Canada Travel Report!

Lazerthegreat

Registered Users (C)
Hi all! Just came back from canada after one week of vacation by air.

- Showed fresh RTD at the airport (old RTD had I-94 card in it which is still attached). Neither bother to show old RTD nor asked about it. NO questions asked.

- Reached canadian customs. Customs officer at canadian airport asked a hell lot of questions although I had already been to canada before.

- Came back by air after one week of stay. US Immigration process was smooth. Although I saw even canadian citizens stuck for questioning.
I was asked to go into special inpection room where officer disappeared into room for about 30 Mins and called me for interview. (like why you traveled to canada, where do you live in USA etc)

- Red stamp both on RTD and I-94 card allowing one year of employment date.

hope this helps

Wow! - Sounds scary. They called you into a room for questioning? - That seems to unnesscary. I don't see why they Canadian authorities should give you so much trouble.
After all you are already an asylee in the US. It's not like you are knocking at their doors! .

Just curious - which Canadian city did you leave from?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lazerthegreat,
Can you please tell me that when you reached the Canadian Customs, did they check you Canadian visa on the RTD and stamp it (or scratch it). And when you went through the US customs on your way back, did they again check to see your Canadian visa on your RTD to verify if it is still valid. And lastly, did you fly from US to Canada. (you mentioned that you flew from Canada to US)

Thanks,
Jimbol

I flew both ways.. Canadian customs only asked questions but did not take me into room. INS took me into room while coming back.
Canadian officer crossed the visa (as it was single entry) and put immigration stamp right next page.
INS was not concerned with canadian visa whether its valid or not. However they were concerned why I visited canada.
I flew to toronto.

Originally posted by Lazerthegreat
I flew both ways.. Canadian customs only asked questions but did not take me into room. INS took me into room while coming back.
Canadian officer crossed the visa (as it was single entry) and put immigration stamp right next page.
INS was not concerned with canadian visa whether its valid or not. However they were concerned why I visited canada.
I flew to toronto.

firstly, congratulations for ur smooth journey:)
secondly, i just wanna ask u:
when u flew off the U.S, did custom check ur passport or IMMIGRATION STATUS? or did they record ur documents' number?

when u return to the U.S, what did INS officer ask u?
Pls be more specific.
Thx for ur experience! It's awesome!

I was asked to present a passport while leaving US. I showed him RTD and he did record some numbers in his computer.

On my way back, INS officer asked me

1. What is your occupation
2. Purpose of visit to canada
3. My address in US
4. What is inside my bags (did not check it though)

Yesterday, December 4th I drove to the Windsor border (Detroit, Michigan) and was accompanied by my wife and daughter (both, Canadian citizens). The officer asked us standard questions. Then he returned my RTD (NO Stamp of entry) and allowed us to enter Canada. I have the multiple entry visa for Canada on my RTD.

My brother was traveling on train to meet us up in Toronto. He also has a RTD with Multiple entry Canadian visa. This was going to be his first visit to Canada. Immigration officers boarded the train in Sarnia, Ontario. He was given entry ( His RTD was stamped)

Few minutes later him and few other people were taken off the train and their luggage was thoroughly searched. Immigration officers (Now two officers)
They went through all the documents in his possession. The new two officers asked him questions for about one hour. (All sort of questions) then they went and got the original officer who had granted the entry and then they cancelled his entry.

He was accompanied back to US border. (Canadian immigration officers had his documents in their possessions. e.g. Asylum approval letter, Copy of EAD. He had copies of his original documents because he did not want to take the originals with him during the trip) . In Port Huron he was met by U.S. Immigration officer who told him that HE is not supposed to be traveling on the RTD. They kept him for about half an hour and then Canadians came back and gave him his documents back.

On same day on two different borders people with same status had completely opposite experiences. This has practically ruined our family reunion as it would have been me, my brother and our sister here.

If someone has similar experience where entry was given and then cancelled, I have few questions...

1) Does this means his current visa is invalid now?
2) Can he visit Canada again?
3) Should he visit Canada when he has been initially declined?
4) Is there any process where information can be obtained on why the entry was rejected and if there is some information it can be corrected/rectified?
5) Does this mean he will have a problem getting a Canadian visa and entry in future?

If someone has some familiarity with anyone who had come across a similar situation then his or her input will be really appreciated.

===
Us Asylum seekers are a unique bunch, as we are running away from our homelands, the little family we have outside of USA we cannot visit now because of these times we are living in.
Immigration and other government officials are not familiar with our plight...

I am currently in Canada and will be traveling back home in few days and will provide the status of my trip back.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least he was let back in to the US. From my past experience, leaving the US is very easy, entering back is a bit more of a chore.

If I were your brother, I would have said, "What the point of an RTD if you can't travel with it?"

Could you please elaborate what the immigration officers resonings were? . I don't get it.

If I were you I would consider bringing legal action against the INS. This kind of abuse needs to stop (presuming your brother did nothing wrong and is on the right side of the law).

He does not have any problem with Law. But the basic problem here is who are you going to file against? on what grounds and what kind of remedy you can demand.

Logical questions are :

Well if asylees can not travel then what is the point of issuing a Travel Document? ( I myself have been traveling on RTD and did the same day so it is obviously not true)

Why did Canadians issue you a Travel Visa on a document that should not have been issued ?

My brother did not confront the officials as it has never helped anyone's case. As far as the Immigration Officer who says that He was not authorized to travel, I am sure that he is not familiar with asylee rights and was just stating his understanding .. The immigration officer in US while readmitting did not offer any explaination..

The problem with people in our situation is that you do not want to be prominent for any reason as you are afraid of retaliation and the power of discretion they have that can ruin you..

I suppose not many people have had similar experience in entering Canada. If someone has any suggestion it will be appreciatd ...