Canada targets H-1B Visa Holders

sandipchowta

Registered Users (C)
Hello All. This forum has been very helpful in order to get information regarding citizenship. However i just recently came to know that if you have a H1b visa in US then you can get a canadian green card in 8 months.

I wanted to know if it is legit or not and shall i apply for my canadian citizenship or green card. Here is my background. I have been in US for 7 years and completed my bachelors and working for a company over here who have sponsored me. I got my H1 last october.

I have seen people working in US for almost 8 years on H1 and still their green card is in process. Just to be on the safe side someone told me that i should apply for canadian green card or citizenship which i can get it pretty sooner. I work as a software developer in US. Is it possible for me to apply for canadian GC or citizenship and i don't have to go to Canada for it as stated in that URL. How long the application takes it to process ?.

If i get my canadian citizenship or GC can i still work for the US company and can still apply for American green card ?

Thanks for reading and awaiting response.

First of all, you don't apply for a Canadian citizenship. You apply for permanent residence in Canada and you will get it if you qualify. It allows you to work and live in Canada permanently. There are costs involved, check this website:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

As a Canadian resident there is no benefit with regards to working in the US unless you spend enough years in Canada, qualify for and obtain Canadian citizenship. After you become a Canadian citizen you can come in and work in US on a TN visa.

There is nothing magical about H1b status in US for Canadian immigration. Their process takes 8-12 months if you qualify.

thanks for your reply. I read on the URL posted by you and it looks like you had to work or live in canada in order to apply for the Permenant residence . Actually i would like to live in US and conitinue working in US but just to be on the safe side would like to apply for permenant residency in canada just for the safe side as US green card processing takes a lot of time.

I wil try to find some more information on it.

This is what i found from canadavisa.com

You may be able to qualify for fast-track Canadian immigration under one of the Provincial Nomination Programs (PNP), such as the U.S. Visa Holder Category of the Strategic Recruitment Stream of the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP), or under the Federal Skilled Worker category of Canadian immigration.

Canada has always favoured immigrants with North American training and work experience. It makes sense because that's what Canadian employers prefer. The good news is that you do not require a job offer from a Canadian employer in order to qualify for a Canada Immigration (Permanent Resident) Visa. The even better news is that you can count on fast-track priority processing of your application.

Please note: The lists of eligible occupations under the various Provincial Nomination Programs and the Federal Skilled Worker category of Canadian immigration are subject to change without any prior notice or warning. If your occupation is currently on one of these lists, it is in your best interest to submit your application as soon as possible to ensure that you will be able to qualify.

Send us the details of your temporary status in the United States and we'll assess you to see if you qualify for one of these programs. We will get back to you as soon as possible.

Actually i would like to live in US and conitinue working in US but just to be on the safe side would like to apply for permenant residency in canada just for the safe side as US green card processing takes a lot of time.

You do know what the word "residency" means, right?

That is what i am over here to find. I think i should have changed my question like :-

If i plan to apply for canadian residency can i still work in US even after getting my canadian residency ?

That is what i am over here to find. I think i should have changed my question like :-

If i plan to apply for canadian residency can i still work in US even after getting my canadian residency ?
Answer is No. You cannot get Canadian residency and continue to live/work in US and still maintain the Canadian residency. That is unless there is some stuff about living in Canada and working across border.