Can I work more than one Employer with EAD

green04

Registered Users (C)
I have my I-485 pening with NSC (I-140 approved). Currently I am in AOS status and using EAD for work.

Can I get pay checks from more than one employer? (a)From the present employer and b) the middleman who is between the client and my employer)

green04 said:
Can I get pay checks from more than one employer? (a)From the present employer and b) the middleman who is between the client and my employer)

Sure, you can be employed by anyone, in any job.

confirming..... if i'm on H1 (140/485 pending) i cannot use EAD for a part time evening job as that impacts my H1 right?

danmagaji said:
confirming..... if i'm on H1 (140/485 pending) i cannot use EAD for a part time evening job as that impacts my H1 right?

That's correct. Your H1 visa would be automatically voided, and your H1 status would cease.

Sorry for the repeat question but I want to clearify one related doubt.

I am on H1 and currently employed at the H1 sponsoring organization. I have recently got my EAD. I want to start an extra freelancing job on EAD status (without quiting my current job).

My question is - Do I need to inform my current HR and ask them to change my status from H1 to EAD. Can I stay on H1 and still do a part-time (or freelancing) job on EAD?

Thanks in advance.

from what i just learnt, EAD voids H1 under any circumstance. So for the part time job, you will need another H1 to remain in H1 status.
If you do decide to use EAD, advisable to involve HR/lawyer.

maheshcr said:
Does CIS need to be notified if working on multiple jobs?
Mahesh

Here is my understanding of the process - Working on EAD status definately invalidates H1. Once on EAD you can work for as many employers as you wan't on W2/1099 basis - no need to inform INS about other jobs - besides the primary one (based on which your GC application is filed). You can even quit your original job - after filing AC21 - the new job ofcourse has to be in line with requirements of AC21.

Experts please correct me if I am wrong...

Thanks

This raises another question -

If someone does not do any other extra job (other than his primary job), can he still stay on H1B status?

I mean to ask - what causes H1B to invalidate -
1) approval of EAD or
2) collecting payments from some other source (other than your primary job)

cog said:
I mean to ask - what causes H1B to invalidate -
1) approval of EAD or
2) collecting payments from some other source (other than your primary job)

Neither. Working at another job invalidates the H-1B.

Or working for your current employer without filing for H1B extension, if it has expired.

As long as you keep your H1B status alive by applying for extensions (even beyond 6 years), you will be considered to be on non-immigrant visa even if you have an approved and valid EAD.