Can I sue my company?

Ram_Frm_RIC

Registered Users (C)
Recently I got my GC thru CP. For CP my company provided me with an employment offer letter which was addressed to Homeland Secutiry Dept. Apart from other things that letter mentioned that they will pay me X$ annually. But in reality they are paying me X - 10K per year.

Is this something I can use to sue my company?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Ram_Frm_RIC said:
Apart from other things that letter mentioned that they will pay me X$ annually. But in reality they are paying me X - 10K per year. Is this something I can use to sue my company?

You can sue your company for almost anything. I'd be very skeptical that any good would come of it. Give it a few weeks, and start looking for a new job - that'll be far more profitable.

Thanks for your suggestion... I am thankful for getting my GC, and I am looking for a job as well.
But you didn't answer my question, can I sue my company?

kewlsans said:
Be thankful you got your GC through that comapny and just look out for a different job.

TheRealCanadian said:
You can sue your company for almost anything. I'd be very skeptical that any good would come of it. Give it a few weeks, and start looking for a new job - that'll be far more profitable.

Isn't it illegal what my company is doing? Why do you say nothing good will come out? If I can prove I am not getting paid what I was promised can't INS do something? Any feedback is appreciated.

Ram_Frm_RIC said:

You can sue.

Once you sue, you will immediately be terminated by your employer. Informing USCIS might not be a good idea, because your employer was not fulfilling the terms of your Green Card. It probably won't be fatal, but it'll certainly be a headache. And then, even if you win, you'll get at most $10k divided by how long you were employed, or one month. So $1000.

I guarantee this entire process will cost several times that much in costs and lost income. If you want to try, go ahead. See if you can find an attorney who will take your case on a continency basis. If no one is willing, that should be a good clue to you as to your chances for success.

double edge sword:lawsuit

sure, you can do that but the thing is if it is proven that this is a violation of contract this might also put your GC in question, it was not done in "good faith" and maybe just may be you will be also affected in the process.

think of it a thousand times, do what you feel is the best that will protect your interest. good luck

You can....but there is no guarantee that you will benefit from the law suit.If i were you,I would stay away from legal hassles.
Ram_Frm_RIC said:
Thanks for your suggestion... I am thankful for getting my GC, and I am looking for a job as well.

You are one lucky guy. You got an easy excuse to justify leaving the employer soon after GC. Keep these pay stubs as proof of injustice from the sponsoring employer and happily go after job hunting. You don't need to worry about being questioned at citizenship time. You got a good valid reason to change job soon after GC.

Ram_Frm_RIC said:
Isn't it illegal what my company is doing? Why do you say nothing good will come out? If I can prove I am not getting paid what I was promised can't INS do something? Any feedback is appreciated.

yes, cis will conclude that the job offer your company promised was not bone fide. thus your green card should not have been approved at the first place. so be careful!!!

So what I am hearing is "better not to sue" and "move on with other job".... (I hear some other crap like jis thali me khaya... jisane tuze sahara diya etc. ). My next question is:

Is there a way I can anonymously report this fraud to DOL?

Ram_Frm_RIC said:
So what I am hearing is "better not to sue" and "move on with other job".... (I hear some other crap like jis thali me khaya... jisane tuze sahara diya etc. ). My next question is:

Is there a way I can anonymously report this fraud to DOL?
You know, in no uncertain terms people expressed their opinions that it is going to be far worse for you than for your employer. If your company is going to be investigated, your case and others,maybe, will be the reason for any fines that the company may incur. The information about your salary will become known to the DOL anyway. You might end up losing your permanent residency status. If you do not care, go ahead and report it anonymously or otherwise. Please keep the board posted...

Pal, you can do whatever you want, this is a free country. Also it doesn't make sense to sue right away. You have only completed 2-3 months with them. If the employer said that they would pay you X$/year, then have you completed one year with them. I don't think they would have said that they would pay you X$/year in 12 equal monthly installments. If they have said that then you have every right to sue after first month, if they haven't you will be in a soup because they may show a plan to pay you a big bonus during christmas time or give you a raise after 6 months.

Also since you are in US and sue is a big word it doesn' mean that everybody who sues make big bucks out of it. If you approach any attorney, first advice you are going to get is "Have you talked to your employer to resolve this?". Again if you haven't, then that is the first step. Just be careful ke sue karne ke chakkar mein tera su su na nikal jaaye.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am wondering why are you employer can't sue you after reading your post.

did your expenses ( like traveling to US, GC expense, Medical Insurance etc ) is included in your salary, what about other financial benefits.

I think you are employer should be in good position to sue you.

because your intention does not look good for permanent job.

because salary factor depends on company economics, it may even increase or decrease depening upon financial situation of compay.

hope your employer will not sue you for GC fraud.

Your signature suggests that you are in EB2 category... but I really doubt. FYI, YOU and YOU ARE does not mean the same thing.... So before preaching about some legal matters go get some English 101 classes.

blinkingstar said:
I am wondering why are you employer can't sue you after reading your post.

did your expenses ( like traveling to US, GC expense, Medical Insurance etc ) is included in your salary, what about other financial benefits.

I think you are employer should be in good position to sue you.

because your intention does not look good for permanent job.

because salary factor depends on company economics, it may even increase or decrease depening upon financial situation of compay.

hope your employer will not sue you for GC fraud.

Before I go talk to a lawyer I was trying to get a feel on this matter. As you, and almost everybody else here, are suggesting that sueing won't be a good idea... I most certainly won't sue. And I like your point on bonus or raise.

Anyway, I should have mentioned this earlier... I was not thinking of sueing my company to benefit financially but more towards putting them out of business. I was thinking more like.. if I sue will they be added to blacklist by DOL etc.

Everybody...thanks for your suggestions!

PremChopra said:
Pal, you can do whatever you want, this is a free country. Also it doesn't make sense to sue right away. You have only completed 2-3 months with them. If the employer said that they would pay you X$/year, then have you completed one year with them. I don't think they would have said that they would pay you X$/year in 12 equal monthly installments. If they have said that then you have every right to sue after first month, if they haven't you will be in a soup because they may show a plan to pay you a big bonus during christmas time or give you a raise after 6 months.

Also since you are in US and sue is a big word it doesn' mean that everybody who sues make big bucks out of it. If you approach any attorney, first advice you are going to get is "Have you talked to your employer to resolve this?". Again if you haven't, then that is the first step. Just be careful ke sue karne ke chakkar mein tera su su na nikal jaaye.

Ram_Frm_RIC said:
Anyway, I should have mentioned this earlier... I was not thinking of sueing my company to benefit financially but more towards putting them out of business. I was thinking more like.. if I sue will they be added to blacklist by DOL etc.

Everybody...thanks for your suggestions!

Tu Ram hai ya Ravan?? Badal de apna Naam!!! Nahi to log, Ram pe bhi bharosa karana schod denge!!!

(English)
Change your name from Ram(God) to Ravan(Evil). Otherwise people won't beleive in Ram anymore

Mai ye aapni immigrationalportal wali kaalyug ki wanar-sena lekar is Lankahari company per dhaba bolane ke liye taiyar hoo.... muze to lag raha hai ki tu Ravan ki sena ka koi kutil jasus hai jo hamare is pawitra kaam me badha lana ki chesta kar raha hai.... :D
Take it easy... mera naam Ram hai hi nahi... and I don't think I am thinking of screwing my company just for heck of it.... I have some good reasons other than the one that I mentioned here....

Cool it :cool:

qwertyisback said:
Tu Ram hai ya Ravan?? Badal de apna Naam!!! Nahi to log, Ram pe bhi bharosa karana schod denge!!!

(English)
Change your name from Ram(God) to Ravan(Evil). Otherwise people won't beleive in Ram anymore

Like I said earlier.... anybodies is not the same as anybody's and I wasn't aksing anybodies opinion...... :D

Like I said you need some ENG 101 :D

blinkingstar said:
Ha ha ha

:D :D :D

forget abut me, I did not ask anybodies opinion, you are aksing for it,

then go for it.