They are well familiar with these tricks and the most familiar question the immigrants face is "How long were you away from Canada?".

I relinquished my PR on 3/8 and got a visitor visa. However, the relinquishment application had a note that said "you can rescind your declaration within 30 days of relinquishing it". I am now planning to apply for cancellation as I am seriously considering moving to Windsor and driving to detroit for work. Has anyone ever done this before? Please share your experiences if you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did apply a visitor visa with my PR expired. They have asked me to come for interview with Travel Document application filled. I dont know why they said that. Anyway going for the interview next week.

Anyone had situation l ike this?

Hi. I have a question please. My PR for Canada expires on 29th of june, 2010. I have been there 5-6 times during the 5 year period but havent stayed for 2 years in total. I was studying and juat have given my final exams in India. I am not able to go to canada before june 29, and thinking about re applying or trying for an extention. What is the possiblity that I'll get an extenstion for my visa. I have valid reasons for not spending time there, but no valid reason for not going right now.

VALID REASON: I went there after 11th and tried admission in 12th, couldnt get through so had to come back to India and continue schooling here. I applied for a dental course but it had 2 years waiting. So I did 1 year course here and went back. I couldnt find a job there, and could even get admission in college, so I had to come back again and finish my college here. I have the documents to prove my point.

Please advise what are the chances of getting extension for my PR.

Thank you

My Canadian PR expired and i need to visit Canada next week. I am on H1B with I-140, EAD, AP approved and 485(Concurrent) Pending. Can i go to Canadian Embassy in NY and surrender my Candian PR and ask for Visitor Visa? I did not retain my residency in Canada. Please advise.

Hi, srinivas26. I hope you got your situation resolved. Were you using your PR card to enter Canada so far (while it was valid)? Were you at some point over the allowed 3 years of absence and still able to enter? This concerns me greatly!

Thanks for your response.