• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Can interview be done in non-english?

TommyEdo

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My wife who won the lottery (2008AS8xxx) is worried that her english will not be sufficient to conduct the interview. Can I accompany her during the interview?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sorry, what I meant was. Can she do the interview in Indonesian? And if not, can someone, like me, accompany her?

the consular officer usually speaks the language of the country where he works.

Spouses not applying for a visa usually cannot accompany the principal winner to the interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lucy,

Although my wife is the winner, in actuality I will be also applying for the lottery visa piggybacking hers. Or is it not? So in this case, can I accompany her?

Thanks for your kind effort in replying.

in that case you MUST be present at the interview if you want your visa. Or were you planning to do AOS after she gets her immigrant visa?

please elaborate on your situation.

Hi Lucy,

Since she won the lottery, as her spouse I will of course be entitled to apply for the GC visa, as also my children. Her English is not good, and she asked whether the interview could be conducted in our native language. Or if it really has to be in English, whether I could accompany her during interview? None of us will do AOS since we are presently in Indonesia.

Btw, I have some more questions. Can any city in the US become a point of entry to activate my GC if it is approved? After arriving in the US, what and where should we do first in terms of completing our status. I know that we should apply for Social Security, credit card. Anything else?

Thanks in anticipation.

Tommy
2008AS8xxx

since you are both doing consular processing, you both must be present at the interview. Children must be present as well.

I hope you filled out forms DS-230 for ALL of you.

The interview does not need to be in English.

Can any city in the US become a point of entry to activate my GC if it is approved?
you don't "activate" your GC. You get an immigrant visa at the consulate, and if and when you enter the US with it, you will become a US resident as soon as the officer at the point of entry processes you.
After arriving in the US, what and where should we do first in terms of completing our status.
Your status will be complete as soon as the officer endorses your passports. SSN has nothing to do with the immigration or your status. You need to get it, however.

Credit cards are not a must, but it's very convenient to have them.
I'd also advise a state ID.

Thanks alot Lucy.

You've been a great help. May I know whether you're also a winner?

If yes,good luck to you and hope your life will be a swell in the US.

We were once in Seattle on vacation and my wife wife seems to like it, so we will try our luck there first unless fate will bring us to another place.

No, I adjusted my status through my USC husband, but my parents won in 2004, so I have been active in DV community ever since. :)

A lot of people like Seattle, and it seems like a good place for the new immigrants.