Canadian marrying a USC Please help.

Jordano

Registered Users (C)
Hello all. I have a lot of questions regarding my situation. My GF is a USC. We have been together for almost 2 years now. Marriage is our next step. What is all involved for me to get down to the US legally and work? Am I issued a temp SS #? How long does the whole process take? I understand I am not given citizenship because of all the scamers that get married for that reason. Any advice from anyone that has had to deal with the same situation? We plan on getting married in Feb or March? After marriage how long would it take for me to get down their and be working? I have had job offers from employers in Dallas and Houston but I am unqualified for a TN visa because I don’t have a UNI degree. The employers don’t want to front the costs for the lawyer .Would hiring a lawyer speed up the process? :confused:

Jordano said:
Hello all. I have a lot of questions regarding my situation. My GF is a USC. We have been together for almost 2 years now. Marriage is our next step. What is all involved for me to get down to the US legally and work? Am I issued a temp SS #? How long does the whole process take? I understand I am not given citizenship because of all the scamers that get married for that reason. Any advice from anyone that has had to deal with the same situation? We plan on getting married in Feb or March? After marriage how long would it take for me to get down their and be working? I have had job offers from employers in Dallas and Houston but I am unqualified for a TN visa because I don’t have a UNI degree. The employers don’t want to front the costs for the lawyer .Would hiring a lawyer speed up the process? :confused:
If you are a Canadian citizen, then thats easy, you can apply for K Visa as fiancee' if you have genuinely propose and make orgainse plans that you marry her in few months as you said, after getting K visa, you can apply for work Authorization.

Note: This is not a legal advise, I might even be wrong, you gotta do more finding, but i think am right

Re

The thing is she's living with me in Canada currently (Visitor visa). Do I apply or does she file all the paper work? Can she go the the US consulate here (Calgary) and get the paper work done? Thanks for your help.

Jordano said:
The thing is she's living with me in Canada currently (Visitor visa). Do I apply or does she file all the paper work?

You need to decide what your intentions are, in terms of living.

If you are going to be in Canada for a while, then get married and have your wife file an I-130 on your behalf at NBC. Once you get the receipt, then file an I-129F so you can get a K-3 visa.

If you want to go to the US quickly, then have your spouse file an I-129F at NBC for a K-1 visa. You'll need a consular interview at Calgary (the Canadian citizen visa stamp exemption does not apply to K visas) and then go to the US. You should be able to apply for an EAD once you get to the US, and you will need to get married within 90 days of entry.

Either way, you're probably looking at 3-6 months before you get work authorization.

Re

tamz said:
I have filed for the I-129F visa, and I was advised that a medical was needed, and a police check for all places I have lived since I was 15, to bring with me, in addition to personal info, for my consulate interview.

Hope that helps.

This site has useful information on this visa
[URL=http://]http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants_types_marriage2.html[/URL]

Wow! I am surprised that I (A Canadian citizen) would have to get a medical. I could see if I was coming from Rwanda or something.

Wow! I am surprised that I (A Canadian citizen) would have to get a medical. I could see if I was coming from Rwanda or something.

Apparently you are as infectious as Rwandian! :D

ya, we are treated like we are from iran or something and not US's neighbor to the north. I was floored when I found out I needed a medical. But hey..love is worth all these forms, filing, and fee's crap.

You're probably all rampant SARS carriers. :)

Seriously, a medical is required of all immigrants, no matter wether they come from Angola or Andorra, Canada or Cameroon, Switzerland or Swaziland.

Medical

Good day. I am Cdn, and my wife is the US Citizen. Just complted CR-1 process and now residing in USA. In regards to the medical, you just cant goto any DR to get it done. You have to goto an approved DR. You get that list in one of the packets they will send you. In regards to how long the various visas take, it all depends which service centre your application will goto, and that is decided by where the USA citizen lives!! We were lucky and were able to File through Vermont, which seems to tbe the fastest!! We started out process back in May 2004 and interview was Dec 7. For CR-1/Ir-1 Montreal is the only place in Canada that conducts those interviews!! Normally the "Fiance" visas are a bit faster, but again depends which service centre it goes through. Our CR-1 was faster than our fiance visa!! Little helpful advice--I dont know much but here is a few things I know:

1) Don't leave any blank spaces!!! Put down "None", "N/A" , "Unknown" Just dont leave a blank space!! Other wise you may get a RFE+Request further evidence, which slows downthe process!!!

2) Take your time and ensure its filled out properly, you can hand write the info in, but computer is easier to read

3) gather up required documents!! If you have had a brush with the law, actually had a criminal record at one time, you will require to be finger printed! And the RCMp has a big back log! Taking approx 5-6 months to get results back!!! So plan accordingly!! But as a Cdn Citizen, your record is clear, you wont require to be fingerprinted, just a Criminal background check, completed by localRCMP detachment. They search Canada wide!!

4) some documents are only good for 6 months once you have them, such has criminal background check!!

5) Cdn citizen wil require "long" form birth cert. Its the one with your parents names on the birth cert. You can order it from the Provinces Vita statistics dept. You can Google serach it (prov name vital statistics) Some prov take longer than others. Sask was very fast (1 week) while Ont seems to be very very slow!!

6) another great site is visajourney.com they have step by step process on the top of each topic forum!! Very easy to follow

Best of luck

Update

Ok So I have gotten the long form of my birth certificate and my Poice check done. Where do I get a list of Dr's apporved by the US so I can get my medical exam done. Also too what else do I need to get or get done for paper work? Once I have all those forms can my GF file in Canada at the US Consulate?