Canada to US Fiance or Spouse VISA?

mactrekker1701

hi, i'm planning to marry z US citizen and i am a Canadian.
what is the best way to do this for speed and quickest work atuthourization for me?

does anyone have any experience in processing timess? she lives in Mass and i am near Toronto.

thanks so much!

Hugh

Hugh,
Go the K-1 route. K-1 status grants your immediate work authorisation. Then you get married within 90 days and apply for your GC within the states itself. I moved from Ontario to Massachusetts in 2002 doing exactly that.
Good luck!!!

Hugh,
Go the K-1 route. K-1 status grants your immediate work authorisation. Then you get married within 90 days and apply for your GC within the states itself. I moved from Ontario to Massachusetts in 2002 doing exactly that.
Good luck!!!
Whilst a K1 is employment authorized for the first 90 days, to be hired, they need an employment authorization document (EAD) to satisfy the I-9. If a K-1 is lucky enough to get a stamp on their I-94 (e.g. through JFK at port of entry), the I-94 stamped 'employment authorized' is a sufficient document. It is all up to the employer though as they are the one completing the I-9. It is of no fault of the K1 as they are employment authorized, if the employer is a little lax.