Can I use AC21 multiple times?

junk12345

Registered Users (C)
I have applied I485 at CSC in Jan, 2002. Moved to a similar job after 180 days and informed INS about my move using ac21. I want to move now to another similar job.

Do you know any cases who changed employers 2 times using AC21 after I485 was pending > 180 days? Do see any risk in that process?

I have applied I485 at CSC in Jan, 2002. Moved to a similar job after 180 days and informed INS about my move using ac21. I want to move now to another similar job.
--- Move and again update the BCIS with new employer letter before your I-485 gets approved

Thanks for your reply.

My current attorney suggested me to not to move as it may (2nd notification to INS about 2nd move) trigger a transfer of my application to local center for an interview due to the confusion of so many moves. Is it true?

Anyone in the same status? Anyone moved more then once?

My current attorney suggested me to not to move as it may (2nd notification to INS about 2nd move) trigger a transfer of my application to local center for an interview due to the confusion of so many moves. Is it true?
--- No it is NOT true that sending second letter will make them to send the file to local BCIS office for Interview, local interview is for randomly selected cases or if some issues only 5% files are sent for interview. Even if the file is sent for interview what is the problem? Can your layer give you guarantee that your file (as it is) will NOT be sent to local BCIS office?

there are very good chances that you might get an interview call and as long as everything is under the law shouldn't be any problem.....as per the law it is clear you can change the job with NO REASON (neither law nor guidleines specify any conditions) as long as the other two conditions are met
1. >180 days
2. job is same or simmilar

and I will personaly give preferance to a good job then to avoid the interview ..... but that is me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your comments.

>>there are very good chances that you might get an interview call

Could you please elabrate the reason that you found for the interview?

>>there are very good chances that you might get an interview call >>>

----- I dont think that one can tell that you have good chaces for interview or not as every case is diffrent

1 With out any reason they can transfer the I-485 file to local BCIS office, last year many files were transferred to Baltimore local office to give them some extra work
2 any I-94 issues
3 any arrest records with similar name to you
4 any hit from FBI data
5 245(i) and 245(k) cases may be sent for Interview but it is not the rule that they will send all 245(i) to local office or for interview.
6 any bad report from IRS for you not paying taxes
There are many reasons and no one can stop sending any file for interview. Why are you worried for interview? They just ask few general questions, take your I-94, EAD and if approved you get the temporary stamp of GC in your passport same day

Yes you can!

Junk12345,

There is no indication of how many times you are eligible to use the AC21 portability. I once asked the same question in Murthy Forum and one of their attorneys replied(you can the find the postings in their archives) - that you can use AC21 multiple number of times provided you meet the 2 criteria,

- past 180 days of 485 filing
- same or similar job description

-MrCoolz

Thanks a bunch MrCoolz for your comments. I went to murthy.com and found 2-3 postings regarding job change in their archive. Her ansers were different for same questions. See the following post.

Question : Can one change multiple jobs using AC21 after having completed 6 months into the I-485 with one"s sponsoring employer ?

Answer : Without any AC21 regulations, one is not clear when the BCIS will actually approve the I-485 even with only one change in employers. With each additional change in employers there is an added risk of a potential problem or RFE by the BCIS. Of course, all of the jobs must be considered the "same or similar" to be eligible for porting under AC21 since, if the BCIS issues an RFE, one should be able to demonstrate eligibility under the law.

Please let me know if you are confortable with my question....

Did you change your employer 2 times using AC21? If yes what are the steps or documents did you use to notify BCIS?

Last edited by a moderator:
junk12345,

No! I was contemplating change - but since I wasnt sure that even the change would provide some stability - I thought I'd rather stay put in my current job and be on it as long as it goes. So right now I am taking one day at a time.

Hope this answers your question.

-MrCoolz

Actually I think if we don't need to notify BCIS immediately after the job change, but wait for RFE. BCIS will not know how many times you have changed job as RFE just require infomration for current job. I don't think BCIS will keep tracking your job history if you don't tell them.

I am also thinking about a 2nd change and I am not sure if it is the right thing to do in light of the latest post on immigration-law.com about multiple job changes. Can anyone give me more info?