Can I take a break with EAD renewal?

irainesan

Registered Users (C)
I received EAD last year and got SSN using that

1) I have never used my EAD and not planning to use it in near future. My EAD expires in september 2008. Can I renew it after jun 2009. In other words, is it allowed to take a break with EAD like this?
2) If I decide not to renew my EAD, can I still continue to use my SSN? (Social security number)

I received EAD last year and got SSN using that

1) I have never used my EAD and not planning to use it in near future. My EAD expires in september 2008. Can I renew it after jun 2009. In other words, is it allowed to take a break with EAD like this?
2) If I decide not to renew my EAD, can I still continue to use my SSN? (Social security number)

Yes, EAD is an optional and you can renew when ever you want or not at all if not using it.
Your SS # is unique to you and you can use it even after expiration of your EAD. If for any reason you want to do anything with it at social security office (e.g fix name on card, as hapened to my wife), the person their will ask to see the EAD and if it is expired, he will not return the card back to you. So, use it any where away from SS office.

Yes, EAD is an optional and you can renew when ever you want or not at all if not using it.QUOTE]
Thank you for your response, one more follow up question
If I renew my EAD 1 year after its expiration, how long will it take for me to get my renewal card?

How to apply for EAD/AP online

Hi ,

I needed help in applying EAD/AP myself . If anyone has done that can you please let me know how to apply it online .

Thanks
Shreyas

Hi ,

I needed help in applying EAD/AP myself . If anyone has done that can you please let me know how to apply it online .

Thanks
Shreyas

Go to the web site and follow the instructions. mainly you put your informations: name, DOB, I-94 number or A#, previous EADs information ...etc. There is a stickey thread in this forum which may help you too.