Canadia student in US

hammond

Hi,
I am a US citizen. My 2 sons are Canadian citizen . one will be starting part of education in the US in 6 months from now and the second son will be starting in 2 years. They will be on student visa. When is the best time I start applying for there green card.
Thank you

Be careful. Per immigration law, F-1 visas are not supposed to be issued to anyone with intent to immigrate.

This.

Plus, why on earth would you want them to be on F-1 visas? That would ensure that they pay non-resident tuition.

I thought that make difference only between in-state and out-of-state students and here state means one of those
50 states in USA.

Hi,
I am a US citizen. My 2 sons are Canadian citizen . one will be starting part of education in the US in 6 months from now and the second son will be starting in 2 years. They will be on student visa. When is the best time I start applying for there green card.

Do you live in the US? Were you a US citizen when they were born? Was their mother a US citizen when they were born?

They might be able to claim US citizenship, depending on all the facts.

If they don't qualify for US citizenship, you should be applying for the older son's green card right now, and if he's outside the US now he should delay the start of his studies (by asking for deferred admissions) for at least another semester, so he can start studies as a green card holder, which would make him eligible for more scholarships and free to work off-campus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that make difference only between in-state and out-of-state students and here state means one of those
50 states in USA.

Student visa (F1) status means they automatically pay out-of-state tuition at state schools, regardless of how long they've lived in whichever state.

I think that depends on which state

No. All state universities charge out-of-state tuition to F1 students. I think that's Federal law, because with an F1 visa they're not considered residents of any state.

Some talented F1 students may get grants or scholarships or stipends to offset most or all of the out-of-state difference (and maybe even full tuition), resulting in the net cost being the same or about the same as in-state students, but they're still billed for the whole out-of-state fee and have to get the scholarship/grant/stipend applied to it appropriately.

No. All state universities charge out-of-state tuition to F1 students. I think that's Federal law, because with an F1 visa they're not considered residents of any state.

That must be something new since I knew many F-1 /J-1 students paid in-state tuition after second year before, or
they did not knew the law and the university did not bother to check

The best time to apply for your sons green card is when you're just applying "fuh so". In this way, if you turn away, it will not be as bad. If you really want then applying for U.S. green card application is a trying experience.