Can We settle on These Bases?

I-485 settlement

Hi All,
This is my first e-mail but have been observing this forum for a while. I had sent the information about the law suit to Mark Dayton, (Senator from Minnesota). I received as response from him stating that the next congress is going to discuss immigration issues. He did mentione that he will keep in mind my suggestion and problems while going in for discussion.
Guess it will make sense for all of us to flood our respective congress man/woman with the law suit information and other relevant information. It will help them call the DOJ's bluff and hopefully come to some sane full conclusions and decisions.
Finally would like to thank Rajiv for his efforts as a lawyer and more importantly as a social worker to help the law abiding community of future immigrants.

Regards
Singhflying

Govt. has refused to cooperate on one issue at least
Here is some of the relevant parts of their e-mail:

"Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:30:43 -0500 (EST)
Rajiv, I wanted to get back with you regarding your class cert. stipulation proposal. We had two meetings over here to discuss your proposal. However, after review of your proposal it does not look like DOJ can agree to it.....Finally, when can we expect your list of proposed settlement topics? Best regards"

At this point, I intend to present our settlement request this week. If they do not agree, we will go full steam ahead with the litigation. I intend to hire one more law clerk to devote full attention to our case. Upon refusal of our proposal, we will expose the shamfeul results of these delays. We have cases of people suffering horribly because of CIS.

Take care all. Do not lose heart. We won the day we filed the lawsuit. Rest all is just effort.

Not surprised. I don't think this administration is going to admit to any shortcomings on anything. I'd be surprised if they agree to anything. The question is how many overtures do we make to them before proceeding with the real litigation. I hope we are not being seen as weak by trying to settle......... or reveal strategy here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Brain Storm Session

Originally posted by dsatish
Rajiv,
How about having a brain storming conference call (with 10 selected members from this thread) to go over and if necessary refine our proposals to CIS ? I suggest that we do it on Tuesday noon. If we make it during the lunch time (12pm to 1pm) atleast those who can make it can dial in from their cell phones during lunch break. If you agree for the conference call, then let us pick 10 people based on their level of participation and diverse views.
Since you told that you will be sending the proposals this week, it's better to have this conference call within 2 days.

Sure. I will be available.

I do want help from the community in approaching Congress

and in getting more people involved. Every little bit helps. Keep going. I will discuss the details in the conference call.

conference call

Let us definitely have the conference call on Tuesday. Deciding the timing is a tricky thing because different people are from different timezones. Let me give a roll call.
THOSE WHO WANT TO TAKE PART IN THE CONFERENCE CALL, PLEASE REPLY, STATING YOUR AREA/TIMEZONE. It is preferred to have only those who have actively participated in this discussion, but we will try to accommodate as many as possible(upto 12 members)

PS: We are not going to dump I140. It's supporters will also make it to the conference call.

Re: I-485 settlement

Good job Singhflying. Could you tell us a bit more about the "next congress" meeting. Is it just a sub committee meeting on immigration? If we know who is participating, we (local folks) should definately mail/email/fax them our proposal.

Originally posted by Singhflying
Hi All,
This is my first e-mail but have been observing this forum for a while. I had sent the information about the law suit to Mark Dayton, (Senator from Minnesota). I received as response from him stating that the next congress is going to discuss immigration issues. He did mentione that he will keep in mind my suggestion and problems while going in for discussion.
Guess it will make sense for all of us to flood our respective congress man/woman with the law suit information and other relevant information. It will help them call the DOJ's bluff and hopefully come to some sane full conclusions and decisions.
Finally would like to thank Rajiv for his efforts as a lawyer and more importantly as a social worker to help the law abiding community of future immigrants.

Regards
Singhflying

Originally posted by operations

Rajiv, I wanted to get back with you regarding your class cert. stipulation proposal. We had two meetings over here to discuss your proposal. However, after review of your proposal it does not look like DOJ can agree to it.....Finally, when can we expect your list of proposed settlement topics? Best regards"

At this point, I intend to present our settlement request this week. If they do not agree, we will go full steam ahead with the litigation. I intend to hire one more law clerk to devote full attention to our case. Upon refusal of our proposal, we will expose the shamfeul results of these delays. We have cases of people suffering horribly because of CIS.

Take care all. Do not lose heart. We won the day we filed the lawsuit. Rest all is just effort.

I'm not surprised by CIS reaction. I wish we could get very good Media coverage of this issue/litigation to expose the shameful acts of CIS. Everyone one of us should contact our local media and discuss this issue, not to metion that we should continue our Congress lobbying efforts.

Even if CIS agrees to our settlement issues, we forgot about the yearly quota of EB based GCs. Also every year lot of immigrant visas were wasted due to backlog which cannot be used in later years (this was the basis of lot of litigation). So let's focus the settlement discussion on broader scope rather than restricting to I-551 temporary evidence of stamping on passport since theoretically everyone in the queue can't get GC immediately.

Re: Govt. has refused to cooperate on one issue at least

Originally posted by operations

This shows their true colors, let us fight until we win the suit.

Hi Hidden_Dragon,
Congress will be the full congress. I guess immigration is on the agenda for the next session and hence we need to make sure that ALL issues are discussed, not must illegal immigrants issue. [That itself is an important issue, am not trying to be little it.] If we are able to generate enough noise we will be able to have things going. Things like law suit will be a topic where in congress can ask DOJ as to why have they not implemented what was mandated by the congress.
Hope this information will be of use to you.

Regards
Singhflying

Re: conference call

Let us definitely have the conference call on Tuesday. Deciding the timing is a tricky thing because different people are from different timezones. Let me give a roll call.
THOSE WHO WANT TO TAKE PART IN THE CONFERENCE CALL, PLEASE REPLY, STATING YOUR AREA/TIMEZONE. It is preferred to have only those who have actively participated in this discussion, but we will try to accommodate as many as possible(upto 12 members)

PS: We are not going to dump I140. It's supporters will also make it to the conference call.

Dsatish,

Count me in. I am from Virginia and my area code is (703)

Re: Brain Storm Session

Rajiv,
How about having a brain storming conference call (with 10 selected members from this thread) to go over and if necessary refine our proposals to CIS ? I suggest that we do it on Tuesday noon. If we make it during the lunch time (12pm to 1pm) atleast those who can make it can dial in from their cell phones during lunch break. If you agree for the conference call, then let us pick 10 people based on their level of participation and diverse views.
Since you told that you will be sending the proposals this week, it's better to have this conference call within 2 days.

Count me in .... Area Code 773, Chicago, NSC

Senate Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security and Citizenship

Here are the Senate members who are involved with Immigration, Border Security and Citizenship issues:
Republican Members
Saxby Chambliss, GA (Chairman)
Charles E. Grassley, IA
Jon Kyl, AZ
Mike DeWine, OH
Jeff Sessions, AL
Larry Craig, ID
John Cornyn, TX
Democratic Members
Edward M. Kennedy, MA (Ranking Democrat)
Patrick J. Leahy, VT
Dianne Feinstein, CA
Charles E. Schumer, NY
Richard J. Durbin, IL
John Edwards, NC

I think it's a good idea to let them be aware of the immigration issues we are facing.

Originally posted by Singhflying
Hi Hidden_Dragon,
Congress will be the full congress. I guess immigration is on the agenda for the next session and hence we need to make sure that ALL issues are discussed, not must illegal immigrants issue. [That itself is an important issue, am not trying to be little it.] If we are able to generate enough noise we will be able to have things going. Things like law suit will be a topic where in congress can ask DOJ as to why have they not implemented what was mandated by the congress.
Hope this information will be of use to you.

Regards
Singhflying

some more things to consider

this settlement does not address the spouse. say even if they agree to issue the "interim card" in 6 months. how does one go home get married and bring the spouse back in a dignified and legal manner in a reasonable timeframe (30 days)

circumstances on which spouse can be brought here

1; working on ead (how to bring spouse??)
2. working on h1 (forced to work again for employer,subject to quota and pay fees)
3. recd "interim gc" if the cis agrees to this settlement. (so have a temp gc or whatever,how does one go bring spouse or get married etc??)

also lets think about another seperate citizenship law amendment request to congress as acknowledgment of of uscis inefficiency and to to make the "labor and slavery years" count for freedom. this would be the only acceptable date to count citizenship elegibility. is the delay our fault??

it may be even a good idea to suggest to them that a 10 years in complete legal status and approved "interim: gc can be considered date to file a citizenship application, which must be approved or denied in 30 calendar days. (not uscis calendar days)

if anyone can live here for 10 years legally,pay taxes,suffer the uscis for so long they should be made a honorary citizen. else it is better to remain illegal till jeb bush becomes president in 2008 and wait for amnesty then.

lets work now and fast. i just want to be FREE. is that too much to ask in the land of the FREE?

Originally posted by cinta
Source: The Congressional Reasearch Service (CRS)

Report: U.S. Immigration Policy on Permanent Admissions.

Processing backlogs, discussed later in this
report, also have inadvertently reduced the number of LPRs in FY2003. USCIS was
only able to process 161,579 of the potential 226,000 family-sponsored LPRs in
FY2003, and thus 64,421 LPR visas are rolling over to the FY2004 employment-based
categories.

SO the total number for EB in FY 2004 should be 140,000 + 64,421 > 200,00

Have you seen them??

Good reference, Cinta.
Backlog of family based GCs helps EB GCs. CIS is obligated to issue all the available employment based immigrant visa in the current fiscal year itself since EB immigrant visa cannot be rolled over.

Originally posted by Edison
Good reference, Cinta.
Backlog of family based GCs helps EB GCs. CIS is obligated to issue all the available employment based immigrant visa in the current fiscal year itself since EB immigrant visa cannot be rolled over.

Edison,

I lost the link but I have the report from the Congressional Research Service.
It is really funny the way they worked/work in 2002, 2003, 2004. The unused EB visas can roll back to family-based visas also, I think, as they claim?????

Bottom Line: They failed to allocate the available numbers for both the family-based and EB-based immigration.

To Rajiv

I just had the chance to look at this thread. The eight-point settlement plan seems good at face-value, but here are some issues that I see, from my experience with USCIS (I should warn all that I didn't have the time to go through all the 30 pages of this thread so some of these points may have been covered already -- my apologies in advance):

Item# 1. Premium processing of I-140 - This would place all those who don't opt the premium processing at a steep disadvantage. Moreover, it would mean that in order to get one's case processed within a reasonable timeframe (6 months is a little too much), companies and/or intending immigrants will be forced to pay this extra fees just to get their cases moving. At best, this lays the burden to get the benefit of proper work ethics on the incumbent, and, at worst, this amounts to a form of bribing! Premium processing, however, maybe used as a solutions for those in dire situations vis-a-vis maintaining legal status in the US.

Item #4. This item, although very attractive at face-value leaves a lot of loose ends. First of, why only a stamp on the passport? How about a conditional greencard for the amount of time specified? A conditional stamp may mean that a lot of people in other departments may have to be educated about its validity and the rights of those bearing this stamp on their passports. Additionally, foreign immigration and airline folks are also put under additional stress of evaluating the authenticity and rights of yet another document of passengers. While this maybe discarded as not a major issue, again, quite hastily, it should be remembered that it is not too difficult to run into situations where these are not recognized as bonafide entry documents.
Secondly, the caveat "may be revocable under security grounds" is a boon for the Ashcrofts and Rummy's of the Govt. We have to formally define what constitutes these security grounds: A name hit? FP hit? Some airline intelligence (or lack thereof) tip that suggests a 12 year old passenger poses a security threat? It just doesn't fly.

Personally, I think we should be fighting for only one thing: Accountability! Unless or until USCIS maybe held accountable (without invoking Mandamus Writ), there is no way we can get these guarantees in reality.

Here's a wish list of what things could actually improve the service somewhat:

1. Any settlement should also contain a clause or a way to hold USCIS responsible. One of the first ways to incorporate this will be to bring a law that demands unconditional, immediate refund of fees if the processing times take longer than Congressional limits. And, for every additional period thereafter, USCIS should pay an amount equal to the fees as penalty for not adjudicating a case.
2. Second, just like the IRS does, each officer handling the call center should provide his or her name and badge number to the caller. All calls must be recorded and must be digitally stored as an attachment to the applicant's electronic case history and should remain accessible through out the case duration.
3. Applicants must be provided with a secure, online webpage that would display detailed case status information including details on storage bins and the case officer's badge number. The security aspect maybe brought in by using a pin-number that the applicants may establish with the USCIS upon getting their case receipts.
4. An independent, bi-partisan committee aided by private NGO should audit the functioning of the USCIS annually.

Best regards and a sincere thanks to you for your continued support and the will to see this through!

Re: some more things to consider

Functionalalert,

Currently the only way to get spouse legally is to get married before your GC is approved, of course with the tempGC situation you will not know if approval of tempGC is the time limit, or if it is the actual GC. This is a very sticky situation for some, and since it is not under the current preivew, the only option is to marry before you start your 485 stage (just to be sure that you dont get certified before you get married), or hope that the V visa regulations are relaxed go here for more information

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109096

I dont think USCIS can be blamed for the marriage situation, we will need to push for better laws.

Originally posted by functionalalert
this settlement does not address the spouse. say even if they agree to issue the "interim card" in 6 months. how does one go home get married and bring the spouse back in a dignified and legal manner in a reasonable timeframe (30 days)

circumstances on which spouse can be brought here

1; working on ead (how to bring spouse??)
2. working on h1 (forced to work again for employer,subject to quota and pay fees)
3. recd "interim gc" if the cis agrees to this settlement. (so have a temp gc or whatever,how does one go bring spouse or get married etc??)

also lets think about another seperate citizenship law amendment request to congress as acknowledgment of of uscis inefficiency and to to make the "labor and slavery years" count for freedom. this would be the only acceptable date to count citizenship elegibility. is the delay our fault??

it may be even a good idea to suggest to them that a 10 years in complete legal status and approved "interim: gc can be considered date to file a citizenship application, which must be approved or denied in 30 calendar days. (not uscis calendar days)

if anyone can live here for 10 years legally,pay taxes,suffer the uscis for so long they should be made a honorary citizen. else it is better to remain illegal till jeb bush becomes president in 2008 and wait for amnesty then.

lets work now and fast. i just want to be FREE. is that too much to ask in the land of the FREE?

Hi,

A dummy mode question. If USCIS has only 140,000 EB visa per year, and based on some reports that there are 1.2M applications pending, it will take around 8-9 years to give out GCs just to the ones already in the queue. So does that mean that many will be living off tempGC (provided the solution is accepted) for quite a while before seeing the real GC??

Or is the 140,000 counted when USCIS receives the application (as in H1B cases), and thus we dont have the priority date issues that was around previously?

Originally posted by Edison
Good reference, Cinta.

Re: To Rajiv

Originally posted by WheresMahGreen
I just had the chance to look at this thread. The eight-point settlement plan seems good at face-value, but here are some issues that I see, from my experience with USCIS (I should warn all that I didn't have the time to go through all the 30 pages of this thread so some of these points may have been covered already -- my apologies in advance):

Item# 1. Premium processing of I-140 - This would place all those who don't opt the premium processing at a steep disadvantage. Moreover, it would mean that in order to get one's case processed within a reasonable timeframe (6 months is a little too much), companies and/or intending immigrants will be forced to pay this extra fees just to get their cases moving. At best, this lays the burden to get the benefit of proper work ethics on the incumbent, and, at worst, this amounts to a form of bribing! Premium processing, however, maybe used as a solutions for those in dire situations vis-a-vis maintaining legal status in the US.

Item #4. This item, although very attractive at face-value leaves a lot of loose ends. First of, why only a stamp on the passport? How about a conditional greencard for the amount of time specified? A conditional stamp may mean that a lot of people in other departments may have to be educated about its validity and the rights of those bearing this stamp on their passports. Additionally, foreign immigration and airline folks are also put under additional stress of evaluating the authenticity and rights of yet another document of passengers. While this maybe discarded as not a major issue, again, quite hastily, it should be remembered that it is not too difficult to run into situations where these are not recognized as bonafide entry documents.
Secondly, the caveat "may be revocable under security grounds" is a boon for the Ashcrofts and Rummy's of the Govt. We have to formally define what constitutes these security grounds: A name hit? FP hit? Some airline intelligence (or lack thereof) tip that suggests a 12 year old passenger poses a security threat? It just doesn't fly.

Personally, I think we should be fighting for only one thing: Accountability! Unless or until USCIS maybe held accountable (without invoking Mandamus Writ), there is no way we can get these guarantees in reality.

Here's a wish list of what things could actually improve the service somewhat:

1. Any settlement should also contain a clause or a way to hold USCIS responsible. One of the first ways to incorporate this will be to bring a law that demands unconditional, immediate refund of fees if the processing times take longer than Congressional limits. And, for every additional period thereafter, USCIS should pay an amount equal to the fees as penalty for not adjudicating a case.
2. Second, just like the IRS does, each officer handling the call center should provide his or her name and badge number to the caller. All calls must be recorded and must be digitally stored as an attachment to the applicant's electronic case history and should remain accessible through out the case duration.
3. Applicants must be provided with a secure, online webpage that would display detailed case status information including details on storage bins and the case officer's badge number. The security aspect maybe brought in by using a pin-number that the applicants may establish with the USCIS upon getting their case receipts.
4. An independent, bi-partisan committee aided by private NGO should audit the functioning of the USCIS annually.

Best regards and a sincere thanks to you for your continued support and the will to see this through!

Your points are valid, especially the conditional GC. I posted earlier similar posts...

IMPORTANT

I think we laid down a lot, but a couple of points need to be summarised:

1: How about using the term "GC or Permanent lawful resident" instead of any other term including "interim", "conditional", etc.
otherwise, we invite discrimination and accept the Security Checks and multiple FPs, which not only are the root cause but they are
also unconstitutional. Why our GCs should be any different than the ones six months ago, for example? After all we are not even
qualified for a DoD or any other Top Security Clearance (as we are not Citizens) and this one takes only a shorter amount of time
than an adjudication of a I-485.

2: If Citizenship problem (derivative of I-485 backlogs) is purely with Congress, what else can we ask for the people who have been
waiting for two years or more?

3: If there is no good will, let them know that they most probably violated the allocation of numbers of visas for the EB-I-485
category for the years 2001-2004. The number of 140,000 was never fully utilized per year! (see Asylee case also).

I guess the chance of settlement is dim.

CIS will not settle our case simply that now they could use our lawsuit to their benefit. They could go to congress and say, “ See, they are suing us, we need more money, more resource” CIS management wants some sort of publicity of the issue to bring them more resources, which is fine and the same goal as ours.

However, I just wish we could bring enough publicity also to reveal other reasons of the issue: their mismanagement: lack of basic service standard, lack of communications, lack of commitment etc.