Can we plan on traveling

dalmazan

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My wife's GC was approved last week and we received the Welcome Letter on Saturday. We need to travel in July and I want to book our flights this week. Is it too much of a risk to book having not received the GC in the mail yet?

Do you think I'll recieve it by July? If not, can I go to the USCIS and get the passport stamped?

Please let me know your experiences with this.

Thanks

Hi,

My wife's GC was approved last week and we received the Welcome Letter on Saturday. We need to travel in July and I want to book our flights this week. Is it too much of a risk to book having not received the GC in the mail yet?

Do you think I'll recieve it by July? If not, can I go to the USCIS and get the passport stamped?

Please let me know your experiences with this.

Thanks

You can never be too sure with USCIS but I don't see why you can't go ahead and book your tickets.
Per the USCIS website, "You should also call customer service if any of the following occur:
You received your welcome notice or card, but you believe there is an error.
It has been more than 30 days since you became a permanent resident, and you have not received your welcome notice.
It has been more than 30 days since you received your welcome notice but you have not received your new card."

I would make an infopass appointment on the 31st day in addition to calling customer service if you don't receive it and go to the local office.

I Thought the green card was just for re-entry and following the interview you were free to leave the country? Someone tell me if this is wrong as i was planning on travelling after my interview next month????

I Thought the green card was just for re-entry and following the interview you were free to leave the country? Someone tell me if this is wrong as i was planning on travelling after my interview next month????
Correct, you are free to leave the USA at any time. However I assume you want to return to the USA as well, which you will need your Green Card for.

Most likely if you already have the Welcome Letter, it will show up well before July.

Correct, you are free to leave the USA at any time. However I assume you want to return to the USA as well, which you will need your Green Card for.

Most likely if you already have the Welcome Letter, it will show up well before July.

Thanks i was just worried that leaving would abandon the AOS but i suppose that once i have had the interview i have completed the process and just need the card.

The plan is to leave after the interview, i need to sell my house in the UK which has been dormant for 6 months and my wife will betravelling to the UK to meet up with me in a few months and she would bring with her the green card for me to return.

Am i right in thinking this is all ok? (as long as the GC has arrived for her to bring)

I do not think they will ask you for the GC before leaving the country... I would keep my I-94 with me though =P

They will ask you for it (the GC) when you come back... or an I-131

Thanks i was just worried that leaving would abandon the AOS but i suppose that once i have had the interview i have completed the process and just need the card.

The plan is to leave after the interview, i need to sell my house in the UK which has been dormant for 6 months and my wife will betravelling to the UK to meet up with me in a few months and she would bring with her the green card for me to return.

Am i right in thinking this is all ok? (as long as the GC has arrived for her to bring)

from what I notice u are planning, it's like standing on an iceberg, floating in mid-ocean not knowing when u will be rescued. Your interview is not done yet, mr confused. Make cancellable bookings :). Or beg and plead the IO for I551 stamp on ur pp during the interview, they still do that at random District offices. Then you can leave the US with the peace of mind knowing u won't be blocked from re-entering.

PS: From what I recall, the front desk Airlines crew actually WANTS TO SEE your green card while checking in. I have always been asked " do you have a GC??? right around the time I did my check-in" .You might not be even allowed on your flight, if they see a "cancelled visa" (without prejudice) and no green card in your hand. What do you think, Dr LHA?

Last edited by a moderator:
They will indeed ask for a Visa to the US, or a Green Card... before checking in to travel to the USA.

But they will not ask for either, when flying AWAY from the USA.

Now, he is from UK right? that means he is in the Visa Waiver program... so who knows what would happen then? :confused:

But... his wife should come to the UK after him, with the GC in hand to rescue him... or something :)

I do not think they will ask you for the GC before leaving the country.

when you purchase an international travel ticket FROM the usa you have to punch in your gc#. the people at the counter and at the gate ask to see your passport and gc to verify the number.

From what airline? I am a American Airlines AAdvantage Platinum member (meaning, I fly a lot) and they never ask for any number, other than my credit card number. When buying tickets... either online, at a ticket counter or over the phone...

I have bought tickets to Mexico, Venezuela, and France.

From what airline? I am a American Airlines AAdvantage Platinum member (meaning, I fly a lot) and they never ask for any number, other than my credit card number. When buying tickets... either online, at a ticket counter or over the phone...

I have bought tickets to Mexico, Venezuela, and France.

I agree, i fly with either BMI or Virgin and they usually just take out my I-94, im guessing that after the interview i wont have an I 94 so im not sure what they will do. I know they cant stop me from flying out of the country.

As long as leaving after the interview doesnt abandon my AOS then im not too concerned.

thanks for your help

I thought it was a relevant question. Does the officer take the I-131 document after the interview? My guess would be no. So, can one travel on AP documents after the interview?

Thanks

I do not think there is a reason to take your Advance Parole document. You already paid for it :p

Plus USCIS can not guarantee that you will receive your GC any time soon. So you would probably need it.

Outside of the United States

I was wondering - on the I-131 form - Part 2.e says - "I am Outside of the United States and am applying for Advance Parole Document"

What is this and who can use this option?

Thanks.

I'm afraid I could end up in the same situation. I am planning an August vacation and intend to travel on my valid H-1B visa (did not apply for AP). I didn't even think that the interview could be before then. I just filed a week ago, but if my application does proceed towards an interview before August, would it be best for me to try to reschedule it until after I come back? I'm in no hurry to finish it early.

I'm also from a visa waiver country so I won't have any trouble physically entering, but don't want to jeopardize my status by entering this way. I suppose I could also try to get the I551 stamp during the interview. Thanks for all the suggestions here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid I could end up in the same situation. I am planning an August vacation and intend to travel on my valid H-1B visa (did not apply for AP). I didn't even think that the interview could be before then. I just filed a week ago, but if my application does proceed towards an interview before August, would it be best for me to try to reschedule it until after I come back? I'm in no hurry to finish it early.
My advice would be to change your plans, not your interview. Although some people have had luck rescheduling interviews, some others have had their AOS denied because they didn't show up to the interview that they rescheduled. Not worth the risk IMHO.

I'm also from a visa waiver country so I won't have any trouble physically entering, but don't want to jeopardize my status by entering this way.
Yes, that would be an incredibly stupid thing to do. Most likely you would have trouble entering this way anyway - they do check your name against their database when you enter after all. Having pending AOS and entering on Visa Waiver would probably result in your deportation. Coming from a visa waiver country doesn't give you the right to enter the USA.

I suppose I could also try to get the I551 stamp during the interview. Thanks for all the suggestions here.
It certainly doesn't hurt to ask.