Can you travel out of the country with a passport stamp after the interview?

USATnT

Registered Users (C)
My husband and I have finally been scheduled next month for our interview to adjust status. My husband is a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago. He was a visa overstayer. I am a U.S. citizen. We first applied in September of last year filing the I-485, I-130, and I-765.

If the interview goes well, he is supposed to receive a stamp in his passport. Then he must wait for his actual green card to come in the mail. I don't know how long it takes to receive the green card but we want to travel to the Caribbean for a honeymoon (we never had before) one month after his interview. Will he be able to travel and re-enter the U.S. with only a stamp or must he wait for the green card to come in the mail???

Our Timeline looks like this:

Wedding in July 2010
Applications sent complete September 20, 2010
Receipts from USCIC dated October 1, 2010
Biometrics November 5, 2010
Work permit received December 1,2010
Letter from USCIS for interview (scheduled July 20) received letter June 17,2011

Usually they don't stamp the passport at the interview. But if they actually stamp it with the I-551, yes he can travel with it.

You're taking a risk if you book the trip for 1 month after the interview. If they don't stamp his passport at the interview, it might take more than a month after the interview for them to approve the case and send the card, which would mean he can't make the trip.

USATnT,

My wife had a AOS interview last week, and was approved by the IO. Her passport was not stamped. The IO said the Green Card should arrive in the mail in about 30 days. He also said if she needs to travel, she should come back and have her passport stamped, so she can re-enter the US.

His advise was to wait for the Green Card to arrive before taking any trips.

If he is approved at the interview, he might have to set-up an Infopass appointment for an I551 stamp if it is not provided then and there. Try to make an appointment now, just in-case. He can cancel it later.