Can I Travel On G C.....help

politicalasylum

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

Recently I got the card from the political asylum case. But now, will I be able to travel to the home country and come back. I am really confused on this and need u guys suggestions. I've checked with the attorney Says, cant go back to the home country unless citizen . I didn't believe it. Need some ways.

Hi Guys,

Recently I got the card from the political asylum case. But now, will I be able to travel to the home country and come back. I am really confused on this and need u guys suggestions. I've checked with the attorney Says, cant go back to the home country unless citizen . I didn't believe it. Need some ways.

Search for this topic on this forum and you will find your answers. Also check the Fact Sheet that was released by USCIS and make your own judgement.

i do not think you will have any problems because i am in the same situation and also one of my friend too and hes just went back home the other day and coming back first week of april..so i am going to wait and see and after he comes i will probably go too..plus you have a green card..you are a permenant resident..even in the uscis web site after obtaining the green card you are set!the only thing that is left to do is the citizenship interwiev..good luck man and dont be afraid..where are you from originally?

Hi Guys,

Whats your TIMELINE?

*** And yes, as MGTgrl said, check the USCIS FACT SHEET for ex-asylees travel to Country of Persecution... and decide yourself...
READ IT and judge... http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/AsylumTravel122706FS.pdf

*** If you asylum was granted less than 5 or 4 years ago, going back to COP would look kind of suspicious... Not that maybe your COP situation changed, but still looks suspicious... for the citizenship interview... because for the POE admission doesnt really matter, those IO are there to verify that you have the proper documentation to enter the country....

Last edited by a moderator:
I visit COP on December as an AS8 GC Holder, not a problem at all.
I was only asked what do I do in the USA?
However, as other people said, it is up to you, you will NEVER find a written answer for that question.
Good luck...

However, as other people said, it is up to you, you will NEVER find a written answer for that question.
Good luck...

But don't forget that there is a big difference between AS6 and AS8! You probably won't have a problem compare to a AS6

Fasaavedra:
There is a fact sheet that has information regarding going back to COP as Permanent Resident throu asylum.
Haven't you read it yet?

Cordova posted it above. That is written information about goi back to COP.

i do not think you will have any problems because i am in the same situation and also one of my friend too and hes just went back home the other day and coming back first week of april..so i am going to wait and see and after he comes i will probably go too..plus you have a green card..you are a permenant resident..even in the uscis web site after obtaining the green card you are set!the only thing that is left to do is the citizenship interwiev..good luck man and dont be afraid..where are you from originally?
plzz let me know the update, Hopefully i'll PM u the 2nd week of april n see how u r friend arrived. Originally frm india (Hyd).

Good luck...
Do u have same political asylum case n which country did u go ?

COLOMBIAN_PR and Politicalasylum

COLOMBIAN_PR : honestly, im not afraid about Fact Sheet. I have not lie to nobody in the US Immigration . I did never faced a inmigration officer nor a judge and request protection. Is as simply as my dad came to US on 2000 and claimed asylum, i dont even know what kind of asylum he did ask for.
So If I ever get questioned at POE i will tell the IO that I dont even know who was persecuting me.... What do you think the IO will do?? Refer me to a court because somebody was harrasing my dad ??
Please do not DELIVER that NEGATIVISM to others.

politicalasylum: Im from Colombia. I have no idea what type of asylum my dad claimed for. Sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you. I'm so glad you have no fear. That way you can come and go to COP as much as you want.

Enjoy your trips.

thanks COLOMBIAN_PR, since the thread I posted last week , I noticed you wishes me the best.....very HONEST words coming from you.
Sorry you cannot visit COP. You will have your chance too.

To fasaavedra

Why not? I'm a permanent resident since 2004. before you, I suppose. And how do you know I have not been back home?

:confused:

Travel with GC

I have my green card under AS8. Ad I have my national passport that hasn't expire.My qustion is can I go back to my original counrty for short visit??
please give some advice on this.
Email me @: tilak1218@gmail.com

Thanks in advance!

I have my green card under AS8. Ad I have my national passport that hasn't expire.My qustion is can I go back to my original counrty for short visit??
please give some advice on this.
Email me @: tilak1218@gmail.com

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I dont think you should go back this fast unless the situation has changed in your COP. I asked this question to an officer when i entered U.S earlier today and his response was that as long it has been lot of time since you won asylum..its ok..or the situation has changed or your situation has changed meaning you dont fear persecution..Otherwise you are raising red flags.

When I showed him my NP, he asked me how I got my NP? I told him that the government has changed so thast why.

Search for this topic on this forum and you will find your answers. Also check the Fact Sheet that was released by USCIS and make your own judgement.

Ohhh I m very happy for you it has been a long time I did not check the forum.
congrat for ur GC and all my best for the next big step.

Ohhh I m very happy for you it has been a long time I did not check the forum.
congrat for ur GC and all my best for the next big step.

Thanks King27! I appreciate it. How is your case? You don't have a timeline so I couldn't see where you are at this time.

Do I have to show GC on COP Immigration before leaving for US?

Good luck...

Hello There,

Do you know if you can show your GC IN your Cop before you went back for US? I heard it's dangerous since they will find out you were seeking for an asylum in US. if not, do you have any advice what to do? don't they need to see something from you like a US visa, RTD, GC or US passport? Thank you..