Can she really be deported?!!

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/329927/4/Missouri-Woman-Forced-to-Deport-Herself

Experts, please, tell: is it possible to help this nice young lady to avoid deportation?

Give me a break! Are you really buying into this spin? She's not being deported.

The parents have been here for 17 years in lawful nonimmigrant status running a business "Trenton's Lakeview Motor Lodge and Restaurant". That means they have most likely been on E-2 treaty investor visas. She is merely aging out of dependent status. She was recently a student and it is unclear why she did not apply for a change of status to that of a student rather than depart if she perhaps wanted to stay here and continue her studies (MFA's are available in the U.S. but she has stopped at the BFA level). Students nearing graduation (or like her--one who has just graduated) can often parlay their education into OPT and then a non-immigrant visa and then an employment based immigrant visa (some might also happen to marry a USC and switch over to a family based (immediate relative) immigrant adjustment or remain while waiting for another family based category to become "current").

Notice that I said "depArt" not "depOrt".

Also, what is so horrible about spending time in the U.K. in your early 20's? She speaks basically the same language already and has family to stay with who will help her adjust and if she has the grades and wanted to continue her education there are schools there too and she is a UK citizen so won't have to be a "foreign student on a visa". PLUS as a UK citizen she can freely come visit her parents and sister and won't even need a visa for a trip of up to 90 days at a time. Her parents have been running a business for nearly 2 decades so money for a few trips a year is probably not an issue.

And if she is a good dancer, what's wrong with the west end of London as a place to audition?

What is the point of your post or that article? It's premise and title are bogus exaggerations. You bought into the propaganda message hook, line, and sinker!

Last edited by a moderator:

Give me a break! Are you really buying into this spin? She's not being deported.

The parents have been here for 17 years in lawful nonimmigrant status running a restaurant/hotel (lodge?). That means they have most likely been on E-2 treaty investor visas. She is merely aging out of dependent status. She is allegedly a student and it is unclear why she did not apply for a change of status to that of a student rather than depart if she really wanted to stay here and complete her studies. Students can often parlay that into OPT and then an H1-B and then an employment based immigrant visa (some might also happen to marry a USC and switch over to a family based immigrant adjustment or remain while waiting for another family based category to become "current").

Also, what is so horrible about spending time in the U.K. in your early 20's? She speaks basically the same language already and has family to stay with who will help her adjust and if she has the grades the are schools there too and she is a UK citizen so won't have to be a "foreign student on a visa". PLUS as a UK citizen she can freely come visit her parents and sister and won't even need a visa for a trip of up to 90 days at a time. Her parents have been running a business for nearly 2 decades so money for a few trips a year is probably not an issue.

What is the point of your post or that article? It's premise and titled are bogus. You bought into the propaganda message hook, line, and sinker!
Thanks, BigJoe, for your explanation. I was very surprised reading through those Missouri news about the immigration problem of this girl. Much more complicated cases have been resolved positively... Indeed, you are right - even if she cannot find job right now, which will give her H1B visa, and is not ready to get married, she can continue her studies and be on F1 visa ( I have a student from S. Korea in the very similar situation, his parents got GCs when he had already turned 21. He applied for MS and then PhD program, and in a month he will graduate and will start job with OPT in a big electronics company in California).

The parents have been here for 17 years in lawful nonimmigrant status running a restaurant/hotel (lodge?). That means they have most likely been on E-2 treaty investor visas. She is merely aging out of dependent status. She is allegedly a student and it is unclear why she did not apply for a change of status to that of a student rather than depart if she really wanted to stay here and complete her studies. Students can often parlay that into OPT and then an H1-B and then an employment based immigrant visa (some might also happen to marry a USC and switch over to a family based immigrant adjustment or remain while waiting for another family based category to become "current").

Also, what is so horrible about spending time in the U.K. in your early 20's? She speaks basically the same language already and has family to stay with who will help her adjust and if she has the grades the are schools there too and she is a UK citizen so won't have to be a "foreign student on a visa". PLUS as a UK citizen she can freely come visit her parents and sister and won't even need a visa for a trip of up to 90 days at a time. Her parents have been running a business for nearly 2 decades so money for a few trips a year is probably not an issue.

What is the point of your post or that article? It's premise and titled are bogus. You bought into the propaganda message hook, line, and sinker!
Thanks, BigJoe, for your explanation. I was very surprised reading through those Missouri news about the immigration problem of this girl. Much more complicated cases have been resolved positively... Indeed, you are right - even if she cannot find job right now, which will give her H1B visa, and is not ready to get married, she can continue her studies and be on F1 visa ( I have a student from S. Korea in the very similar situation, his parents got GCs when he had already turned 21. He applied for MS and then PhD program, and in a month he will graduate and will start job with OPT in a big electronics company in California, and this Company typically applies for H1B & GCs for employees).

She will be fine. She completed her degree, her grandparent filed a petition for her and her parents in 2003, she speaks English and has family in the UK, which is not an impoverished or war-torn country.

She'll get her green card sometime next year, and she'll probably better off from the experience of living in her homeland for a couple years. Maybe she won't even want to come back to the US!