Can someone help me - j1-h1b transfer

Helz1987

Hello.
I am need of some help, could someone please help me tranfer my visa?

Here's my story/info....

I am from England but when I was 18 (I am now 21) I moved to LA on a F1 visa. I was studying at school for 18 months but then dropped out because the school was bad - it has now been closed. The correct procedures were taken to cancel my visa, however, my f1 visa was not due to expire until 2010.
I was home in England for around a year, but now I am back in the States in Florida Keys on an Internship for a year.
Right now I have a J1 visa that will expire in March 2009, I love it here and do not want to leave. I was hoping someone could explain to me the process of transferring my visa to a H1B visa - my boss explained to me that this is what I need to stay, and is willing to help me.
I am looking for some general info on the process, but I was also hoping to find out when I should start apply? How much will it cost? Would I have to move home while this is happening etc?

Thanks in advance!

Helen

Look at your visa,if your J1 visa says that section 212(e) applies that means you have to return to your country 2 yrs before you return. In that case you have toapply for waiver of the 212(e) which has to be included with your H1 application

my visa dos not say anything about a 212e??? Ive been told that it will cost around $5000 and it is unlikely that I will get a H1B? Do you know if this is true?

Application fee alone is around $2000. If you use lawyers, it might be $5000 in total.
Anyway, company is supposed to pay for these fee because they are the sponsor.

You may get into lottery if there are too many applications, and in that case, it all depends on your luck. In case that you are not selected by lottery, you may get back application fee(at least it was how it worked last year, but not sure for this year), but I don't believe lawyer fee will be refunded.

Most probably you need at least bachelor degree in the field you are applying H1 for.

The earliest you can apply is April 1 09 unless your sponsor is university or non profit institute.

Last edited by a moderator: