Canadian citizen/US citizen traveling to Canada

9pups

Registered Users (C)
If one is a Canadian citizen and a US citizen as well, should one use the Canadian citizenship card or passport to enter Canada? When one returns to the US, one should use the US Naturalization paper or US passport to enter, correct?

Canadian citizens should use Canadian passports to enter Canada at all times, no matter if they are also citizens of other countries. And yes, use the US passport to re-enter USA. You are not required to mention if you are also a citizen of other countries - neither country cares.

Traveling to Canada with Dual

I believe the previous poster is in error.

If you have dual citizenship and you live in the US, when you travel to Canada do it on your US passport and if traveling by car ask to have it stamped and when you return to the US use your US passport and have it stamped as well.

I am a dual Canadian/American citizen and I would not travel to Canada in my vehicle with my Canadian Passport...I live in the US so that is the way that I would do it.

Nope not an error. The general rule is to use your Canadian one when going to Canada and the US one for returning.

Personally I'm and both as well, and I'm not going to bother with the Canadian one. I'll just use the US passport to enter both countries just like any other US citizen does...

If you have dual citizenship and you live in the US, when you travel to Canada do it on your US passport and if traveling by car ask to have it stamped and when you return to the US use your US passport and have it stamped as well.

You should use your Canadian passport to travel to Canada, and there is no need whatsoever to have your passport stamped.

Passport stamps are so archaic, especially when one considers that both the Canadians and the Americans are adding you into a database each time you cross. :)

TheRealCanadian,

Any thoughts on dual citizenship and its implications from the U.S. point of view?

How about naturalized U.S. citizens who choose to go back to their home country.

Will they face problems at the U.S. Consulate if the Department of State office discovered that they have more than one citizenship?

I've been gettnig some good opinions on this matter but no one cites the law. Any links out there on this issue?

Thanks,
Taam

Will they face problems at the U.S. Consulate if the Department of State office discovered that they have more than one citizenship?

No. Why would they? The US doesn't care if you have multiple citizenships; it just takes no notice of them.

I am Canadian citizen living in the US. Many times, I crossed the US/Canada border by car using Canadian passport and US green card. When I entered Canada and presented my Canadian passport to the border officer, there always seemed to be a confusion about my status in US. The officer had to ask me a lot of questions (where I live; what I do in US; for how long etc). Each time I was asked to show the green card too. Then once an officer told me, if I am asked about my nationality, I should respond "Canadian citizen with US green card" to avoid the confusion. I did that since then and always showed both Canadian passport and US green card when I entered Canada.

Now I am about to become US citizen too. I can imagine that if I enter Canada using only the Canadian passport, the Canadian border officer will surely ask me a lot of questions about my status in US again. I will likely need to show my US passport too.

Should I just show both passports and state that I am dual citizen at the Canada border? It would appear that it is simpler to just use the US passport to enter Canada. I understand that I should always use the US passport to come back to US.

I would like to hear other people's experience at the Canada border. Thanks.

I hold both and present myself as their citizen when I approach a POE. Either side does not care about the other citizenship. Each one of them considers me their citizen.

Any thoughts on dual citizenship and its implications from the U.S. point of view?

What about them? Their US citizenship stays intact barring a few deliberate actions.

How about naturalized U.S. citizens who choose to go back to their home country.

i too now hold both us and canadian citizenship. i just use nexus. and by pass all the problems you guys have, lol. but i just applied for my EDL which ill get soon, then ill just use that at any POE, if more than my nexus is asked for, or if nexus closed, but seriously, if you guys cross often, why not just get nexus.

I've never had any issues with dual citizenship and crossing the US-Canadian border. I thought about getting NEXUS, but since I make only 2-3 trips a year to visit my folks in Ontario, I decided against it.

i too now hold both us and canadian citizenship. i just use nexus. and by pass all the problems you guys have, lol.